Daily Devotion 1 2 2015

Discuss these subjects at your own risk!
You may find your way to Eden or the garden of Hell!
I will NOT be responsible for where you might end up!
Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Re: Daily Devotion 1 2 2015

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Prayer for the Guidance During the Day
Oh God, you know my weakness and failings, and that without your help I can accomplish nothing for the good of souls, my own and others'. Grant me, therefore, the help of your grace, according to my particular needs this day. Enable me to see the tasks you will set before me in the daily routine of my life, and let me set my hand to these tasks with the vigor and joy of one with whom you abide. And if I should face trials, suffering or failure, I pray that your hand will lift me up, and I may be refreshed. In the name of Christ, I pray,
Amen.
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Prayer for the Morning
I bless you for the day you have made, Mighty Lord God, and pray that I may spend this day rejoicing in your creation. I pray for your Holy Spirit to fill me with the joy of my salvation, so that your light may shine through me into the world, that your honor and glory may be known to all people.
Remind me of your blessings, I pray, with every tribulation I may face, so that I may act with energy, forgiveness and love, ever mindful of the grace You have shown to me. Through Christ I pray,
Amen.
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

For Each of Us in Our Work
Almighty God, heavenly Father, who makes it possible for me to work and who gives every creature its food, declaring your glory and showing your handiwork in the heavens and in the earth; Deliver me, I pray, in my work, from coveting material goods, from falling into the temptation of serving mammon and putting money in the forefront of my life. Help me to perform the work which you have put at my hand, in truth, in beauty, and in righteousness, with singleness of heart as your servant, and to the benefit of my fellow men as well as myself; for the sake of your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord, who lived and died only to serve us.
Amen.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

“You reap what you sow!” Maybe you have heard this saying before. Parents, teachers, and others use it a lot. It comes from this passage written by the apostle Paul: “A man reaps what he sows”—and Paul drew it from other ancient wisdom (see Proverbs 22:8; Hosea 10:12-13). Life’s circumstances often prove the warning true.

Our great hope, Paul writes in Colossians, is “Christ in you, the hope of glory.” Remember, Jesus was called Immanuel (“God with us”—see Isaiah 7:14; Matthew 1:23). And eventually the Holy Spirit came to live in the hearts of all believers (Acts 2). This means God is recreating his image in us.

This calls for our cooperation. As the farmer must sow seeds, pull weeds, and fertilize and water his plantings to reap a harvest, so we must cooperate with the Spirit to grow the good fruit of Christlike living. Sowing to please the Spirit means our work is done out of love for God and our neighbors (Mark 12:30-31), love for one another (John 13:34-35), and even love for our enemies (Luke 6:35).

The Holy Spirit’s guarding, guiding, inspiring, and working within us bears fruit that pleases God. We just need to learn how to sow and tend his crops. Spiritual discipline practiced every day will grow a great harvest of good in us that will please our Lord. Are you ready to sow with God?

Prayer:

Lord God, how can we ever please you? By the power of Christ and your Spirit, help us tend to the good we’re called to do. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

Norman F. Brown

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

“They crucified him”! These few words describe one of the most awesome events in history: the crucifixion of the Son of God. According to historians, crucifixion was one of the most brutal, degrading, and humiliating ways to be put to death. It was Rome’s favorite method, intended for the worst criminals.

The sinless Son of God was crucified between two criminals. It’s far beyond our human comprehension to understand how God the Father allowed his Son to be crucified, for death on a cross was cursed by God himself (Deuteronomy 21:23). But this was God’s way of saying to each of us, “The curse you deserve is placed on my Son.”

Jesus was crucified at “the place called the Skull,” also known as Calvary (from Latin), or Golgotha (Aramaic), a place of many executions, to let us know that his cross stood in the midst of human suffering and misery. Through the cross of Christ, God himself entered into our broken lives in this world.

For those who wonder whether God cares about our suffering, here is God’s answer. Look at the cross and reflect on the words “they crucified him there.” Be assured that God cares more than we will ever know. He cared enough to let his Son be crucified, taking our place.

