Springer front end...??

STRICTLY Motorcycle Talk allowed here. ALL others get deleted!!!!
Kingkoa1
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: Suzuki intruder vs800

Springer front end...??

Post by Kingkoa1 »

Hey guys I was wondering if ammunition here has put Springer forks on your bike? Just wondering if it is attainable for the intruders vs models and just think it would look super bad ass!! If you have converted one to a springer fork please post a picture!
“If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle!!”

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Re: Springer front end...??

Post by sgtcall »

Kingkoa1 wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:44 pm
Hey guys I was wondering if ammunition here has put Springer forks on your bike? Just wondering if it is attainable for the intruders vs models and just think it would look super bad ass!! If you have converted one to a springer fork please post a picture!
It can be done. Look Here
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14290&p=224057&hil ... er#p224057
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by FallenAngel »

Yes you can put a springier frnt end on an Intruder
getting the neck bearings correct would be the main hurtle
If your into Springier's then check out Sugar Bear
https://sugarbearchoppers.com/index.htm
His shop built both of the bikes in the movie" Easy Rider" Most of his work is a bit more radical
I myself prefer a more conservative ride
That being said I do believe the Intruder could use a bit more length

Kingkoa1
Studying MC Handbook

Post by Kingkoa1 »

Do you think one of the harley spingers would be compatible? And when you say I just need to get the neck bearings right...do I need to replace them for different ones?

Springer Fla
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: VS 1400 and C50

Post by Springer Fla »

Dude, it's great that you like springers or choppers but IMO you're barking up the wrong tree > to put one on an Intruder. For one thing many choppers tend to Po-Go at a certain speed. My VS 750 handled good but it had a slight bounce between 60-65mph. As did my other bikes. Then they smooth out after hitting power band. Heavier springs may have helped. LOL finding some.

I was about to put a springer on my VS 1400 today but got held up trying to unstick the top nuts (14mm allen screw) in the fork tube. I need to change the seals. (They're still stuck). The point is the 800 has a 33 degree rake and the 1400 is 36. I get a violent shimmy at 40 mph, on the 1400. This particular springer is "old school" with heavier springs. It may work or it my not.

It took me 6 months to prototype the springers for the 750/800. + a lathe, mill, welder and various shop tools. No matter what... you will need to make a Top clamp, Bottom clamp, a neck stem with a Timken bearing and probably an axle, longer wires, cables, etc. If you don't have machinist and welding skills then I'd forget it. The lowest retail on my springers was $1,250 and that is unchromed.

I suggest a lot of study, + going here... https://www.chopperbuildershandbook.com/index.html
Then if you really want a chopper, buy one already made and it will probably be a Harley.
Going darker is the liability factor. If you hit a Mercedes (or other) with a custom bike; instead of a stock bike, then the lawyers will have a field day with you. That is why I don't sell them. Good luck.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

Springer Fla wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 12:26 pm
.....For one thing many choppers tend to Po-Go at a certain speed. My VS 750 handled good but it had a slight bounce between 60-65mph. As did my other bikes. Then they smooth out after hitting power band. Heavier springs may have helped. LOL finding some.......... I get a violent shimmy at 40 mph, on the 1400. This particular springer is "old school" with heavier springs. It may work or it my not.
Many Thanks for all this GREAT info!

If I may ask,.....do either one of your Springers that exhibited these effects have a hydraulic shock absorber? (like you see on the Harley Shoulder Springer)

Also,.....did either one of these Bikes have Ride On Tire Sealant in the Front Tire?

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by FallenAngel »

Kingkoa1 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:15 am
Do you think one of the harley spingers would be compatible? And when you say I just need to get the neck bearings right...do I need to replace them for different ones?
As far as I kn ow Most springers are built for Harley s
The deference would be in the inside the outside diameters of the bearings and the center shaft that secures the triple tree to the frame Also the length of the shaft .
Then its just a matter of securing your front brake caliper and aliening the front disk

If this is something your going to attempt I would suggest you keep as close to the stock rack as you can for correct handling of the bike

Hopefully you will be able to get some help from Springer Fla the link he posted is a useful reference to building a chopper

Springer Fla
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Springer Fla »

To answer Designer. No - on the hydraulic shock absorber. I did consider that and like stock tubes, the absorber probably makes a big difference, otherwise HD wouldn't run them. I never cared for the looks of stock HD springers. I used to deal with Paughco and their custom parts are good. That is where I get my chromed springs - but they are limited. Also no on tire sealant.
Springers are pretty but who wants to wax in between them? I Gray Prime new Springs. I'll take a new bike and paint the spokes, hubs, hard to reach places, including the side cover indents, etc. Then I'll wipe off the over spray with (fine) steel wool and/or chrome polish. You can either show or you can go. I try to do both. When I sell a bike, the chrome lasted - by far - better than most.

