Why these 90’s bikes are coming back, and why it’s awesome !

STRICTLY Motorcycle Talk allowed here. ALL others get deleted!!!!
Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Re: Why these 90’s bikes are coming back, and why it’s awesome !

Post by Designer »

Say Border Rat,...did you get your "grinding gears" issue fixed?

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

Border Rat
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 98 Intruder VL1500

Post by Border Rat »

Howdy .Finally managed to pull my head out of that dark place Ive been in laterly and check in here.Yes I did figure that out.Bled the clutch again and got 1 large bubble.I still get a bit of a grind occassionally.Now Ive just to take rear brake calipher apart and see why it dont release or apply properly.And try and rebuild my life....

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

Border Rat wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:54 pm
Now Ive just to take rear brake calipher apart and see why it dont release or apply properly.And try and rebuild my life....
The calipers are notorious for getting crud in them and having sticking pistons. Usually one side worse than the other - the tell tale sign is one pad wearing out quicker (usually the inside pad). Also check the floating buttons for the disc - they are known to loosen and the disc get "sloppy" on the carrier. I snugged mine up with an eyelet punch I had for the rivets you see on tarpaulins.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

Border Rat wrote:
Howdy .Finally managed to pull my head out of that dark place Ive been in laterly and check in here. Yes I did figure that out.Bled the clutch again and got 1 large bubble.I still get a bit of a grind occasionally.
This is GREAT! :space: SO glad you are doing better. :space: So, I take it you flushed out all the Darkened and Dirty Fluid. :space: Interesting that you got just one large bubble. Must have been from within the Dark Fluid.
Most of the time, any air in the system "appears" as very tiny micro-bubbles when you purge the system dong this method;
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4

If you are still getting a "grinding" ,...have you tried this?
Border Rat wrote:
Now I've just to take rear brake caliper apart and see why it dont release or apply properly.And try and rebuild my life....
When working on this Brake issue, make sure the extended Pistons a VERY clean before pushing them back into the Caliper. Since you report no leaking, there's a very good chance the Seals are okay, so a Caliper Rebuild looks unlikely.

I clean mine with Brake Clean (or equivalent) and use a toothbrush to scrub them all the way around before pushing them back in. (caliper off, but still hydraulically attached). you might then bleed all new fluid through.

Then,...take a RIDE and "rebuild" your life! :space: :rock: :clap:

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

I spray the pistons with PB Blaster and don't have any problems.

I started using it when I was overseas for 7 months and the pistons were sticking in the out position. I sprayed them and worked them back and forth with a screwdriver and the pedal. Now I spray them every time I work on the brakes and after every wash or riding in the rain/wet.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.