Must Have Tools for Bike Wrenching

This board is for all the, '"Typical stuff" you should know.
old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Re: Must Have Tools for Bike Wrenching

Post by old time rider »

On the carry with you.I have took lots of trips over the years and luck has been with me in never having to haul one out of state.The stock tool kits is lots better than none but replace any wrenches with better ones if you have then and will not take up any more room.A small channel lock,vice gripe,and adjustbale is nice if room.Many times I wrap a good size piece of elc. tape around the center part of a wrench or screw driver.If short on room this is usually still same fit in the little tool bag.A little pump like the Slime brand and plug and the small reamer and plug tool.If tube type I carried tire tools and patch kit as on the 90 Sturgis trip.Keep the heavy stuff low and even buy make a tool bag for them.Small first aid kit nice and sting stick.
When on real long trips of weeks we split up other tools etc. so we can work on all the bikes and not have to carry it all the same on every ones bike.On the three and a half week Alaska trip the two chains we had to replace was not that bad a job with four of us and a chain breaker we had with us.Chain lube is another thing if going far. Knowing the most you can about your bike and how to fix it makes for lots more peace of mind on long trips and bucket list dreams getting marked off. :cheers:

pmhearns12
Learning My Moped
My Bike: Suzuki s83

Post by pmhearns12 »

Battery powered impact driver and the right mandrels. .25 and .375 drives as well as a few screwdriver bits. Short bursts of impact along with the torque from the gun make it very simple and quick to remove stubborn and or long and or plentiful bolts

1sttightwad
Learning My Moped
My Bike: 2008 Suzuki s83

Post by 1sttightwad »

Is a Hole a tool ? ........ I don't have a floor jack, bike stand or anything like that.. With a new battery coming and watching all the battery changing videos i decided that I could either lift the bike, not possible with no lifting tools..... or go the other way to get the ground clearance for the battery box and battery to come out and just dig a hole under the btry box.. I have been eyeing the metal box that houses my water meter, hmm.... I think it might just work.. Do remember to put a board under the kick stand or do as another poster did use a stack of 2X4's bolted together and strapped down about 3 feet long and a leveraging pipe. Please read his post on how to make.. Will let you know how this "work around" goes in a couple of days.. Dave from Gods Country.... Deep South Georgia..

HARRIS
FLAT TIRE!
My Bike: VS 800- HONDA VALKYRIE- MAGNA

Post by HARRIS »

FOR BATTERY ACCESS, I USE A 2 X 6 X 18 AS A RAMP, AND A 2 X 4 BLOCK FOR THE KICK STAND. JUST REPLACED THE BATTERY FOR ONE FROM G-MAN

THE FIRST ONE LASTED 6 YEARS !
Luck & Experience:
You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck