Prepping for my first long ride + route advice

General questions not related to any bike specifically.
Every day questions, batteries, oil, spark plugs, etc. etc!
Think if it as the, Motorcycle Chit Chat Channel.
rocksandhammers
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: 2006 Boulevard S50

Prepping for my first long ride + route advice

Post by rocksandhammers »

Hey everyone. I've been riding since last July on my '06 S50, put about 12,000 on it so far. I'm planning on making my first decent trip next week and I wanted some feedback on what I've done to prepare so far and if anyone along the way had some tips for avoiding spots with heavy construction along the way.

Currently living in Lansing, MI and I'm planning on riding down to Evansville, IN next week to stay with my girlfriend during the solar eclipse. It's a little over 400 miles and the longest I've ridden so far is close to 300 in one day, but that was still within a couple hours of home.

Within the last month or so I've done quite a bit to the ride. Lubed the throttle cable, changed the coolant, changed the clutch drive plates, did the valves, replaced the front air filter, put in DPR9 plugs, oil and filter change, put on new brake pads, and flushed the brake fluid (in that order). The only other things I was planning on doing beforehand is clean the back air filter out, change the drive oil and tighten the frame bolts to spec. While traveling I'll have just a basic wrench wrap, set of hex keys, stuff to plug the tire and some extra fuses. Is there anything I haven't done that I should? Anything else I should bring?

I was just planning on taking I-69 all the way down for the most part. I know there's some construction around Noblesville and Bloomington/Martinsville, so if anyone in Indiana has some alternate routes that won't add too much time I would appreciate it. I just don't want to get stuck in standstill traffic in the sun and having the bike get too hot.

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Re: Prepping for my first long ride + route advice

Post by old time rider »

Thats a nice easy ride to start with.Sounds like a good start.You say you got stuff to plug the tires. Are they wire wheels with tube type tires? Plugs will not work in them. You can warp a foot or so of elc. tape around the middle of a wrench or screw driver and still fit back in the tool kit.That few miles all should go good but you never know. Stop about each 100 miles,top off gas,drink some water,and walk around a bit.Use sun block if you burn and carry a sting or first bite stick of some kind.I keep one on every bike in the bug months.Extra shades.Rain gear and a dry pair of socks. Good luck and have fun. [emoji106]

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Re: Prepping for my first long ride + route advice

Post by WintrSol »

Many (if not all) states have web sites that show current and planned road work. I use those and Google Maps to find what I can avoid, and how. Sometimes, you just have to get off in a small town before the construction and ask a local how they would get around it.
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie