2006 VS1400 Cast Rims

Start you OWN thread here to show off your bike or bikes you've owned over the years.
Please respect other threads by not posting pics of your bike(s) on someone elses thread.
Night_Wolf
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: 2006 1400 Intruder

2006 VS1400 Cast Rims

Post by Night_Wolf »

I'll start this thread for the slow transformations taking place with my 2006 1400 Intruder

Some of you may remember that I purchased a set of cast rims from Bronx Intruder [emoji2] Well to say the rims were in bad shape would be an understatement, but I knew this & went ahead. By the time I had them in my grubby little hands I was into them for about $1200.00 USD or $1500 CDN. :bonk:

Took them to a shop in town & had them strip the chrome which cost me another $300.00 :blink:

Original rims as posted by Bronx Intruder

Original rims as posted by Bronx Intruder

Chrome stripped (notice the pitting)

Chrome Stripped

Polished (1 side)

Polished (1 side) small blemmish

Polished (1 side) small blemmish

Polished (1 side)

Only one side has been completed so far and this side will get at least 2 more compounds applied with the buffing wheel, once I get the other side completed started.

Since these will NOT be clear coated, anyone have ideas on the best way to keep the shine/seal the finish? I was thinking of applying a cpl coats of Liquid Glass (Eddie D used to swear by the stuff)

free photo hosting
Type @ Ya'll Later
Night_Wolf

Intruder Alert Canada/Night_Wolf's Lair

Alberta Adventure Riders

2006 VS1400 Image 2020 V85TT Image

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: 2006 VS1400 Cast Rims

Post by navigator »

For sealing, try this stuff, it works well.
The Metal Gloss is used to clean and polish the metal and the Sealer Gloss is used to seal and protect the metal.

IIRC it was Cuban that turned me on to this stuff.

scootermcq
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: VS1400 + VL1500

Post by scootermcq »

scootermcq wrote:
Night_Wolf wrote: Since these will NOT be clear coated, anyone have ideas on the best way to keep the shine/seal the finish? I was thinking of applying a cpl coats of Liquid Glass (Eddie D used to swear by the stuff)
Gord's Aluminium Polish the stuff works awesome.

http://gordsaluminumpolish.com/

It is a little pricey, but the shine keeps getting better and it seals the aluminium.

Left done, right not

I polished every inch of a Virago with wheels & compound and then used Gords to maintain
Scott

scootermcq
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: VS1400 + VL1500

Post by scootermcq »

Here is another piece I did....

I had started to polish it already, but you can see what I started with.

Polished & Sealed with Gords
Scott

Night_Wolf
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by Night_Wolf »

scootermcq wrote:
scootermcq wrote: Gord's Aluminium Polish the stuff works awesome.

http://gordsaluminumpolish.com/

It is a little pricey, but the shine keeps getting better and it seals the aluminium.

Left done, right not

I polished every inch of a Virago with wheels & compound and then used Gords to maintain
I have deep pitting in the chrome, through to the aluminum that this probably won't get out. Look at the "scallops" in the before picture of the front wheel, I can make it shine but I want the pitting gone
Type @ Ya'll Later
Night_Wolf

Alberta Adventure Riders

Night_Wolf
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by Night_Wolf »

Well I have one side of the rear mag wheel polished almost; it has only been hit with the 1st compound, still have to hit it with the 2nd (brown) compound, 3rd (white) compound & of course the 4th & final (red) compound. I plan on getting the 2nd brown compound on & then I have to do some more work on the other side before I start hitting it with the buffing wheel & compounds

What the rims looked like when originally posted by Bronx Intruder

Rough Shape

Rough Shape

Rough Shape

Rough Shape

Rough Shape

Rough Shape

Chrome Stripped paid $300 to have the chrome stripped from the rims. The shop that sent them out offered to polish or chrome them for approximately $400.00 each :eek: Since they were almost $100.00 over on the cost to stripping the chrome I can guess how off their quote to polish or chrome them would have been :bang:

Chrome Stripped notice the pitting

My work so far to get to this stage; since I am out of work I figured what the hell give it a go & try to polish the rims myself. Started with 60 grit sandpaper on the palm sander followed by 120 grit & then repeat at least 3 times until I removed all the deep pitting. Then I started with 180 grit wet sandpaper, followed by 200 grit, 400 grit, 600 grit, 800 grit, 1000 grit & finally 2000 grit :shock:

I will admit I was seriously kicking my ass over buying the rims with the amount of work I was going to put into getting these rims ready for installation. Now that they are at this stage I can say I am extremly happy to know they will look awesome on The Mistress

This 1st picture was last night after I finished sanding them with the wet sandpaper & I gave the one section a quick hit of Autosol polish

My work so far these last 2 pictures show how much the polishing compound on the wheel makes the rims shine even more. I'm using a 4" buffing wheel on my cordless drill & yes I have different wheels for each stage of compound

My work so far

image ru

I also have Turtle Wax Rubbing compound & Turtle Wax Polishing compound; am I better off not using these & just using some Mothers or similar polish once I have finished with the buffing wheels?
Type @ Ya'll Later
Night_Wolf

Alberta Adventure Riders

dwd58
Riding on Learners Permit
My Bike: 2005 s83

Post by dwd58 »

Those look great ! Very good job, man.

Leckbass
Got My M1 License!
My Bike: 1992 Intruder 1400

Post by Leckbass »

Wow, impressive!

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Suzi 1400

Post by YoDude »

How about a bigger fuel tank? Can ya do that too?

Yo-
Intelligence is just the right thing to have, to render yourself extinct.