Final day of judgement

Discuss these subjects at your own risk!
You may find your way to Eden or the garden of Hell!
I will NOT be responsible for where you might end up!
hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Re: Final day of judgement

Post by hillsy »

Herb wrote:
If you don't understand it right now, no amount of explanation will ever help.
That's called a "cop out".....

Sarge1400
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 1993 VS1400

Post by Sarge1400 »

Herb wrote:If you don't understand it right now, no amount of explanation will ever help.
I'll take that as a tacit admission that you are unable to explain the "huge difference" that you asserted exists.
Herb wrote:It is called faith and it is what is required for all religions.
That's fine, but why do believers only fall back on this when they are cornered and cannot give answers to logical questions? Until that point, it is all asserted as if it were fact.
Herb wrote:Since you don't' believe in a soul or a diety, they are a myth to you.
They are a myth because there is no evidence for their existence. Just like unicorns.
Herb wrote:So why are you on this board? Just trolling?
Do discuss my religious beliefs (or lack thereof). And you?

Sarge1400
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Sarge1400 »

Designer wrote: Good points Herb.
Hardly. Herb took the easy way out and offered nothing of substance.
Designer wrote:Trying to discuss God and Religion with them is much akin to trying to talk cooking with someone who has lacks the sensory perception of taste. Sight, sound, touch and smell is all they have, and thus cannot fathom the best part of Food.
LOL, this is just a wordier way of saying "if I have to explain it to you, you wouldn't understand". I would bet I'm more educated about Christianity and the bible than the average believer on this forum. In fact, studying the bible (I was a believer at the time) is what led me to atheism.
Designer wrote:As that metaphor applies here, all they know is only what Science and their 5 senses tells them. [space] Anything that is beyond that, they can tell themselves doesn't exist.....for it is all that their limited 'enlightenment' of Science and 5 senses tells them can be.
An extremely large part of your existence today relies on scientific breakthroughs. I would assume you take medicines when needed, eat foods that you did not raise, and rely on modern mechanical and electronic devices. Why do you trust in and rely on science when it is convenient for you, and besmirch it when it conflicts with your religious beliefs?
Designer wrote:Just look at what Fred and Half-crazy post. [space] Anytime mention is made of God, Soul, etc....out comes their Yardstick of Science and such,..never able to see that their 3-foot Yardstick is just not big enough to "measure" the existence of that which is FAR beyond it.
Then by what 'yardstick' can it be measured? Belief is not a measurement system.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

Just like Half-crazy,...your reliance of only The Bible as being the source for your "understanding" of what is God and Religion begets your very narrow viewpoint of both.

As I said,....you rely on Science and your 5 Senses as being the only "measure" of what can be,sSo it is no wonder you postulate as you do. There is more,...you won't be able to "see" it because you limit your acceptance to only what they provide as results.

No worries, We are all here for such an infinitesimally tiny tiny amount of time....your day will come all too soon. ;)

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Sarge1400 wrote:
Designer wrote:Trying to discuss God and Religion with them is much akin to trying to talk cooking with someone who has lacks the sensory perception of taste. Sight, sound, touch and smell is all they have, and thus cannot fathom the best part of Food.
LOL, this is just a wordier way of saying "if I have to explain it to you, you wouldn't understand". I would bet I'm more educated about Christianity and the bible than the average believer on this forum. In fact, studying the bible (I was a believer at the time) is what led me to atheism.
Designer wrote:As that metaphor applies here, all they know is only what Science and their 5 senses tells them. [space] Anything that is beyond that, they can tell themselves doesn't exist.....for it is all that their limited 'enlightenment' of Science and 5 senses tells them can be.
An extremely large part of your existence today relies on scientific breakthroughs. I would assume you take medicines when needed, eat foods that you did not raise, and rely on modern mechanical and electronic devices. Why do you trust in and rely on science when it is convenient for you, and besmirch it when it conflicts with your religious beliefs?
Designer wrote:Just look at what Fred and Half-crazy post. [space] Anytime mention is made of God, Soul, etc....out comes their Yardstick of Science and such,..never able to see that their 3-foot Yardstick is just not big enough to "measure" the existence of that which is FAR beyond it.
Then by what 'yardstick' can it be measured? Belief is not a measurement system.
You are just another internet troll looking to get your jollies but harassing someone. Well, it isn't gonna be me.