How will you respond to this love today?

Prayer:

Lord Jesus, your “love so amazing, so divine, demands my soul, my life, my all.” Amen.

Arthur J. Schoonveld

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Prayer for the Morning
Holy Father, who watches over your children by night and by day; blessed Jesus, my food and my strength; Holy Spirit, the light and guide of my soul; I thank you for this new day and pray that you will watch over me. May my thoughts, my words and actions reflect the Spirit that dwells within me. And may every minute of my life celebrate the gift of grace, earned by the blood of Christ, in whose name I pray.
Amen.

Community of Prayer
I pray to you, dearest Jesus, for all the graces I need to know you, to love you and serve you faithfully unto death, and to save my soul. Give me a tender and fervent devotion to your sacred passion by which I was redeemed, venerating you each day in prayer, and teach me how to unite sorrows and sufferings of my life with your own.
Amen.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

On the first Easter Sunday morning, two women were in for the surprise of their lives. Instead of finding a closed tomb, they found an open grave, and an angel greeting them with the words “Do not be afraid, for I know that you are looking for Jesus, who was crucified. He is not here; he has risen, just as he said.” For them and for every follower of the Lord Jesus, life would never be the same. The resurrection of Jesus from the dead changed the course of history.

The resurrection is God’s way of announcing that our life does not have to be a one-way journey to the cemetery. God is saying we don’t have to be stuck in our past. The risen Savior has hit the delete button on our sins. We don’t have to wonder who’s in charge, because this Savior has been given all authority in heaven and on earth. And we don’t have to wonder what’s ahead, because nothing “will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord” (Romans 8:39).

So let’s celebrate today! If your church sings this song, sing it out: “Christ the Lord is risen today! Alleluia!” And if you are not able to attend church, take some time to praise God that Jesus is alive. With Christians around the world we can say, “Christ is risen! He is risen indeed!”

Prayer:

Risen Savior, on this day we worship you and thank you for your power over death. Help us to experience in our lives your resurrection power. Amen.

Arthur J. Schoonveld

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Prayer for God‘s Protection
Heavenly Father, I live in your shelter. You are my refuge and my fortress. You are my God, in whom I trust. Deliver me and all those who love You from the dangers of the world, both the physical dangers that can crush our bodies and the deadly pestilence that can lay waste to our souls. Cover us with your mighty wings and protect us with your steadfast shield, and we will not fear the terror of the night or the perils of the day.
The world in its darkness curses you, the only truth, the only love, the only salvation; it seeks to destroy us by force, by sarcasm, by seduction, by compromise. But if a thousand fall to the lies of the world, if ten thousand should fall away, it will not affect me. For I have made you my dwelling place, O God. You have sent your angels to guard the faithful. On their hands, they bear us up, that no stone shall strike our foot, and no viper strike our heel.
Deliver me, O Lord, for I hold fast to you even in my fear. No temptation or power of earth can separate me from your love. You answer me when I call to you; you protect me because I call on your name. You have satisfied me with long life and salvation. All praise to the God of Jacob, all praise to Jesus Christ.
Amen.
Prayer of St. Jerome
Lord, thou hast given us thy Word for a light to shine upon our path; grant us so to meditate on that Word, and to follow its teaching, that we may find in it the light that shines more and more until the perfect day; through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Amen.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Prayer for the Morning
Heavenly Father, I do not fear this day, for you are with me wherever I might go, your light to shine ahead, your footsteps to lead the way. I do not fear this day, for your word will be my guide. Your strength will sustain me and your love revive me, this day and all days. I do not fear this day, for you are with me. In the name of Christ, I call upon you.
Amen.

