Carb sync all Intruder models

This board is for all the, '"Typical stuff" you should know.
Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Carb sync all Intruder models

Post by Lechy »

New wrenchers keep asking about carb synch procedures, here is a Youtube video (not mine) of the procedure, it is the same for all models.
The guy uses a Carbtune, but I get just as good results using a simple U-tube manometer, can also be used to synch inline 4's (ask me for more details on how to do 4's if you need to).

[youtube][/youtube]

My set up. (click the image for a better view, to zoom in, press Ctrl and scroll the mouse-wheel)

Edit to update pic's

[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

wj_hurd
Got My M1 License!

Re: Carb synch all Intruder models

Post by wj_hurd »

I hate to be a pain in the :moon: ... But can you explain the picts some?

I was thinking of getting one of those meters and getting my carbs dialed in. That or shooting myself in the foot, it might be less painful.
1996 VS1400GL, Jardine Drag pipes, K&N Filters.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by Lechy »

It is a simple U-tube manometer which compares the vacuum on both sides. 12' of 4mm clear tubing, a couple of adapters for the vacuum ports available I believe at Harbor Freight. Some light oil , 2T or even cooking oil, if it gets into the carbs it will burn out. You will need about 15" oil on each side, hook it all up, make sure the connections are well fitted and will not draw air, start up the machine, be prepared to hit the kill switch if the carbs are badly out of balance, you will understand if it happens. Start with the idle adjust using the rearmost adjuster on the front carb, to bring the oil level into balance then rev the bike up slowly to around 3K rpm to adjust the running balance using the forward adjuster on the front carb, go back to idle and fine tune. Next is to turn down the idle to a little before stall and adjust the AF settings to achieve a smooth idle on both cylinders, re-adjust the idle to around 1100 rpm and check for balance again. If the system is leak free it is far more accurate than using vacuum gauges. If you can get the levels within 1/2" of balance then you are pretty much spot on.
Hope this helps.

[emoji41]

hurleyfrank
Learning My Moped
My Bike: vs1400 2004 still stock

Post by hurleyfrank »

thanks for this write-up; i'll have to do this procedure soon (new air filter + new exhaust) and my bike is already lean and out of balance by ear; i'm more than due for it! Hopefully, if i fuck up, one of the mechanics at my workplace will come and save me!
Bike: Suzuki VS1400 Intruder 2004. K&N drop-ins, cobra slip-ons. Living the dream!

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Suzi 1400

Post by YoDude »

@ Lechy
Off Topic
Hint: Use the 'Direct Link" that postimage offers and you can use the full sized image instead of large thumbnails. If you don't see those the "Direct Link" listed, you're probably using the original postimage site. I'd recommend you move over to the beta postimage site instead. You'll get the "Direct Links" back, though it's a little more involved to deal with (confusing at first) but you'll get used to it.

See my post in the help section.
Yo-
Intelligence is just the right thing to have, to render yourself extinct.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club

Re: Carb sync all Intruder models

Post by Lechy »

Yo, some folks have small screens or use pads, posting full size would end up knocking coffee cups off tables or overwhelming the screens on pads. I posted links so that the retrieved image could be spot zoomed for a better look at smaller areas.

[emoji41]

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Suzi 1400

Post by YoDude »

With that said, I suppose I better go watch some old films I haven't seen in a REALLY long time LOL.

Yo-
Intelligence is just the right thing to have, to render yourself extinct.

ClassicfnRD
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: Intruder vs800

Post by ClassicfnRD »

I made my manometer last night. There's more fluid in it than necessary, after all the residual tranny fluid drained down into it..a little bit goes a LONG way when you're filling it up, in case anyone is looking to make their own. I used 25 feet of 7.62 fish tank line and fish tank "air restrictors", and have the same adapters that lechy used that I ordered online (link in the description of the video he posted) since harbor freight is 60+ miles away from me in each direction, and all the parts stores in my town are trash and never have anything I need.

List of materials:
-yard stick
-clear tape
-clear hose (any will do as long as you can make everything fit air tight)
-fish tank air check valves
-Tranny fluid (not mandatory but I had some on hand)
-long 6mm adapters (the longer ones are easier to work with)

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by Lechy »

Please let us know how you did with your set up, Good, bad, how did the bike run after you finished.
Watch out for the hose and hot manifolds, had one melt on me the first time I used this set up.
[emoji41]

ClassicfnRD
Practicing Bicycling

Post by ClassicfnRD »

Lechy wrote:Please let us know how you did with your set up, Good, bad, how did the bike run after you finished.
Watch out for the hose and hot manifolds, had one melt on me the first time I used this set up.
[emoji41]
It's been raining for like 3 weeks here so I haven't been able to use it yet but I do have some spare fuel hose that I can use on the ends if the adapters end up melting the clear line.

