Well, .22 is back

Keep it civil
jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road
My Bike: Kugelblitz-Kriegshammer 2200

Well, .22 is back

Post by jeffcoslacker »

I couldn't find them except sporadically and high priced for a long time now.

Now I'm finding everything and anything, including 40 gr poly-tip HV mags and snakeshot and all hella weird stuff. Plus the $3-$4 boxes of name brand LR that I haven't found in ages. I bought a 500 rnd block last night for $28. I don't know if that was good or not. Been thirty years since I bought one of those. Less than $3 for 50 though, so cheaper than the little boxes by not too much...

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Re: Well, .22 is back

Post by Tbeck »

Just be alert to what you're buying. I noticed that a lot of the LR ammo was the low velocity crap. Fine for shooting from a revolver, just not auto. I also noticed a lot of places are asking as much as you should expect to pay for the high, but it's low.
But yes there is no problems getting 22 ammo.
The funny thing is while everyone was complaining about it, there wasn't a shortage here. Now 9mm and 40 was getting harder to find here, and prices jumped.
Always wise to maintain a good stock

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

Tbeck wrote:Just be alert to what you're buying. I noticed that a lot of the LR ammo was the low velocity crap. Fine for shooting from a revolver, just not auto. I also noticed a lot of places are asking as much as you should expect to pay for the high, but it's low.
But yes there is no problems getting 22 ammo.
The funny thing is while everyone was complaining about it, there wasn't a shortage here. Now 9mm and 40 was getting harder to find here, and prices jumped.
Always wise to maintain a good stock
Weird. We had opposite. 9mm I've been buying at $10-$22/box of 50 and have over 1000 on hand. They have a lot to choose from, I like a variety to try out. I really like that Sig Sauer Elite Performance stuff.

But there was always just a massive hole on the shelf where the .22 should be, everywhere I went. Maybe it wasn't a supply problem...could be just too many folks camping out on it here waiting for it to hit the shelves. There's no minimums that I know of, where I go. I think Walmart does. I don't buy ammo from them. Too many hoops. Like they don't WANT to sell it. :bonk:

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

Jeffco, no problems finding any ammo now.
What I did notice was that folks were snapping up ammo, as much as they could get, as soon as it arrived in the stores, which had the outcome of making it appear a shortage existed.
Guy at gander mountain told me they had 2 cases of 22lr come in during the period where the net was full of shortage talk and one person bought it all. So I'm not sure it was anything more than a internet inspired shortage.

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

Tbeck wrote:Jeffco, no problems finding any ammo now.
What I did notice was that folks were snapping up ammo, as much as they could get, as soon as it arrived in the stores, which had the outcome of making it appear a shortage existed.
Guy at gander mountain told me they had 2 cases of 22lr come in during the period where the net was full of shortage talk and one person bought it all. So I'm not sure it was anything more than a internet inspired shortage.
Yeah we are "Believe any conspiracy theory and don't trust the government" central here. Wouldn't surprise me if they are dump-trucking it out fast as it goes in...

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

Another brand I like and buy a lot of is Fiocchi, which is actually made locally, down on the south side of town.

I liked the ammo before I knew that, but then I had an experience that really sealed it for me.

Going into a holiday weekend, I bought a bunch of 9mm because I planned on putting lotsa holes in stuff that weekend. I slipped into the gun shop on my lunch hour and bought my fodder.

After work I took a cursory look at my ammo, which I like to do before heading out with it, just to see if there's any glaring issues. There never has been, but this time, there was...one of the JHP's primer was either cut or folded in half, looked like a "D" in there, and you could see past it into the powder chamber.

Probably wouldn't have fired that way, but wouldn't have been real nice if it did. :blink:

So I set it aside, as the gun shop was closed and so was Fiocchi I'm sure. I sent an email and pics to the CSR at Fiocchi.

After the weekend I got a call from the CSR, he wanted to know more about Lot #, where I bought it, how long had I had it, etc. Then he said they'd like to have it back so they could take a look and see what happened there. Said they'd replace it.

He emailed me a shipping label and a HAZMAT label that I just printed off and taped to the box I sent it in, and I only had to hand it to UPS with no paper, just here ya go. UPS is actually on the other side of the wall in a shared building from where I work, so it was even easier. Didn't even have to go anywhere.

I don't think it was three days later when I got a box via UPS, with TWO boxes of JHP's for my trouble, and some Fiocchi schwag. Pretty cool! That's how you do it :rock:

PS I tried to parlay the situation into a sympathy tour of the factory. They weren't havin' it. :sad: ...their security won't allow it.

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: Road King

Post by RoadKing »

.22 is a good thing. I would love to have a Ruger .22 air rifle.
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury…
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

RoadKing wrote:.22 is a good thing. I would love to have a Ruger .22 air rifle.
Huh. I was not aware there even was such a beast. I looked on Walmart.com, $125 not bad. The reviews seemed to love the gun, hate the scope. Everybody said it takes 600-1000 rounds before it settles in and starts shooting consistently. 1000 fps not too shabby. Might try one for sniping the occasional possum or squirrel. [emoji106]

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

Looking at the Ruger Air Magnum now...even better, 1200 fps [emoji106]

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Post by jonnycando »

I note that .22 shorts are a hard find....but at least I can get all I want online. I guess shorts really went out with the blunderbuss....but some folks got some old iron that only shoots shorts!

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

jonnycando wrote:I note that .22 shorts are a hard find....but at least I can get all I want online. I guess shorts really went out with the blunderbuss....but some folks got some old iron that only shoots shorts!
You could dump a handful of shorts IN yer blunderbuss instead of rocks. That could be fun.

