Pallet bike - Hyosung GT650r Comet

STRICTLY Motorcycle Talk allowed here. ALL others get deleted!!!!
hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Pallet bike - Hyosung GT650r Comet

Post by hillsy v2 »

OK so I'm normally not into restoring total wrecks as such - but I thought I'd chance my arm at this one...

It started a few weeks back. I always keep an eye on the salvage auctions at our local yard and this one caught my eye. I was actually joking with a friend of mine about why they would present this on a pallet when it looked like it could easily be put upright:

Anyway...a few auctions had passed and this thing was STILL THERE. Musing aplenty...next thing you know I'm throwing the opening bid in at a negligible price....no other bids...then it ends up being mine :dunno:

So, off to the auction yard I go thinking all the time "what surprises am I going to find on the pallet side of the bike?". It didn't really worry me to be honest - as long as the thing could sit upright on the stand it was still worth twice what I was paying for it so it was just costing me a bit of my time.

Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised to find virtually no damage to the hidden side of the bike:

Here's a couple of pics of some of the other victims in the yard - I guess you'd become immune to it if you worked there - but I felt pretty depressed being amongst such evidences of tragedy:

Back to the bike - here it is back at home base:

Potentially promising sign on the mileage

The bike was listed as an insurance write-off - and with a notation in the damage description saying "Malicious/ Vandalised"...so there were a few things that went along with that. One being someone had tried to remove the fuel cap by unbolting the ring mount:

Not sure if you would class this as "malicious" :lmao:

And a few oddball things:

Anyway, moving on...there was no key for the bike. No problem - I know a guy that gave me a box of keys a while ago:

And some potential matches (but no luck):

Yes - I tried a bunch of other keys but no matches for this bike. So...time to pull the locks...

I bought a set of lock picking tools off eBay a while ago. I'd never actually used them because whenever I ever needed to mess with a lock I'd already had them apart - but this was a different story:

I knew from experience that the lock retaining wafer was at the bottom of the barrel and accessible from the key entry....so I just had to choose my weapon:

So....put it in and pretty much just jiggle it around until....

Hell yes! :rock:

So onto the tank lock....

A bit of jiggling with a screwdriver and it was free:

So now I had the locks out I could put some power in and turn on the ignition - 51K KM is not too bad for one of these...

Then I re-wafered the locks to suit one of the Hyosung keys I had in the box:

So that's it for now. The battery was pretty much dead so I have that on cycle charge. It's slowly coming back to life but we'll see if it does enough to start the bike. It turns over (slowly) but I haven't got to the point where I've put fuel in it yet. The only other fully charged batteries I have at the moment are in my Vstrom or the Burgman and to be honest I couldn't be bothered pulling either of those out.

It appears it may have been a repossession or some other insurance write-off. It's a 2006 model so it's over 15 years old and not on any registers (WOVR, etc). It also came with a clean PPSR / title so that is good.

Anyway - I probably won't do much on it now until after the Easter weekend as we are going camping....but...stay tuned :ShitGrinandThumb:

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: Pallet bike - Hyosung GT650r Comet

Post by navigator »

Cool! :rag:

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

I left the battery to trickle / cycle charge overnight - and it's holding good voltage now.

I told myself I was going to leave it until next week when we get back from camping...but I couldn't resist so I hooked up an AUX fuel tank and hit the button.

It fired up pretty much straight away. No smoke, settled into a decent idle (I think the tank and carbs were run dry which was a good thing), revved pretty nicely.

I thought it had a stock muffler on it but it is SUPER LOUD. I think maybe the muffler has been gutted? Engine sounded pretty quiet other wise so I can let it sit now and not wonder about it until I get back from holidays :ShitGrinandThumb:

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

Great story and great find. Hope to see more soon.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

Just thought of this. One of the guys on my Triumph site had his bike hit while parked in a parking lot. It knocked it over and there was some minor cosmetic damage. He rode the bike home that day. But there was a scratch on the back side of the frame, just knocked the paint off, the insurance adjuster considered it structural damage and totaled the bike out. The bike was 3 months old and the guy had pay off insurance on it so he got $3000 cash then he just bought another one and even made a few bucks on the deal. Your bike may have something similar wrong.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

sgtcall wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:24 pm
Just thought of this. One of the guys on my Triumph site had his bike hit while parked in a parking lot. It knocked it over and there was some minor cosmetic damage. He rode the bike home that day. But there was a scratch on the back side of the frame, just knocked the paint off, the insurance adjuster considered it structural damage and totaled the bike out. The bike was 3 months old and the guy had pay off insurance on it so he got $3000 cash then he just bought another one and even made a few bucks on the deal. Your bike may have something similar wrong.
No - there's no accident damage on this thing whatsoever. That's kinda what drew me to the bike in the first place. Look at the first pics above where it is on the pallet - all panels intact, indicators still there, etc.