For Those Who Suffer from Prejudice
Holy God, teach me to treat every person with the pure love of Christ. Do not let me hate any person, but to forgive them when they sin, and to disregard every external attribute that prejudices one person against another. For we are all your children, equally loved, although we be sinners all.
And bless those who hate and those who are hated, especially from prejudices against attributes of birth, or appearance, or ability, or any other worldly feature that divides us from one another. Comfort and bless those who suffer such discrimination and do not let them fall into Satan's trap, but give them always a spirit of sincere and pure forgiveness, as Christ forgave those who tortured and murdered Him.
And reform those who say words or commit acts that hurt others; if it be your will, let them see their sin and grow to hate it. Call them to your Spirit and let them be reborn in love and humility through the power of Christ, in whose name I pray,
Amen.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Prayer for the Morning
The night has passed, the sun shines its light upon us, and the day lies open before me. As I rejoice in the gift of this new day, so may the light of your presence fill me with love for you and my fellow man, holy God, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Abide with me, I pray, now and forever.
Amen.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Prayer for Help with the Burdens of Life
Grant me, I pray, your divine helping grace; endow me with patience and strength to endure my tribulations with complete submission to your will. You know my misery and suffering and to you, my only hope and refuge, I flee for relief and comfort; trusting your infinite love and compassion, that in due time, when you know it is for the best, you will deliver me from my troubles, and turn my distress into comfort, and I will rejoice in your mercy, and exalt and praise your Holy Name, O Father, Son, and Holy Spirit,
Amen.
Benediction
The blessing of the Lord rest and remain upon all his people, in every land, of every tongue; the Lord meet in mercy all that seek him; the Lord comfort all who suffer and mourn; the Lord hasten his coming, and give us, his people, the blessing of peace.
Amen.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Prayer for the Day Ahead
Who can tell what a day might bring? Therefore, gracious God, cause me to live every day as if it were to be my last, for I cannot know that it is not. Help me to live this day as I shall wish I had done when I come to die.
Amen.

Prayer to Love Others
Almighty God, Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom you have taught us that love is the greatest good; defend me this day against all the instincts that tempt me away from love of my fellow man. Let me put aside every sort of prejudice and bias against other people who are different from me: those who have a different gender, or skin color, or accent, or who have different ideas about politics or how to drive a car or any of the thousand other differences that Satan uses to drive a wedge between me and all the other people of earth.
Let me accept others for who they are. Let me know that they are your creatures, and that you love them just as you love me. Let me not be stingy with my affection or my support of others out of jealousy, or greeds; but look upon the work of others, and their well-being, as I look upon my own.
I am weak, Lord, and I often stumble and let myself lapse into irritation or anger at others; but through your Holy Spirit, all things are possible; and I ask that today you be with me at every moment, and fill me with the capacity for love that only your Spirit can bring to me. In the name of my Lord Christ I ask this,
Amen.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

"For Each New Morning"
For each new morning with its light,
For rest and shelter of the night,
For health and food,
For love and friends,
For everything Thy goodness sends.
I thank thee.
Amen.
Prayer for Freedom from Fear
O Lord, I beseech you to deliver me, and all of your children, from the fear of the unknown future; from fear of failure; from fear of poverty; from fear of bereavement; from fear of loneliness; from fear of sickness and pain; from fear of age; from fear of death. Help us, O Father, by your grace to love and fear only you, and fill our hearts with cheerful courage and loving trust in you; through our Lord and Master Jesus Christ.
Amen.
Benediction
I pray that I may be blessed every step of my path this day by the great God of light. May your sun shine upon me; as the moon moves the tide, may your Spirit move my emotions with every grace and magic; may my heart sing with the voice of your angels and my hearth be warm; and may this and every blessed day You have given me be filled with joy.
Amen

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Warning notices seem to be everywhere. At the bottom of the TV screen we’re warned not to drive our car like the one being advertised—as if we could or would. As I read a warning not to use a toy tool to do real work, our son, a lawyer, mutters, “Lawyers!”

But there is a serious warning not found on the packaging of the Bible. Deep inside Scripture we read, “Sharper than any double-edged sword.” We might rephrase this to say, “Warning: Sharp Edges!”

Jesus grabbed my “college-student” heart by surprise at a youth meeting and in a moment gave me faith in him. I’d felt no need to meet him and didn’t expect to. But the focus of my life suddenly shifted from myself to the Savior and King (Colossians 3:1-3). Life changed. New friends got me into Scripture, where I learned the joy of loving God above all and others as myself (Matthew 22:37-40).