ClassicfnRD
Practicing Bicycling

Post by ClassicfnRD »

Well, I got around to using the manometer today. It works good, but boy are my carbs way screwed up. Front carb was drawing way more vacuum under idle. Got that kind of balanced out, and the bike sounds better at idle, but the rear carb is pulling way more vacuum under throttle no matter how I adjust the throttle sync. I'm thinking the throttle adjustment on the rear carb is fucked, which should be fun....or I've got other issues going on as well. Or both. I didn't really get to spend a whole lot of time on it due to time and weather issues. But yeah, manometer works, so that's a start!

m2h
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: 03 VS1400

Post by m2h »

ClassicfnRD wrote:Well, I got around to using the manometer today. It works good, but boy are my carbs way screwed up. Front carb was drawing way more vacuum under idle. Got that kind of balanced out, and the bike sounds better at idle, but the rear carb is pulling way more vacuum under throttle no matter how I adjust the throttle sync. I'm thinking the throttle adjustment on the rear carb is fucked, which should be fun....or I've got other issues going on as well. Or both. I didn't really get to spend a whole lot of time on it due to time and weather issues. But yeah, manometer works, so that's a start!
Just check the seating of the cable on the rear carb it sits into a recessed hole, if it's on the edge it will cock up your reading bro :cheers: Keep at it it is sure as hell worth the effort when its right. [emoji106]
M2H
" Old Guys Rule!" :rock:

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by Lechy »

Try turning the quadrant on the front carb whilst holding the throttle to around 2500 rpm, see if that effects the balance.
Don't try to get the revs up by using the idle adjusting knob, it don't work that way.
When adjusting the run, if the oil levels are out of balance, dropping to idle will not immediately bring them back again. Always do the adjustment with the throttle open.
It is best to adjust the run by turning the idle down low after balancing then bring the revs up off idle a few hundred with the throttle and do step adjustments up to 3000 rpm.
[emoji41]

oldman_oldbike
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1986 Suzuki Intruder 700 VS

Post by oldman_oldbike »

Hi everyone, new to the site. Just purchased an '86 VS700 and I'm not at all familiar with these bikes. The problem my bike is having is that it is backfiring mainly on the front cyl, but occasionaly on the rear as well just off idle. When taking off, it feels as if it is running on 1 cyl until I twist it open a good ways then it'll take off like a bullet. Would/could syncing and balancing be the issue? I just replaced the plugs and did compression tests on both cyl's and all that is fine. Plugs firing well also. The guy I bought it from just had the carbs removed and completely went through and cleaned up. So I'm thinking that this may be the issue. Has anyone else had this issue? Thanks in advance for any help.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by Lechy »

First off try adjusting the AF:
[youtube][/youtube]

Then do a synch.

[emoji41]

35se
Learning My Moped
My Bike: 1987 vs1400 intruder

Post by 35se »

I've watched the videos like 15 times :?

I can't seem to locate the places to put the tubes for the tune. He has an 800 which I guess is a little different? Bc when I look where he is I don't see what he describes. I can't seem to find any pictures or anything on the web.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

35se wrote:I've watched the videos like 15 times :?

I can't seem to locate the places to put the tubes for the tune. He has an 800 which I guess is a little different? Bc when I look where he is I don't see what he describes. I can't seem to find any pictures or anything on the web.
The rear carb is the same for the 1400/800.
The front carb for the 1400 has a hose for the boost sensor, disconnect that hose and hook your gauge there.

35se
Learning My Moped
My Bike: 1987 vs1400 intruder

Post by 35se »

Looking at the manual it's the only thing I can see to try

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qlh3xRfuBAoDBkUn2

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

That's it, remove that screw, insert threaded adapter tube.

HDR
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 1997 Suzuki Intruder vs800gl

Post by HDR »

Good morning Intruders, hope you and yours are all well. Anyhow, I was looking into making this sort of tool today but I had one question. I apologize in advance if it's a stupid question I just want to be sure. I've seen tools like this on you tube but using bottles. One per carb. So there obviously there's 2 sere of liquid to use as marker for the syncing. There's an obvious physical and clear separation of the performance of each carburator therefore making it clear on what adjustments to make. I don't see any separation of the liquid on these pictures. Should the tube perhaps be cut & sealed at the bottom of the yardstick? 🤔 Sorry... Hmmm....🤔 As I was typing it , it doesn't make sense. Anyhow. This should all be one long tube that'll beat the 2 carbs?? Please advise, thank you.