Tools To Carry

The information presented here applies to most all motorcycles in general.
Night_Wolf
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: 2006 1400 Intruder

Tools To Carry

Post by Night_Wolf »

Tools To Carry

Contents Of The OEM Suzuki Toolkit

Open End Wrenches Metric:10mm, 12mm, 14mm, 17mm
Screwdrivers: Flat Blade, #2 Phillips, #3 Phillips
Pliers, Allen Wrenches: 6mm, 12mm
Sparkplug Wrench
Rolling Bike
Skoops Toolkit
The rest of this can be found @ Night_Wolf's Lair/Wrenching & Tips
Type @ Ya'll Later
Night_Wolf

Intruder Alert Canada/Night_Wolf's Lair

Alberta Adventure Riders

2006 VS1400 Image 2020 V85TT Image

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Re: Tools To Carry

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

You'd be surprised how many of those metric wrenches fit on my Harley [emoji2]
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

If you plan to travel to places that a cell will not work at better learn to use tools.Just packing them does not work.If you do all the work yourself or most of it you will know what you need for your bike and what to carry.On our DeadHorse,Alaska trip we were all on Vstroms with no chase.Two 1000 and two 650 so lots of the tools were the same.This way we each could leave some tools instead of all having a full set of all may need stuff.Tire irons,elc test,air pumps,etc.When camping all the time room is a big thing.Three and a half weeks.Two flats,two chains,and each a oil change.All mine and the other 650 needed was a oil change in Alaska that we did ourself.Plan ahead for long trips and so much better.Only way mine will be hauled is because it is broken too bad to fix on the road.

NE_FL
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: VS1400

Post by NE_FL »

A good tool to have in the kit is a medium size Vice Grip locking pliers. It can be used as a clamp to hold stuff together, or to hold rounded nuts and bolts.

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Suzi 1400

Post by YoDude »

I would consider Vice-Grips as a "last resort" tool to use if there's nothing else left to do the job. Otherwise, I'd personally refrain from using them unless there's no other choice. They are a good hand tool to have handy though, just in case. [emoji106]

Yo-
Intelligence is just the right thing to have, to render yourself extinct.

NE_FL
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by NE_FL »

Have you ever loosened a nut but then have the nut and bolt all start turning together? The last resort vice grips come in handy to hold the bolt from turning. They are useful in many ways, I never leave home without them. [emoji106]

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Suzi 1400

Post by YoDude »

Yes, I agree, they are handy. But, they can end up causing problems too. The trick is know when to use them and what you're using them on. I'm sure Fred will come around sometime soon to correct me.

Yo-
Intelligence is just the right thing to have, to render yourself extinct.

old time rider
Back on the Road

Post by old time rider »

Once a shifter fell off a old custom shovel we were with.We took a small pair of vice grips and got them as tight as we could get them together on the shaft then warp duct tape around the handles.He rode the two hours home that way.
Met two young guys out side of Harrodsburg before we had the bypass around 81.Was on a GS1100 Suzuki and they were on a 650 Yamaha brit lookin twin and a GS550 Suzuki four.The Yamaha had broken a clutch cable down low.I have took them and loop around my had if broke at top.They were headed to the Suzuki/Yamaha dealer on other side of town.They asked me to go to the shop and tell them to come and pick it up."Have you ever rode a sport bike this big,"I asked.The yamaha rider told me his dad had one just like it and had let him ride it often.Let them push me and put it in second after letting all the way off the gas.Told one to get in front and other behine with lots of room."If I have to kill it at a light we just do it again",told them.
Luck was with us and made it through all lights with out a stop or having to kill it.They acted like that was the greatest thing They had ever seen.About anyone thats rode long and do much roadside have done it I bet.Old dirt bike rides about all have come out of the sticks with a broken cable at one time or the other.After rolling not that hard just stay away from everyone [emoji2] .Just let up shift and not hard.You can do it with old cars/trucks allso.

NE_FL
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by NE_FL »

Oh yeah, that's another good thing to have in the kit....duct tape. :cheers:

old time rider
Back on the Road

Post by old time rider »

CarlDavid since room is often so needed on a motorcycle I often just take a wrench out of the stock tool kit and wrap some duct tape around the shaft of the wrench.Same with some elc tape on another or around the shaft of the screwdriver.This way everything can fit back in the little tool kit.Allso enough room for some good wire doubled a few times and maybe a nut and bolt.Have used all this stuff on the road at times over the years.