Sportster in garage

Click to Enter!
old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Re: Sportster in garage

Post by old time rider »

Liked my low bar plain jane sportster lots more than my fancy low one with buckhorns.Was 49 when I took it on a allmost 4,000 mile eight day west trip with all camp gear and middle size shield on it.We campped every night and even with being in top third of traffic still got 55mpg! Key for me on days of 600 or more is to stand often.The low bar fit me perfect for that.32 inseam.The Vstrom is first bike owned since that is as good at standing for miles and feel good.Put 11,000 on that sportster in one week less than a year and sold it for more than I rolled it out for.It was a 95.Allso sold my 97 for more allso but only put 6,000 on it.Crazy 90s are gone.Both were one of three bikes at the time being rode and not my main bike.

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Post by jonnycando »

Well, checked the head numbers...they are early 883 evo heads...reportedly the earliest batch with rough casting. What I read is the valve seats had enough meat to grind them out for 1200 valves, and a port and polish would finish the job. So if this engine has been bored and the heads prepped, as well as it is pulling I'd say it is in fact built into a 1200.

Here the little beastie is.....definitely a beater but a little...ok a lot of elbow grease and some new parts......

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by jonnycando »

That's elbow grease yer looking at.....it needs a bit more. The paint is coming off...bad prep. And what I've been able to find on Fleabay, gently used tranmissions.....trap door....gears and the whole banana around 350 ish....not terrible...probably cheaper than removing what's there and having the local dealer rebuild it.

MattSunn
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Sportsters

Post by MattSunn »

That's not bad. Looks like gas got to the tank paint. 800 bux and Mexican designer is a pretty good price. [emoji106] That's got possibilities.

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by jonnycando »

The paint is not adhering well and certainly gas fumes made easy work around the gas bung. Right under the cap there's heavy rust, and since sportster peanut tanks are a dime a dozen, a new one will be in order when the owner decides to paint. Probably just a little more coin and a 3 gallon tank could be had.

Oh, and I am talking turkey with the Triumph dealer about a Rocket III Touring. He's only got a Roadster in stock, but can either special order or do a dealer exchange if one I like can be found. (I want the red and black one.) Maybe end of May I have me one if the terms work for me. I never financed a motorcycle before, but since I've been buying them used I haven't needed to.

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by jonnycando »

I am salivating I can assure....the get up and go of the Intruder has me hankering for more. And I can tell you that being long leggedy, few bikes really feel comfortable, but I can stretch out nicely on a Rocket Touring. It'll have highway pegs, but where on some bikes, that's a necessity...on this, it'll just be a cherry on the ice cream!

But back to the torque....I do think a safe bike is one that will get out of it's own way!

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by jonnycando »

There's an explorer right inside the front door and it's od green....schweeeet!

MattSunn
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Sportsters

Post by MattSunn »

Are you gonna be selling this Sporty or trading it toward the Triumph?

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: 03 HD FLHT 01 Yamaha XVS650

Post by enforcer »

98VS1400 wrote:For a unique experience Jonny, when at the dealer, ask for a test spin on the Tiger Explorer 1200. While not a Rocket, it does have 135HP and 85 ft/lbs of torque. The riding position is the best part of all though. If you do it, get the 1200 above 6,000 RPMs. That's where the sweet spot is and the triple's growl.
I agree. Power to weight ratio is where it's at. But I rode a Rocket about the same time I rode a VTX1800 and I have to say, especially in the corners, even though balanced and powerful, feel like the heavy sows they are.

I'll bet the Tiger handles like my Beemer with just a little more clearance and a little less weight. Not a bad thing, just not completely comfy for those used to cruisers. Probably could do all day in the saddle without the pressure on my back, but my legs are a but cramped. Probably just need to adjust the seat height.

That being said, the most well balanced heavy cruiser I've ridden is the Raider. And Yammys do hold their value better than Triumphs. Just my 2¢.
Current rides: 03 HD FLHT & 01 Yamaha XVS650(BIP)
Former: 87 Suzuki VS700, 94 BMW K1100LT & 91 Honda CB250

I don't want to own them all, just ride them all.

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by jonnycando »

MattSunn wrote:Are you gonna be selling this Sporty or trading it toward the Triumph?
It's not my sporty, it's just living in my garage. Kin you know....And no my Intruder is not going to be sold either.

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by jonnycando »

enforcer wrote:
98VS1400 wrote:For a unique experience Jonny, when at the dealer, ask for a test spin on the Tiger Explorer 1200. While not a Rocket, it does have 135HP and 85 ft/lbs of torque. The riding position is the best part of all though. If you do it, get the 1200 above 6,000 RPMs. That's where the sweet spot is and the triple's growl.
I agree. Power to weight ratio is where it's at. But I rode a Rocket about the same time I rode a VTX1800 and I have to say, especially in the corners, even though balanced and powerful, feel like the heavy sows they are.

I'll bet the Tiger handles like my Beemer with just a little more clearance and a little less weight. Not a bad thing, just not completely comfy for those used to cruisers. Probably could do all day in the saddle without the pressure on my back, but my legs are a but cramped. Probably just need to adjust the seat height.

That being said, the most well balanced heavy cruiser I've ridden is the Raider. And Yammys do hold their value better than Triumphs. Just my 2¢.
A well cared for Harley holds value pretty good too...but when I buy, I buy to have, not to maintain a selling price. By the time I will be done with it, it will be done for. Once bought it is mine....I will never get rid of it.

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by enforcer »

jonnycando wrote:
enforcer wrote:

A well cared for Harley holds value pretty good too...but when I buy, I buy to have, not to maintain a selling price. By the time I will be done with it, it will be done for. Once bought it is mine....I will never get rid of it.
Honestly, I wanted to do that, but couldn't really afford new. So I bought used with a good value when the financing is over. That way, if I'm bored with it in 5 years, I can get something else. Like a nice preowned Vic Cross Country. :naughty:

Besides, Harley upgrades add value, and I won't have to strip them off if I decide to trade in or sell on, just to get my money back. :lmao:

Still liked the Raider tho. It's one to test ride before you decide for sure. :wink:

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by jonnycando »

Yammies are bikes to admire, but the Rocket has me smitten, and the Raider don't fit me right.

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by enforcer »

jonnycando wrote:Yammies are bikes to admire, but the Rocket has me smitten, and the Raider don't fit me right.
I think Cajun had a Rocket III IIRC. Too bad he never made it over here. I'm sure he'd have something good to say about it.

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by enforcer »

98VS1400 wrote:
enforcer wrote:
jonnycando wrote:Yammies are bikes to admire, but the Rocket has me smitten, and the Raider don't fit me right.
I think Cajun had a Rocket III IIRC. Too bad he never made it over here. I'm sure he'd have something good to say about it.
He did make it over, just with a new name. Can't remember it right now, but I know he hasn't been active in a while.

EDIT: His new name is Steel, and he has a 2012 Rocket III.

http://www.intruders-alert.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=508
Wow, that was a while ago.I could've never remembered that far back. Doubt he's been back since.

Steel
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: Intruder 1400

Post by Steel »

Yes I do have a Rocket 3 Roadster, and stock it is a beast. With a few mods it's like no other cruiser out there. I sent mine to Carpenter Racing for a motor package.
Carpenter 265 hp dyno.png
If you have a Touring there is a great tune you can download to give you 30 more hp with no mods.
Check out the forum r3owners.net

For the heavy feeling in the turns some people switch to a 140 front tire and claim it feels 150 pounds lighter than with the stock 150 tire.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
New and improved, now with 30% more sarcasm.

Steel
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Steel »

You're welcome [emoji106]

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by jonnycando »

I don't mind a slight heavy feeling....muscling over in turns makes me feel like I have more control....well more feedback and all and tells me what to do next.

Steel
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Steel »

I don't think it's too heavy, but I was riding a C109 before I got the Rocket. It handles turns better than my M109 did too. Not as light feeling, but much more lean angle.

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by jonnycando »

Ground clearance is handy....I don't mind using my pegs as curb feelers...but I hate buying more pegs!