You are now blocked.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Sarge1400
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Sarge1400 »

Designer wrote:Just like Half-crazy,...your reliance of only The Bible as being the source for your "understanding" of what is God and Religion begets your very narrow viewpoint of both.
The bible is not my only source for understanding what gods or religions are.
Designer wrote:As I said,....you rely on Science and your 5 Senses as being the only "measure" of what can be,sSo it is no wonder you postulate as you do. There is more,...you won't be able to "see" it because you limit your acceptance to only what they provide as results.
I can't see air either, but I can test for it, and provide verifiable, falsifiable evidence of its existence. The same cannot be said about any gods. That your feelings tell you gods exist is of no importance, same as if I told you I felt that invisible pink unicorns exist.

Hundreds if not thousands of gods have been claimed to exist by various cultures for eons; how many of them do you believe in?

Designer wrote:No worries, We are all here for such an infinitesimally tiny tiny amount of time....your day will come all too soon. ;)
As will yours my friend. We will simply cease to exist, and our awareness after we die will be the same as before we existed. Which is to say, none at all.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Herb wrote:
You are just another internet troll looking to get your jollies but harassing someone. Well, it isn't gonna be me.

You are now blocked.

As if you aren't watching.

Sarge1400
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Sarge1400 »

Herb wrote:
Sarge1400 wrote:

You are now blocked.
Lol, really?

It's disappointing when adults are unable to engage in civil discourse without someone taking their ball and going home because an opposing viewpoint was presented. Hard to take that type of person seriously.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

You believe in air because someone defined it as such...........science....
You have FAITH in the reasoning they propose....

That same FAITH holds true for those that believe in a Divine Creator
All you have to do is go outside at midnight on a clear sky and gaze upwards at the "Heavens" ..
That's all the proof I need...
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

Sarge1400
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Sarge1400 »

Suzuki Johnny wrote:You believe in air because someone defined it as such...........science....

All you have to do is go outside at midnight on a clear sky and gaze upwards at the "Heavens" ..
Good morning!

Seems to me you're using two different definitions of faith, and pretending they are the same. You could say I have 'faith' that the sun will come up tomorrow, and using a loose definition it's true. BUT, I have volumes of evidence of the sun rising every single day up to this point, whereas you're relying on your feels with your faith.

I would define mine as 'reasonable faith', based on empirical evidence. I would define yours as 'blind faith', based on your feelings, with no empirical evidence.

KAJUN
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: HARLEY THE BIG MOTHER

Post by KAJUN »

Sarge1400 wrote:
Suzuki Johnny wrote:You believe in air because someone defined it as such...........science....

Good morning!

Seems to me you're using two different definitions of faith, and pretending they are the same. You could say I have 'faith' that the sun will come up tomorrow, and using a loose definition it's true. BUT, I have volumes of evidence of the sun rising every single day up to this point, whereas you're relying on your feels with your faith.

I would define mine as 'reasonable faith', based on empirical evidence. I would define yours as 'blind faith', based on your feelings, with no empirical evidence.

So you are indicating to me that now you are a fortune teller or seer......You have no refutable evidence that the sun will rise tomorrow morning
Because there is a possibility that it will NOT happen...
And if you do think the sun is actually going to rise tomorrow morning I've got a bridge for sale overlooking ocean front property in Arizona...
You use the term rising....LOL... look it up... the sun doesn't rise....Your empirical faith may need some adjustment..

My senses are just as acute as yours....and there are not two definitions of faith...not unless you conjure one up out of thin air
The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.

