Faith and the general forum

Discuss these subjects at your own risk!
You may find your way to Eden or the garden of Hell!
I will NOT be responsible for where you might end up!

Should faith be kept out of the general forum?

Yes
47%
No
20%
I don't care
20%
N/A
13%

Total votes: 15

ddog6900
Joined a 250cc Club

Faith and the general forum

Post by ddog6900 »

Been suggested before and seconded, so I just wanted to get a bead on everyone's opinion. Not stirring the pot just gauging opinion.

ddog6900
Joined a 250cc Club

Re: Faith and the general forum

Post by ddog6900 »

I'll go first. My wife is a practicing Lutheran. I have no problem with that. We don't discuss it, she doesn't push it on me, it's a hands off topic at my house.

I have no faith or religion to speak of. I have no problem with it in the general, as long as it isn't directed toward me or anyone else that doesn't welcome it.

ddog6900
Joined a 250cc Club

Post by ddog6900 »

Now see, this thread wasn't started because I wanted a page long ramble. Just an opinion. Maybe a short explanation. You give sage advice right after you just told everyone to do the opposite. You know what that's called, being a hypocrite. It was discussed about the religion forum, but never about the general. And some people won't be told when and where to peddle their wares. I just want to get a poll going about how others feel. I didn't direct this thread toward anyone in particular, but if you feel threatened, there's probably a reason. (Which, if you'll read my disclaimer, has nothing to do with me)

ddog6900
Joined a 250cc Club

Post by ddog6900 »

98VS1400 wrote:Too bad, you got a poll answer and an explanation. Don't like it? Sue me. :fu:
An angry man opens his mouth and shuts up his eyes

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Suzi 1400

Post by YoDude »

I am not going to cast a vote on this subject, but I am going to cast out the words I have on the subject.

We have a board called, "Religion". It would seem it should have been labeled, "Faith and Religion", which would probably be more encapsulating on both these related subjects. That is the place for such threads, posts and conversations. It is specific in its nature of what it's called so users know where to post these sorts of things. If you want to talk about such things but want people to notice that fact, in the gen section, I suggest you post a LINK to the thread that you've started in the (what will be renamed, "Faith and Religion" board and in the title make note it is a Religious type thread so it's obvious to everyone.

If users in the general forum see that it's religion in nature, they have the option to go there by clinking on the link you provide to go inspect your thread, rather than have the thread or post itself, reside in the gen section. This method, I have no problem with.

Because we DO have these various forums, it should seem quite obvious the subject matter is welcome, in those areas. It's very simple here folks, why make it harder than it needs to be? The basic rules on this site should be obvious to everyone. Post your thoughts in the proper places, that's what they're there for. Be NICE to others, leave the hate and discontent elsewhere. It's okay to have disagreements and I understand there will be at times, heated arguments and such. That's okay to a point, but only so far.

I'm REALLY trying hard to offer all users the freedom that some other sites don't allow by having these various areas for discussion available. I shouldn't have to have to make it law what people can or should do here. I'm truly resisting the idea of creating a rule set for this board because I expect most people with common sense, can already see and behave by what should be common sense.

If ANYONE has a problem with my philosophy with this site, please send me a PM and we'll discuss it in private. Additionally, I'd like you hear from anyone that has anything at all to say about how the board's being run or how the board is being moderated, I want to know about it and feel free to send that PM.

This is supposed to be a happy place where people can get along together and build some strong relationships and have a great time while doing so.

Yo-
Intelligence is just the right thing to have, to render yourself extinct.

ddog6900
Joined a 250cc Club

Post by ddog6900 »

Well, I see where we are. The faith and religion section is for religion but it's also welcome everywhere else. 98 is saying that if I don't like the thread, you should just move on, yet he feels the need to voice his opinions on a subjects he obviously has a problem with.

There's a few members here, and I'm certain we know who they are, who like to take things out of context. Even taking offense to acronyms that could be interrupted several ways. I make a thread gauging public opinion and look what happens. The ones who feel threatened are the only ones who voted so far.

To address Yo's statement, this should be a place to have lively discussions, learning and growing from and with each other. Yet, it seems as though whenever the controversial subjects get brought up (even in a neutral way) someone seems to make it like it's inhumanely alienating a group of people. Seems as though the Kool - Aid is brewing right now. Who's going to drink it?

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by YoDude »

You are not currently speaking of faith or religion here and that's okay. You are talking about something different. Basically , what's permitted and where it's permitted. Speaking of whether or not such discussions should be permitted in the gen section or not is a discussion all in itself. :thumbup:

Yo-

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by YoDude »

Let me add something.

While I'd prefer people post topics in the areas available, consider it a suggestion, not a mandatory rule. I made these areas available in an effort to try to help keep things a bit more organized, but as I said, it shouldn't be considered law.

You are free to post whatever you like here.

