Paint codes

This board is for all the, '"Typical stuff" you should know.
wj_hurd
Got My M1 License!

Paint codes

Post by wj_hurd »

Hello gents!
Yea long time no posting! Well if ya aint got nothin good to say, ya keep your trap shut! :lmao:

Any hoooo :Umm:

I'm wanting to paint the tank on my scoot. I'm trying to figure out which paint color I have. I think my paint color is Suzuki 33J Pearl Novelty Black Black/Maroon Model. This is pretty accurate of my bike This is according to http://www.colorrite.com/
The paint has a ton of flake in it, and a pearl like look.
So my question...
Does anyone have experience with colorrite?
They have 2 options I'm thinking of.
1.) A rattle can of just the color - $34.00
2.) A full kit with primer, sandpaper, tack cloths, prep wipes, clear coat, tape and rubbing compound - $80.00

So I know enough about body work I know I can make the tank nice and smooth, and have the paint come out nice. I'm just concerned about the products and the quality of them.
I know I can get most of the stuff from a local parts store (Primer, tack cloths, clear coat, tape, compound etc), but not sure if the price is right.

So any thoughts guys?
1996 VS1400GL, Jardine Drag pipes, K&N Filters.

wj_hurd
Got My M1 License!

Re: Paint codes

Post by wj_hurd »

Wow!!! No one?!?!? ;IDunno:
:soapbox:
1996 VS1400GL, Jardine Drag pipes, K&N Filters.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: Paint codes

Post by navigator »

Automotive paint is not cheap, obtaining the right color is key to matching.
You can bring a side panel to an auto paint store, have it scanned, and buy a quart of color which you then have to reduce and put in a sprayer....or you can get a rattle can from colorite and then clear it with a clear rattle can....no sprayer involved.

You need to weigh the costs/trouble between the two.

If your question is if Colorite sells a quality product...the answer is yes. I have used their touchup bottles.
If your question is the price between paint only for $34 or a kit for $80 a good deal, you would have to price out the components locally to see if it costs you more or less than the $46 difference. Also consider tax locally vs. shipping.

I bought Candy Apple Red touch up from them, 2 stage paint....silver base coat (pearly), Red color coat (with flakes) then cleared it. Matched the bike nicely.