Eventually I read the warning in the book of Hebrews. God’s Word cuts deeply. Reading, reflecting, studying, and meditating on Scripture exposes sin, especially to the sinner. Scripture can cut like a surgeon with a scalpel or like a warrior with a two-edged sword. The Spirit seeks to cut out sin and recreate God’s image in the hearts of believers.

Will we yield to the Great Physician’s scalpel and accept our Savior’s victory over sin?

Prayer:

Thank you, God, for the gift of Scripture. Give us the courage to study your Word. In Jesus, Amen.

Norman F. Brown

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Prayer to Dedicate Oneself to Christ This Day
Almighty God, as I cross the threshold of this day, I commit myself Your care. Mold me in your image. In everything I say and do, let my mind be on the eternal goodness of heaven rather than the vanities of earth, meaningless pride, or the anger and envy that tear apart my precious soul.
I dedicate myself to your holiness Christ, and pray that you may be with me, to check my tongue before it can speak evil and to stop my hand when it seeks to sin. I come to you as a child. I will look to you for guidance and wisdom. Let me know the joyful feeling of having done something that pleased you; let me never feel the pain of knowing I have disappointed you. And let me live without fear, without confusion, always steady in the certainty of your forgiveness and ultimate victory, I pray,
Amen.
Prayer of Salvation
Most blessed Christ, I thank you that you have answered me and have become my salvation. No matter how weak or lowly I may feel, I will always remember your words: that those whom the earth despises — the stones that the builders rejected — have become the cornerstone of your church. Let me be strong in faith and strong in your Spirit; for only by You, Lord Christ, may the gates of righteousness be opened to a sinner. I pray that I may be part of the foundation of your church on earth, and that by your grace, the gates of righteousness may be opened to me and to all who confess your holy name.
Amen.
Benediction
Oh Lord Jesus Christ, who said to your apostles, “Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you”; I pray that I and your whole church, the body of all faithful people, will know your peace, and live in harmony and unity, one with another, in accordance with your wishes. This I pray to you, who lives and reigns forever.
Amen

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Tertullian, a church leader in the second century, noted that unbelievers would say, after observing the lives of Christians, “See how they love each other.” As we read in the book of Acts, Christians in the early church expressed their love for Christ by making sure “there were no needy persons among them” (Acts 4:34).

These believers witnessed through sharing. Their generosity and compassion toward the needy pointed to the generosity and compassion of their Lord, who, “though he was rich,” became poor for our sake, so that we “through his poverty might become rich” (2 Corinthians 8:9). They understood what the apostle James wrote: “Faith without deeds is useless” (James 2:20).

Some Christians are reluctant witnesses because they think they don’t know what to say. Regardless of how we feel about witnessing, or whether we feel inadequate, all of us can witness through sharing and by showing Christ’s love. My mother never had much opportunity to witness to unbelievers, but she witnessed by sharing from the little we had with a family that had even less.

You and I who serve the risen Savior can feed the hungry and reach out to the needy. Ask yourself today, How can I share? How can I be a living witness to the grace of Christ? Actions speak louder than words!

Prayer:

Lord, give us the grace to follow your example; help us to be your witnesses by sharing your love with others. Amen.

Arthur J. Schoonveld

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Morning Thanks and Praise
I thank You for the temporal blessings of this world — the refreshing air, the light of the sun, the food that renews strength, the raiment that clothes, the dwelling that shelters, the sleep that gives rest, the starry canopy of night, the summer breeze, the flowers' sweetness, the music of flowing streams, the happy endearments of family, kindred, and friends. Things animate, things inanimate, minister to my comfort. My cup runs over.
Do not allow me to be insensible to these daily mercies. Your hand bestows blessings; Your power averts evil. I bring my tribute of thanks for spiritual graces, the full warmth of faith, the cheering presence of our Spirit, the strength of Your restraining will, Your spiking of hell's artillery. Blessed be my sovereign Lord!
Amen.
Prayer for Unity Among Christians
O God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, our only Savior, the Prince of Peace; Give us grace to take to heart the great dangers we are in by our unhappy divisions. Take away all hatred and prejudice, and whatever else may hinder us from godly union and concord: that as there is but one Body and one Spirit, and one hope of our calling, one Lord, one Faith, one Baptism, one God and Father of us all, so we may be all of one heart and of one soul, united in one holy bond of truth and peace, of faith and charity, and may with one mind and one mouth glorify you; through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Amen.
Dedication
God of love, Father of all, the darkness that covered the earth has given way to the bright dawn of your Word made flesh. Make me and all who confess your holy name people of this light. Make me faithful to your Word that I may bring your life to the waiting world. Grant this through Christ our Lord.
Amen