Sarge1400
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Sarge1400 »

KAJUN wrote: So you are indicating to me that now you are a fortune teller or seer......You have no refutable evidence that the sun will rise tomorrow morning
Because there is a possibility that it will NOT happen...
Of course there is an infinitesimally small chance that the sun will not rise tomorrow, but everything we've seen up until now, every bit of evidence available, results in a logical conclusion that that we can anticipate the sun rising tomorrow just as it has every day. This is quite different than the type of faith you use to believe in gods.
KAJUN wrote:And if you do think the sun is actually going to rise tomorrow morning I've got a bridge for sale overlooking ocean front property in Arizona...
You use the term rising....LOL... look it up... the sun doesn't rise....Your empirical faith may need some adjustment..
You are being intentionally obtuse here. 'Sunrise' is a commonly accepted term for what we experience at the dawn of every day. Stop being childish.
KAJUN wrote: My senses are just as acute as yours....and there are not two definitions of faith...not unless you conjure one up out of thin air
Well, you may be correct stating there are not two definitions of faith. According to Merriam-Webster, there are actually THREE:

Definition of faith
plural faiths \ˈfāths, sometimes ˈfāt͟hz\
1 a : allegiance to duty or a person : loyalty

lost faith in the company's president

b (1) : fidelity to one's promises
(2) : sincerity of intentions

acted in good faith

2 a (1) : belief and trust in and loyalty to God
(2) : belief in the traditional doctrines of a religion

b (1) : firm belief in something for which there is no proof

clinging to the faith that her missing son would one day return

(2) : complete trust

3 : something that is believed especially with strong conviction; especially : a system of religious beliefs

the Protestant faith

KAJUN
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by KAJUN »

Of course there is an infinitesimally small chance that the sun will not rise tomorrow, but everything we've seen up until now, every bit of evidence available, results in a logical conclusion that that we can anticipate the sun rising tomorrow just as it has every day. This is quite different than the type of faith you use to believe in gods.

I've got my life's savings that says the sun will not rise tomorrow morning..............
It's an indisputable fact that the sun will NOT rise tomorrow morning

KAJUN
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by KAJUN »

There are also two definitions for ignorance......

Want of knowledge and lack of knowledge are different

ignorance
noun
lack of knowledge, information, or education; the state of being ignorant
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition
© William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins
Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012

Word Origin and History for ignorance
n.
c.1200, from Old French ignorance (12c.), from Latin ignorantia "want of knowledge" (see ignorant).

My point is we can banter back and forth and nothing will be resolved

either by your physical proof of something that you say does not exist

or my beliefs in faith that does exist...

Sarge1400
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Sarge1400 »

KAJUN wrote:Of course there is an infinitesimally small chance that the sun will not rise tomorrow, but everything we've seen up until now, every bit of evidence available, results in a logical conclusion that that we can anticipate the sun rising tomorrow just as it has every day. This is quite different than the type of faith you use to believe in gods.

I've got my life's savings that says the sun will not rise tomorrow morning..............
It's an indisputable fact that the sun will NOT rise tomorrow morning
You are being disingenuous. You know full well that 'sunrise' is the common term for what we experience every dawn. And I will put my life savings against yours that the event we know as sunrise will occur tomorrow morning.

Sarge1400
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Sarge1400 »

KAJUN wrote:There are also two definitions for ignorance......

Want of knowledge and lack of knowledge are different

ignorance
noun
lack of knowledge, information, or education; the state of being ignorant
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition
© William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins
Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012

Word Origin and History for ignorance
n.
c.1200, from Old French ignorance (12c.), from Latin ignorantia "want of knowledge" (see ignorant).

My point is we can banter back and forth and nothing will be resolved

either by your physical proof of something that you say does not exist

or my beliefs in faith that does exist...
I understand what ignorance is. Do you understand that belief is not synonymous with knowledge?

It's just a conversation, I'm not here to try to resolve anything.

KAJUN
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by KAJUN »

Last Word.....

KAJUN
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by KAJUN »

Sarge1400
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Sarge1400 »

LOL!
Thanks for the chuckle Kajun!

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

'Knowledge' is a relative term. [space] Relative to what that one person considers it to be.

Having a limited recognized acceptance of what it constitutes limits that person to accept only that which they considers it to be.

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!