Fallen Angel is correct about the HD Triple Tree stem length fitting the Intruder neck. The problem is... you are trying to fit an American shaft to a metric neck. It is a tapered bearing. (The stock cage is plastic. I upgrade to Timken). Bearings are always measured in mm but I'd take your Thousands measurement along also.  How would you fit your metric Intruder wheel to a HD front end? The axles are different sizes + spacers, brakes, etc. Go slow and watch out for that Rabbit Hole.

Most important is: Learn about Rake and Trail.
While my S50 handled excellent with the springer, the S83 has a violent shimmy at 40mph with the same springer setup. It is either needing heavier bars (flexing) for the heavier bike, too much power, rockers, springs, other unknowns and that is using a stock neck at 36 degrees. I'm not an engineer. It is all trial and error.

Today, I abandoned putting the old school springer on the S83. R&R the headlight and its rewiring + making a bracket for it were two things; Then, I'd have to disconnect the clutch and brake hoses & pull them thru the triple tree. The deal breaker is having to bleed the clutch. Brakes are easy. The clutch could be a week long PITA. This 1400 is finished work, except for changing the fork seals. so I'm taking the easy way out. I've got other bikes to get to. It is a 1999 and it has been sitting. The acetylene torch did no good. I'm currently trying to dissolve the treads with hydrochloric acid during lunch. (micro-thousands).

I could write more but I have to go. Check this out > Only sold in Japan (as far as I know) was a Honda Steed. It is factory mfg-ed with a Springer. Maybe KingKoa1 would be interested in one of those - small bikes.

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by FallenAngel »

I have always liked the look of a chrome springer front end
I picked one op for my 95 Intruder
To get around the triple tree and neck bearing problem I was going to have a new center bolt fabricated to fit the neck of the Intruder then just use the Harley wheel and brake parts
I may put it on my 99 wide glide instead

Kingkoa1
Studying MC Handbook

Post by Kingkoa1 »

Oh sweet you got pictures of it?

Springer Fla
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Springer Fla »

I have always liked the look of a chrome springer front end
I picked one op for my 95 Intruder
To get around the triple tree and neck bearing problem I was going to have a new center bolt fabricated to fit the neck of the Intruder then just use the Harley wheel and brake parts
I may put it on my 99 wide glide instead

How do you copy your post to into a reply?
95 Intruder > which one? A S50 or S83?
Center Bolt > I guess you are using the HD Top & Bottom Clamps with a removable bolt. That could be done, on a lathe and threading it for the Top Nut. The box for the lower Timken bearing is out in the garage & it's raining. Let me know if you'd like the part number. (I know nada on HD, except that they use 3/4" or 1" axles and Intruders run .689 or something like 9/16", or what ever it is in mm).

Continuing this thread... custom parts are unique. I use alot of oil or Never Seize on threaded parts. One cross threaded move and your expensive front front end would have to be repaired by a welder / machinist and that is if a complete front end would fit into a lathe or mill. Be very careful. I have scrap where tap or die threading has gone wrong. At least most stock parts can be replaced.

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by FallenAngel »

Kingkoa1 wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:15 pm
Oh sweet you got pictures of it?
Negative
I still have the front end in a box I dont think I even opened it
I just picked up to many projects and then I had to move ans most everything went into storage
I just posted my solution to the head bearing problem
I hadnt worked out the rake and trail which is very important for the bike to track and ride well

Springer Fla
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Springer Fla »

KingKoa1 > You just posted to FA while I was typing to post. I'm not up to posting photos here. (I'm not a computer guy & other reasons, like time).
I like your 14" handlebars. Are they HD or other? Where can I buy a set?
I'm sorry that I'm not much help for you. It has been 20 years since I built the springers and I've forgotten alot.
You've got a nice bike. The way the world is going... I'd save the springer money and enjoy what you've got.
Welcome to the board. I'm here but not as much as you.

