Must Have Tools for Bike Wrenching

This board is for all the, '"Typical stuff" you should know.
Jolsen
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: ZG-XII and VS-XIV
Moniker: Postmaster

Re: Must Have Tools for Bike Wrenching

Post by Jolsen »

JIS screwdrivers save lots of head aches and stripped screws
VS1400 Wiring Diagram INFOWARS
Its not my job to prove myself every time I state facts. Its YOUR job to look it up and find out what I say is true.

tc1400
Got My M1 License!

Post by tc1400 »

What would you do if you were riding out in the country and got a flat? With tube tires, what are the options? This is a very real and probable scenario for all of us. Any thoughts here?

tc1400
Got My M1 License!

Post by tc1400 »

OK, that's a start. It would be interesting to get several inputs on this.

tc1400
Got My M1 License!

Post by tc1400 »

I know the tire thing may not belong on this thread but I was thinking of things you might carry with you on the road in case of emergency. Not just wrenching at home.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

98VS1400 wrote:
tc1400 wrote:What would you do if you were riding out in the country and got a flat? With tube tires, what are the options? This is a very real and probable scenario for all of us. Any thoughts here?
Based on where we ride, I have wondered this too. I looked at the green goo you can buy in walmart and they have some for motorcycle tires. But, when reading the can, it seems it is primarily designed for dirt bikes. I bet in a pinch it would work. I'm hoping someone else can confirm this though!
I use Ride-on Tire Sealant inside my Tires. IIRC, the Green Goo has a speed limit something like 60 MPH.

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

tc1400
Got My M1 License!

Post by tc1400 »

Here's a home-made tool that will come in handy. I recently had to lower my footpeg bracket in order to remove both clutch and stator covers. I replaced a stator and installed designer's springs at the same time. I needed a simple way to support the bike with no side stand and it was easy. I stacked (4) three foot sections of 2x4 boards securing all four boards to each other using 3" wood screws. I drilled a 1 1/4" hole through all four boards on one end, marking and drilling the holes before I attached them.

Placing the board stack one its side (hole facing horizontally) I positioned it directly under the battery box. I placed a long 4 ft pipe into the holes with the pipe extension facing the front of the bike. Pull up on the pipe (like a lever) and rotate it 90 degrees so the pipe is vertical. (sorry, no picture of this stage)

I placed a small kitchen throw rug over the board stack to protect the frame and aid in rotating the boards.

The height of four boards was just enough to fully stabilize the bike and not lift it more then I needed. At no time did the bike feel unstable. It was rock solid through the entire procedure. The battery box will support the weight with no problem. The weight is supported on the sides of the battery box - the battery door is recessed. Also, there is about 1/2 inch clearance between the board stack and the bottom of the stock pipes. Lowering the bike was just as easy. Insert the pipe in the hole and push forward rotating the stack back to its side. Slide the boards out and store it for later.

In this picture I had the footpeg bracket attached loosely just to hold it in place. You could make the boards longer and attach a ratchet strap over the bike to each end but was very stable anyway. Hope this helps someone.

Jolsen
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: ZG-XII and VS-XIV
Moniker: Postmaster

Post by Jolsen »

Even cheaper

VS1400 Wiring Diagram INFOWARS
Its not my job to prove myself every time I state facts. Its YOUR job to look it up and find out what I say is true.

tc1400
Got My M1 License!

Post by tc1400 »

Certainly this concept is nothing new but after looking under the bike I wasn't sure at first if this was going to work on these. Point being is the battery box will support the weight.

DMIntruder
Riding on Learners Permit

Post by DMIntruder »

I have the wooded stand also. I also have a motorcycle lift like the one below. I use them both for various things. The wood rear stand for oil changes, dropping the footrest. The lift for working on the front end, removing the wheels, etc.

dm1400
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: 1995 VS1400

Post by dm1400 »

Here's a link to the DIY bike lift. I built mine last winter & it's easy to make, & easy to use.

http://www.intruderalert.com/cafe/index ... cID=237555

ddog6900
Joined a 250cc Club

Post by ddog6900 »

Common sense :uhh:

dm1400
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: 1995 VS1400

Post by dm1400 »

ddog6900 wrote:Common sense :uhh:
Yes!!! And unfortunately many owners leave it out of their tool kit.

dallascoslacker
Learning My Moped
My Bike: Huffy

Post by dallascoslacker »

A good hand impact driver will save you from a lot of broken/rounded bolts if they don't wanna bust loose with a normal amount of force. Bikes are good for seized nuts and bolts.

