Why these 90’s bikes are coming back, and why it’s awesome !

STRICTLY Motorcycle Talk allowed here. ALL others get deleted!!!!
sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Why these 90’s bikes are coming back, and why it’s awesome !

Post by sgtcall »

[YoutubeURL][/YoutubeURL]
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Re: Why these 90’s bikes are coming back, and why it’s awesome !

Post by Herb »

I wish they would bring them back. Maybe tweak it with fuel injection, fix the stupid clutch, and make it a cable clutch. Other than those 3 things, it is great as is.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

Herb wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:44 pm
I wish they would bring them back. Maybe tweak it with fuel injection, fix the stupid clutch, and make it a cable clutch. Other than those 3 things, it is great as is.
And a factory option for forward controls.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

:ShitGrinandThumb:
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

MattSunn
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Sportsters

Post by MattSunn »

I had a '97 like that. Beautiful bike. :ShitGrinandThumb:

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: Road King

Post by RoadKing »

Allow my thought without a whole lot of anger…

I have ridden with 1400 Intruders in heavy winds and observed the way they were buffeted about. However, even in the best of conditions, IMHO, that much motor in that light of a chassis may be fun fun fun for the short term but impractical for the long haul. I prefer low end torque with my horses, gutz and nutz if you will, in a stout chassis.
Thank you for allowing me to participate in this motorcycle discussion.
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury…
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

I have ridden the 1400s in high winds, snow, rain and even in nice weather and never had a major problem with them, even with a handlebar mount windshield. I really don't know where there is a problem compared to other bikes.

No, I haven't ridden in that ind of weather on one of the big Harleys so I am not sure how they would compare but the advantages of the smaller profile, lighter bike in all other conditions outweighs the advantage of a heavier bike in wind conditions.

We all make choices based on the way we use things. The vast majority of us don't normally ride long distance or in bad weather so the advantage of the heavier bike can be a disadvantage for normal riding.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

The VS1400 is one of the best looking bikes on the road. Look Harley even modeled the Dyna after it.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

sgtcall wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:52 am
The VS1400 is one of the best looking bikes on the road. Look Harley even modeled the Dyna after it.
I'm guessing RK will be here soon.... :OhNo;

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

hillsy v2 wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:35 pm
sgtcall wrote:
Why? Just stating facts.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

sgtcall wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:45 pm
hillsy v2 wrote:
sgtcall wrote:
Why? Just stating facts.
Is this from the re-written history book, or something?

Seriously - HD modelling a bike from a Jap manufacturer?

:lmao:

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

In 1991, the first official Dyna model was released with the introduction of the FXDB Sturgis. This limited-production model was named in honor of the annual bike rally located in South Dakota that is still held to this day. Approximately just 1,500 units were produced.

The Suzuki VS1400 Intruder was a four-stroke, air/oil cooled, 45 degree V-twin, SOHC, 6-valves Cruiser motorcycle produced by Suzuki between 1987 and 2004.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

I'm seeing in double vision. :ShitGrinandThumb:

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

My wife thinks like that - sees two bikes the same colour and thinks they are the same... :lmao:

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

hillsy v2 wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:08 pm
My wife thinks like that - sees two bikes the same colour and thinks they are the same... :lmao:
The overall design of the two bikes is very much the same, except the the Intruder doesn't have the Dyna Death Wobble.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

sgtcall wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:12 pm
hillsy v2 wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:08 pm
The overall design of the two bikes is very much the same, except the the Intruder doesn't have the Dyna Death Wobble.
If you want to argue the point the Intruder 1400 probably has more in common with the Sportster than the Dyna. The Dyna is the evolution of the FXR which has been around since 81.

But.....air cooled 45 degree v-twin?

If anyone has copied that off another manufacturer I think you got it ass backwards.

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: Road King

Post by RoadKing »

sgtcall wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:45 pm
hillsy v2 wrote:
sgtcall wrote:
Why? Just stating facts.
No, you are not stating facts. You admit to little or no experience riding big bore Hogs so your experience is incomplete. At a stop a buddy riding a 1400 said he’d been watching me (no doubt seeking flaws in my Harley) and commented that the winds did not seem to effect my bike. I told him he was right. I had been watching him fighting the gusts but didn’t say a word. My observations that day of his bike were enough for me in the way of “facts”.

Don’t know what you consider “normal” conditions, but if you haven’t ridden a Harley how can you comment on its advantages and disadvantages during “normal” riding conditions? I would also add that the safety and sturdiness of ANY bike in inclement conditions is of supreme importance. How can I trust a bike at any speed if it is incapable of highway speeds in gusty winds?

As far as “looks”? Every V Twin bike made in the past 50 years has been modeled after the timeless design of the iconic Harley road machine and the Harley “look” as well as sound has remained classic for over 50 years to the present. As far as that 91 Sturgis posted earlier? I remember when they first came out and thinking that was one homely wall flower girl looking bike no matter who they may have copied. No wonder they were “limited”.

Yes, I truly understand that riders have individual needs for the bikes they ride. I understand the huge affection that many riders have still for their Intruders and I think that is great. But I will make a statement of “fact” that is indisputable in saying that the 90’s Intruder is obsolete and has not been manufactured for a very long time while the Harley legend keeps evolving and rolling along. Hey, don’t vent your anger at me for that undeniable fact.
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury…
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

I have ridden with HD's, a lot. I haven't noticed them being any more stable than my 1400. On top of that the narrow, lighter 1400 has many advantages in traffic and parking lots.

NO HD rider has even been sitting alongside the road waiting for me to fix my 1400. Can't say the same for me and HD's.

My brother owned 3 of them putting 1/10th the miles on them that I did on the 1400s, at a much higher cost.

I really don't care what others ride or how they spend their money But I can damn well tell you that the cost of riding the 1400's, purchase, repairs and general upkeep on 2 bikes, one new and one used, over the last 34 years and 400,000+ miles has been less than the purchase of one new full size HD.

Are there things on the 1400 that I don't like, damn straight, but overall I have had a lot of transportation and fun with mine, with very few problems.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

If you ride your bikes regularly they will generally be more reliable. I've got a buddy who put 120km on a 2006 Softail without any issues. Still had the same drive belt.

It's when bikes sit for long periods or don't get ridden enough that they start to lose reliability.

Border Rat
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 98 Intruder VL1500

Post by Border Rat »

Best bike I ever had bought brand new 1990 Harley FXSTC
19 years and 70000miles did 2 top end .600$ CDN for machine work 3 hours for me to re assemble
Loved that bike.