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by FallenAngel »

Springer Fla wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:56 pm

95 Intruder > which one? A S50 or S83?
Center Bolt > I guess you are using the HD Top & Bottom Clamps with a removable bolt. That could be done, on a lathe and threading it for the Top Nut. The box for the lower Timken bearing is out in the garage & it's raining. Let me know if you'd like the part number. (I know nada on HD, except that they use 3/4" or 1" axles and Intruders run .689 or something like 9/16", or what ever it is in mm).
Pressed in
I would have had to press it out Have the bolt made then pressed in

I never did get that far with the 95 sence then I picked up a cleaner customized 87 Intruder Then because I had room I picked up a black 99 Harley Wide glide wit an Evo that Im still think about putting it on

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by FallenAngel »

Springer Fla wrote:

Continuing this thread... custom parts are unique. I use alot of oil or Never Seize on threaded parts. One cross threaded move and your expensive front front end would have to be repaired by a welder / machinist and that is if a complete front end would fit into a lathe or mill. Be very careful. I have scrap where tap or die threading has gone wrong. At least most stock parts can be replaced.
Also Custom parts and modifications have a very unique set of problems and hurtles
The up side is you can have a one of a kind

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by FallenAngel »

Springer Fla wrote:

Select
Reply with quote option in the upper left corner

"

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

Springer Fla wrote:

This one
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by FallenAngel »

sgtcall wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:33 pm
Springer Fla wrote:

This one
Thank you
I sent springer a PM
Also We should explain when a member is quoted it sends a notification to the quotie

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

Springer Fla wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 12:52 pm
To answer Designer. No - on the hydraulic shock absorber. I did consider that and like stock tubes, the absorber probably makes a big difference, otherwise HD wouldn't run them. I never cared for the looks of stock HD springers. I used to deal with Paughco and their custom parts are good. That is where I get my chromed springs - but they are limited. Also no on tire sealant.
I was working on a Custom-fabricated spring for my Springtail Chopper that had a pair of shocks hidden inside the Springs. :space; with the rear Springs open and seen, it made sense to have the same up front also.
A big part of my design was minimizing the Brake Caliper. :space: Every Springer ForkI had seen had a Gawd-Awful Brake Caliper that looks like a Add-on/After-Thought installation,....ruining the looks totally.

Springer Fla wrote:
.....Springers are pretty but who wants to wax in between them?
.... :Umm: .....ME! :ShitGrin:

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

Kingkoa1
Studying MC Handbook

Post by Kingkoa1 »

Springer Fla wrote:
Springers are pretty but who wants to wax in between them? I Gray Prime new Springs. I'll take a new bike and paint the spokes, hubs, hard to reach places, including the side cover indents, etc. Then I'll wipe off the over spray with (fine) steel wool and/or chrome polish. You can either show or you can go. I try to do both. When I sell a bike, the chrome lasted - by far - better than most.

Fallen Angel is correct about the HD Triple Tree stem length fitting the Intruder neck. The problem is... you are trying to fit an American shaft to a metric neck. It is a tapered bearing. (The stock cage is plastic. I upgrade to Timken). Bearings are always measured in mm but I'd take your Thousands measurement along also.  How would you fit your metric Intruder wheel to a HD front end? The axles are different sizes + spacers, brakes, etc. Go slow and watch out for that Rabbit Hole.

Most important is: Learn about Rake and Trail.
While my S50 handled excellent with the springer, the S83 has a violent shimmy at 40mph with the same springer setup. It is either needing heavier bars (flexing) for the heavier bike, too much power, rockers, springs, other unknowns and that is using a stock neck at 36 degrees. I'm not an engineer. It is all trial and error.

Today, I abandoned putting the old school springer on the S83. R&R the headlight and its rewiring + making a bracket for it were two things; Then, I'd have to disconnect the clutch and brake hoses & pull them thru the triple tree. The deal breaker is having to bleed the clutch. Brakes are easy. The clutch could be a week long PITA. This 1400 is finished work, except for changing the fork seals. so I'm taking the easy way out. I've got other bikes to get to. It is a 1999 and it has been sitting. The acetylene torch did no good. I'm currently trying to dissolve the treads with hydrochloric acid during lunch. (micro-thousands).

I could write more but I have to go. Check this out > Only sold in Japan (as far as I know) was a Honda Steed. It is factory mfg-ed with a Springer. Maybe KingKoa1 would be interested in one of those - small bikes.
So I should use a tapered springer setup then? Do you or anybody you know have a springer front end you'd wanna part with brother?