what cable is this

Luis_o_98
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: s83

what cable is this

Post by Luis_o_98 »

I feel like my cabs are not running right. I had them rebuild and synced in Jan. but my fuel mileage has gone way down and I can smell lots of fuel, in fact I reak of fuel when I'm done riding. I went and bought a carb sync gauge to check sync. today I went down to the garage to look at the bike to figure out where to hook up the vacuum hoses for the gauge and noticed one of the cables on the front carb was very loose. can someone tell me which cable I have shown in the pics

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: what cable is this

Post by navigator »

Can't see the pictures, but on the front carb, the forward cable is the throttle, the rear cable is the sync.

Luis_o_98
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Luis_o_98 »

from that info its the sync cable. i noticed when the bike was running if pulled on the bike would rev up

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

Some pictures would help us help you alot better. I gave up on Photobucket when they changed their "policy" about third party hosting.

I now use this site....it's FREE! too!.. :rock:

https://postimages.org/

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

Luis_o_98
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Luis_o_98 »

Designer wrote:Some pictures would help us help you alot better. I gave up on Photobucket when they changed their "policy" about third party hosting.

I now use this site....it's FREE! too!.. :rock:

https://postimages.org/
thanks for the link i fixed the pics

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Good Deal! :clap: [space] And we see that Navigator is correct, it is the Carb Sync Cable. [emoji106]

And I see that the Lock Nut for the Adjuster is not tightened to the Adjuster Mounting Arm at all. This doesn't bode well for a well-tuned set of Carbs. :uhh:

And that your Cable has a slight Bend in it. (just to the Right of the Red Arrow in your First Picture). Since this adjustment is VERY sensitive, I would suggest you straighten out that little bend first.

And you definitely need to perform a Carb Synchronization.

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS

Luis_o_98
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Luis_o_98 »

thanks for all the info. i guess this is what i get for taking my bike to a shop(though it did have great reviews) and not doing the work myself :bang:

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Since the work was done at a shop, I would take it back and make them fix it right.

That is why you pay for work.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Do point out that they didn't even tighten the Adjusting Barrel Lock Nut. That is CRITICAL.

It must be tightened if the adjustment is to be accurate and to last. (and the setting IS very sensitive,.... to even a mere 1/8th turn of the Adjusting Barrel.)