99 Dyna Wide Glide Oil Pan?

STRICTLY Motorcycle Talk allowed here. ALL others get deleted!!!!
Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder VS800

99 Dyna Wide Glide Oil Pan?

Post by Acton67 »

Was loading my uncle in laws dyna onto a uhaul trailer today. Usually I assist and we push it up but I'm recovering from a broken leg so he had to drive it on. We've loaded this bike onto a trailer at least a dozen times by this point but for some reason the bike bottomed out as it went up the ramp and appeared to crack what I think is the oil pan. I know this is an Intruder forum but if anyone can confirm this is indeed the oil pan I'd appreciate it.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Re: 99 Dyna Wide Glide Oil Pan?

Post by sgtcall »

You may be able to have that welded, I've see it done on cars but never a bike. You would still need to pull it and clean it out first but it may save some money.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

It appears to be the oil pan on the gearbox:

That's a pic from eBay.

At the very least it appears to be remove-able but I have no idea whether you can do this with the box / engine still in the frame or not.

It looks like alloy so you should be able to get it welded up - however you would have to remove it first.

Might be easier to just get a new pan.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

Here is another pic:

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

hillsy v2 wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:22 pm

I looked up a new pan and they run about $600-650.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

sgtcall wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:44 pm
hillsy v2 wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:22 pm

I looked up a new pan and they run about $600-650.
Which seems to be around the same price for a 2nd hand gearbox.

There's always JB Weld........ :dunno:

Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by Acton67 »

I called a shop in my area, they said the oil pan is removable without pulling the engine. Just wasn't sure if that was the oil pan I was looking at. I'll have to keep my eyes on ebay for a cheap used one. Unfortunately harley parts are way more expensive then intruder parts.

Also saw this video on how to replace the oil pan on a wide glide on YouTube. Guy didn't have to remove the motor. I am worried about seized bolts though, apparently their allen key bolts.

Thanks for the help guys. Gonna start working on my 1400 soon. Gonna continue to ride, but way more sparingly and never alone. Gonna buy a trailer to bring it up to the Adirondacks to ride around with a buddy up there where his grandparents live.

Where did you guys see that listing on ebay and where did you look up new parts? Can you guys send me links? Didn't see that listing on ebay.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

I just searched Google for "99 DYNA WIDE GLIDE OIL PAN" and I got a bunch of eBay hits.

But if it was me I'd try JB Weld - it's just an oil pan leak which is pretty much perfect for that stuff.

Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by Acton67 »

Alright. Pretty easy to see if it worked or not too. I'll give it a shot.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

Hardest thing will be making sure there's no oil in the crack so the JB can stick to the case. Worse case scenario is removing the sump and applying JB inside and out. Will cost you a gasket and a bit of time but cheaper than any other option.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

I would take it to a welding shop because of the way it is cracked, the age of it and the ease of removing the pan.

I have repaired the oil pan on my Equinox and it still is good after over 3 years but trying to get it welded would have required pulling the engine to get it off and it was broke down 30 miles back in the mountains.

I walked 10 miles to where I was able to call my daughter for a ride. Went home and got oil, jb quick weld, files, carb cleaner and sand paper. It was a 3 point puncture and after draining the oil I was able to clean it well with the files, sandpaper and carb cleaner. I let it set up for 2 hours, filled it with oil and drove it home. That was over 3 years and 100,000 miles ago and I changed the oil Saturday and it doesn't even seep.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

Yep - JB is pretty durable stuff.