Certified Road Rage Instructor

dallascoslacker
Learning My Moped
My Bike: Huffy

Post by dallascoslacker »

Forgot to mention...as far as essential tools to CARRY...for me a small vice grip is a must-have.

There are so many ways this can be useful with a bike, and perhaps the difference between riding it home vs having to call someone with a pickup or trailer...

Dropped it and broke the clutch lever off? Vice Grip works fine for an ersatz clutch lever. Just clamp it down tight to what's left of the original.

Same thing for the shifter. Break it off or say it just works loose and falls off 100 miles back for some reason...Vice Grip saves the day. Clamp it on the selector shaft and GO.

Can be used as a stand-in for a lost footpeg in a bind...long as you just need a place to rest yer foot. I wouldn't try standing up on it :uhh:

Lug breaks off the ground cable from unseen corrosion? Peel the insulator back, clamp the cable to the motor, back in business.

Not to mention it works in a pinch for any nuts/bolts you don't have the proper size for. One nice thing about metric bikes...if you just carry a 10/12mm combo wrench you can work on about 75% of it...
Certified Road Rage Instructor

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Post by WintrSol »

A good tool to have is a service manual, preferably, one published by Suzuki. It will help you use all those other tools. :soapbox:
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie

lonerider
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: vs1400

Post by lonerider »

tc1400 wrote:I know the tire thing may not belong on this thread but I was thinking of things you might carry with you on the road in case of emergency. Not just wrenching at home.
For many years, all I carried with me was flat head and philips screwdrivers, a medium vice grip, and a crescent wrench.
And run your bike with tubeless rims and a plug kit. Oh yeah, a little roll of duct tape and a wire coat hanger completes
things. I can't remember a time when this little bundle didn't pull me through a rough spot on the road.

:cheers:

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

Have got manuals for lots of my bikes but found some of the after market ones show you short cuts and how to make home made tools that the maker manuals do not.The internet makes this far better with good tec sites lots of places.Have a lift and when drag racing 1977-1987 made me a work bench about three feet high and a pull out part under the rear wheel.It has stuff stacked so high now would take me a day to clear it.I need to start selling more of my old car motorcycle parts and junk.Have been same place since 1965 and am a pac rat :bonk: :bonk: .

SuzyRidr2
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: 2001 Suzuki VL1500

Post by SuzyRidr2 »

Beer. Never work on your ride unless your garage or work shop fridge has a sufficient stock of beer. One never knows what kind of rat's nest a simple maintenance or repair job might turn into. Beer relieves stress when things go south and can enhance critical thinking when stuck on a solution to your problem. You're welcome. [emoji106]
lovineveryminuteofit

Night_Wolf
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: 2006 1400 Intruder

Post by Night_Wolf »

One item I will ad to the tool list, especially since we are all predominantly riding Japanese motorcycles

A set of JIS screwdrivers. Look like Phillips screwdrivers, but have a different "cam" on them & will prevent most of the "stripping" we experience when working on our bikes.

When mine showed up the little lady asked me "Why are you buying more screwdrivers?" since I have a pretty well stocked tool box. Once I explained what these actually were, she understood my purchase

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Hozan-JIS-4-JIS- ... Sw7ehXQ-ti
Type @ Ya'll Later
Night_Wolf

Intruder Alert Canada/Night_Wolf's Lair

Alberta Adventure Riders

2006 VS1400 Image 2020 V85TT Image

draggindakota
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 01 VS800

Post by draggindakota »

dallascoslacker wrote:A good hand impact driver will save you from a lot of broken/rounded bolts if they don't wanna bust loose with a normal amount of force. Bikes are good for seized nuts and bolts.

This! These things are a godsend for getting bowl screws loose on carbs!

I got this one one sale for $7: http://www.harborfreight.com/impact-scr ... 37530.html