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: Road King

Post by RoadKing »

jeffcoslacker wrote:Looking at the Ruger Air Magnum now...even better, 1200 fps [emoji106]
I am being cautious about fps because with air guns I am told too fast decreases accuracy?
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury…
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

Forge
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: 99 Valkyrie Interstate- 05 S83

Post by Forge »

Yeah, it's been available here for a little while now after it was rediculously high at one point. I am starting to teach my boys to shoot, so we will be going through plenty of 22.
Arthritis sucks!

Elsie rider
Riding on Learners Permit
My Bike: HD Triglide

Post by Elsie rider »

Forge wrote:Yeah, it's been available here for a little while now after it was rediculously high at one point. I am starting to teach my boys to shoot, so we will be going through plenty of 22.

before the great 22 disappearing act I bought 5000 rounds I was the cool uncle as two of nephews got 1000 rounds for their birthdays.

been very available for a long time now ( unless you buy ammo at Walmart )

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

Elsie rider wrote:[

Not here. Big empty spot, everywhere I go. In fact, I was up in STL when I got most of it. The other night was the first time I'd seen any in a long time at Academy here, and while there was a fair selection, quantity of each was kinda low. They may have had backstock that needed put up, might have just caught them in a moment. But not for several years now...they've had jack shit. They had a metric shit-ton of the Remington Thunderbolt .22 in 500 rds box, that's why I bought one. Might wanna buy some more but we'll see how it shoots first.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

jeffcoslacker wrote:

Not here. Big empty spot, everywhere I go. In fact, I was up in STL when I got most of it. The other night was the first time I'd seen any in a long time at Academy here, and while there was a fair selection, quantity of each was kinda low. They may have had backstock that needed put up, might have just caught them in a moment. But not for several years now...they've had jack shit. They had a metric shit-ton of the Remington Thunderbolt .22 in 500 rds box, that's why I bought one. Might wanna buy some more but we'll see how it shoots first.
I have been using the Remington Thunderbolt .22 for years, never had a failure, or any other issue.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

Herb wrote:
jeffcoslacker wrote:

I have been using the Remington Thunderbolt .22 for years, never had a failure, or any other issue.
Yeah long ago I had one of those old Glenfield Mod 60 squirrel guns perhaps a Marlin? I think those were the stuff it liked. I remember it seemed to run best on the cheapest, raunchiest ammo I could find. Put something good in it, like CCI mini-mags or something, and it would FTF a lot.

Of course back then I didn't grasp the concept that guns were supposed to be CLEANED periodically...that poor thing probably had deposits like asphalt in it :tongue:

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

Here's a question that occurred to me soon as I fired the new piece...why do .22's have that distinct smell?

I've noticed none of my other guns have much smell, which is for me part of the enjoyment of shooting. But these spent .22's still smell like I remember. Whyzit?

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

If you like to snipe possums, but don't want to make any noise, they make 22 gas filled rounds (I think I still have some stashed). Velocity is low, but we call em 22 whisper's cause they make almost no noise.
You can't shoot possum's, coons, or skunks around here cause you aren't allowed to discharge a weapon within city limits. Whisper's make it happen without anyone knowing.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Just noticed this thread..

I was going to start a thread just like this one this morning cause this past weekend I was at our local Academy store to
purchase some 7 1/2 20 ga shotgun shells for our up coming opening day of the north dove season in west Texas at my FIL's old homestead
in Rule....Bought a case of 10 boxes for a reasonable price ..1300 fps...Western Dove Loads , season opens September the first, I purchase a
5 day special hunt license with a migratory bird stamp for $51.50...and never in all the years we've been hunting there that I'd not come home with my 75 bird limit........
..I remember one year when all the nephews were much younger ( they are all grown now and have jobs so the amount of hunters each year is limited to vacation time and retirees which ain't many) 21 hunters took to the field that afternoon to hunt on a 50 acre tract with loads of scrub brush and two tanks ( ponds for all you Yankee folk )...At the end of that day we all gathered on FIL's suburban tail gate to tally the downed birds////...............total for 3 1/2 hours hunting time was 318 birds..we miscounted twice and finally on the third count we got that number....
3 over the limit so we left them in the field for the coyote's to feast on besides the field dressing we left also......better safe than sorry...
Don't want to be caught with over the limit as the penalties far out weight the few birds.... [emoji106]

.FIL's place is pretty much isolated from other homesteads ... beings he is the last home on his road out of town (pop 471)....
Plenty of space to shoot just about anything we want to.....150 yards to the west and slightly uphill of his home is his mother's old place where an old cistern is sitting on the ground..It's about 5 foot tall and at least 7 foot in diameter.....
Makes for a good target to sight in any kind of weapon....Nearest home is something like 3.5 miles in that direction....and there is little chance of a round going any further than the cistern itself as the cistern is half full of dirt.....so there's no worry about hitting anyone down range
.....only problem is trying to mark all the existing holes in the tank as to adjust elevation and windage [emoji2] ..we use paper disposable paper targets to assure accuracy...
I've sighted in a .243 Win lever action Model 88, a .270 Win Model 70 and a .300 Win mag Model 70 using that target...all three weapons have 3x9 Leupold scopes attached ...All three ..3 shot patterns in a 5 inch bull at 150 yards.

Anyhoo.........
And on my way to the counter I noticed a stack of .22's near the check out..... stacks of boxes piled high just like the good ole days...three brands to choose from... I scooped up several boxes of CCI 40 grain for plunking when we are out west.
Why all of a sudden there is a overstock of .22's???
Prices were in line with the few places out west where I could purchase .22 ammo when I couldn't find them anywhere else...( 3 box limit )
Now I can purchase all I want, at least that's what the guy attending the counter told me....

I was at Academy not 2 months ago to check out the revolvers and there was still no .22's out on the shelves..... What happened????
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"