Yo-

DevilsFan
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2018 Honda CB650F

Post by DevilsFan »

How about a "Non-Believer" room?!?!
:lmao: :lmao:
There will be a time where you will no longer be able to use, "But...I didn't know!", as an excuse. And if you're exiled from society, well, you were warned.

DMIntruder
Riding on Learners Permit

Post by DMIntruder »

Ok, I voted N/A. Here is my process when I log on to this forum. Login and go to view recent posts. When I see, as I have in the last few days, that the recent posts are about religion, faith, adultery, bible software, I log out and move on. Initially I thought this forum was a great idea, but I am having seconds thoughts about whether or not I am going to frequent here any longer. Hell I think IA has a bit better mix of topics than this one and for the time it has much more in the tech section, which is the primary reason I joined to begin with.

There are 2 topics I avoid speaking to people at work about, religion and politics. I have my reasons for this and I don't owe anyone an expanation why. I choose not to speak to people face to face about these topics and I sure as hell am not going to engage in those topics in a forum where 'courage behind a keyboard' becomes a factor.

If this is the general direction this forum is heading, I may be sending a PM to whomever and asking to have my profile deleted. I don't need that stuff, and I sure don't want to read about it in my free time when I am trying to de-stress from life.

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by YoDude »

When people start talking about leaving the board, to me THAT'S A SERIOUS PROBLEM.

Yo-

ddog6900
Joined a 250cc Club

Post by ddog6900 »

I started this thread to get just that kind of opinion. To me, that's what the subforums are for. If I want to talk about a certain subject , there's a place for it. If you don't care to talk religion, I come to the general, because unlike IA, there's a place for it. If I want to rant about one thing or another, I created a blog for that.

What the general needs used for? Everything that doesn't otherwise have a place. I don't swim in your fountain, don't pee in our pool.

ddog6900
Joined a 250cc Club

Post by ddog6900 »

Ok, I think you're misinterpreting my purpose. I look at the everyday chit chat as the general forum. And that's what I meant. I don't go into the religion subforum. When I did, didn't like what I saw, never went back.

What I'm talking about is religious mentions in everyday chit chat threads. I've seen a few religious comments made, don't particularly care to read them.

BTW DM, the adultery thread isn't religious in nature. Perhaps I should have named it infidelity.

As far as the tech section, already spoke my piece in dm1400's thread.

Larry TN
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: 1996 VS1400

Post by Larry TN »

ddog6900 wrote:
BTW DM, the adultery thread isn't religious in nature. Perhaps I should have named it infidelity.
I beg to differ, sire, quite a few religious people have practiced adultery, as the media is quick to point out at the first available opportunity. Infidelity is adultery with more syllables. If I post something in the wrong place, again, you can always move it to wherever you please. I would however, recommend you give FAITH its own thread, with religion way down in the sub forum dungeon. Personally, I wish you would remove religion
"Give the people you have offended time to apologize." -Rev Samuel Porter Jones (in 1906)

Jolsen
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: ZG-XII and VS-XIV
Moniker: Postmaster

Post by Jolsen »

Separation between church and chit chat.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
VS1400 Wiring Diagram INFOWARS
Its not my job to prove myself every time I state facts. Its YOUR job to look it up and find out what I say is true.

ddog6900
Joined a 250cc Club

Post by ddog6900 »

Jolsen wrote:Separation between church and chit chat.

Bingo. That's exactly what I was going for. Just wanted to gauge others opinion. I stay out of the faith and religion. It's that simple, to keep the religion and politics out of the chit chat. You don't see me spouting my obviously unpopular liberal thinking in the chit chat.

BTW Larry, adultery as well as infidelity are just words. No one holds a patent on them, religious or otherwise. Broad vocabulary is just one of many things I boast on a daily basis. To all those opposed, I direct you below to my disclaimer.

Jolsen
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: ZG-XII and VS-XIV
Moniker: Postmaster

Post by Jolsen »

Old school liberal or new so called liberal that is really an athoritairon power freak commie?

VS1400 Wiring Diagram INFOWARS
Its not my job to prove myself every time I state facts. Its YOUR job to look it up and find out what I say is true.

Dude
Site Admin
My Bike: Susuki VS1400

Post by Dude »

Ah hem...You CAN talk religion here, but it's just preferred you guys took it to the proper forum, is all.

-Dude

tc1400
Got My M1 License!

Post by tc1400 »

Dude wrote:Ah hem...You CAN talk religion here, but it's just preferred you guys took it to the proper forum, is all.

-Dude
Exactly.

DevilsFan
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2018 Honda CB650F

Post by DevilsFan »

98VS1400 wrote:Just as a small aside that everyone seems to have overlooked...

Marriage, adultery and infidelity are all terms related to faith, specifically the Bible.

But, hey, we can't talk religion here, so forget I said anything.

But marriage is also a government issue...so now what???
There will be a time where you will no longer be able to use, "But...I didn't know!", as an excuse. And if you're exiled from society, well, you were warned.