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

The organist spoke of his passion for his church’s grand pipe organ: “You not only hear the music; you feel it. It resonates with your heart.” Psalm 51, written by Israel’s King David, resonates in penitent hearts.

Confession as a spiritual discipline must be mastered. It’s the foundation of our relationship with God. Confession requires an honest self-awareness without which we cannot grow spiritually. Otherwise we’re just fooling ourselves, trying to keep secrets from God by ignoring our sins within. Psalm 51 was David’s confession after the prophet Nathan pointed out the king’s sins of adultery and murder (see 2 Samuel 11-12). David knew he had to confess.

The pronouns “me,” “my,” and “I” emphasize taking personal responsibility, not slipping by with a general “prayer of confession.” This is not groveling in self-pity or trying to get by with denial. We honestly own our sins because God graciously forgives.

Disciplined confession reminds us that all sin is against God. We apologize to people we offend, but we confess to God that we’ve offended his image in others. Then God cleanses us from the inside out and restores us to the joy of salvation. Do you need to weep Psalm 51 like David did?

Prayer:

“Have mercy on me, O God, according to your unfailing love; according to your great compassion blot out my transgressions. Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin.” Amen.

Norman F. Brown

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Prayer for the Morning
Blessed are you, O Lord my God, King of the universe, who removes sleep from my eyes, that I may see the returning light of the your day. I thank you for all that you have done while I was asleep, watching over me and all your children while we slept unaware, and I pray that my thoughts and acts this day may show forth my love and thanks for you and all you have done for me.
Help me through your Holy Spirit, that I may remember what you have taught me in the Bible and it may show forth in my every deed. Let me not wander into the hands of sin, nor into the hands of pride or perversity, nor into the hands of temptation, nor into the hands of shame, but steer my inclinations towards goodness and charity this morning and all the day. In the name of Christ I pray.
Amen.
Prayer of Saint Francis of Assisi
Lord, make me an instrument of your peace.

Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
and where there is sadness, joy.

O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console;
to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love.

For it is in giving that we receive;
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.
Amen.
Benediction
May the God of hope fill me and all of us with the joy and peace that comes from believing, so that we may abound in hope, by the power of the Holy Spirit.
Amen

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

For Salvation
O Lord God of Israel, who has come to all the nations through your Son, Christ Jesus, there is no god like you in heaven or earth, for you are loving and kind and you keep your promises to your people if they only have faith and seek to follow your commandments. You have fulfilled your promise to our fathers Abraham and David, who were your servants, through the mightiest and humblest of all men ever to live, the Word made flesh; and now, O Lord our God, fulfill your promise to all who confess the name of Jesus Christ, I pray, that we may live in faith of Him, loving you and following your ways as He did, that we might be sanctified as your children and heirs.
Amen.
To Serve Christ
Dearest Lord, teach me to be generous;
Teach me to serve you as you deserve;
To give and not to count the cost,
To fight and not heed the wounds,
To toil and not seek for rest,
To labor and not to seek reward,
Save that of knowing that I do your will.
Amen.
Benediction
Lord, support me all the day long of this troublous life, until the shadows lengthen and the evening comes, and the busy world is hushed, and the fever of life is over and my work is done. Then of Thy mercy, grant me a safe lodging, and a holy rest and a peace at last through Jesus Christ, our Lord.
Amen