It is over 15 years old so when the insurance writes it off it's just from an uneconomical to repair aspect - and it doesn't get listed on any write-off registers. They don't really look at the damage on these older bikes the same as they do on newer / on register bikes.

It's a little baffling but I'd say it's either a repossession from non payment or it was claimed as stolen / vandalized. I'm guessing the attempt to get into the fuel tank is part of that....plus when the guy took off the number plate before I left the yard I could see the plate was supposed to be 407AA but someone had whited out part of the first 4 so it read 104AA. Maybe that was part of the vandalism / theft thing as well??

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

sgtcall wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:02 pm
In case you need a manual for it.

https://www.motorcyclemanuals.info/moto ... s/hyosung/
Thanks sgt - I found one for the cruiser (Aquila) which is pretty much the same mechanically but the GT one in your link will be better :ShitGrinandThumb:

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

So back from Easter holiday camping with the family. I went to the shed after being away for 4 days and the bike turned over strong and fired up just with the fuel in the carbs - so that's the battery back to life.

Time to get the fuel tank back on - but probably best to give it a flush.

Here's the tap - it's a vacuum job

And there was a bit of gunk on the strainer

A bit of brake cleaner and it's good

Gave the tank a quick rinse and got some more crud out of it

Funny because it actually looks rust free

Anyway - got it back together, checked the tyres, etc and took it for a quick spin. I got about 3 blocks until it started running on one cylinder. Sounded like fuel starvation so I limped it back home. Will pull the carbs and see what's going on there. Might also be a leak in the vacuum hoses to either the fuel tap or the fuel pump (they run a vacuum fuel pump like an outboard) but hopefully all is revealed soon enough. Rides OK otherwise - except after riding the Vstrom my wrists ache from the crouching on this thing.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

Well the carbs are off...

Gotta say they are absolutely filthy on the outside so hopefully they are the same on the inside and that's the problem. Didn't feel like pulling them apart today so that's tomorrow's job.

While they were out I checked valve clearances and was pleasantly surprised to find then all in spec.

Also dumped the oil and pulled the strainer - no real surprises there so it looks like this bike was serviced fairly regularly.

I also fixed a few broken tabs on the plastics - I found a new way to reinforce the joins thanks to the internet so I'll take a few pics of that tomorrow.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

hillsy v2 wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:05 am

I also fixed a few broken tabs on the plastics - I found a new way to reinforce the joins thanks to the internet so I'll take a few pics of that tomorrow.
Is it OK to quote yourself?

Here's pics...

Ordinary staples

Soldering iron

Yeah the pallet side fairing DID get a few cracks...

Break up the staples

Put them over the crack

Melt them in...

Repeat until you're happy...

So it's not perfect - but I will dab some black paint on the outside of the cracks and it will look OK.

Neat trick, eh? I've seen guns with special squiggly tips you use to join plastics but never thought of using staples and a soldering iron. Thanks internet :ShitGrinandThumb:

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

:ShitGrinandThumb:

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

Holy crap - that ain't good :lmao:

Yeah - that's the front intake port full of gas. At least I know the intake valves have a good seal :mrgreen:

The carbs didn't leak on the bench....but alas they need more attention....

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

It ended up being both the float valve and the o-ring in the vacuum tap being bad. Replaced both, syncd the carbs and its running pretty good now. Still fuggin loud - I've got a few exhaust plugs somewhere - I might see if I can find one to fit.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

So I started looking at the front brakes. Really wooden feeling and in need of some love.

I tried to pop the pistons out with air - but they would NOT budge. I was almost going to ask sgt for a loan of his magic pancake compressor, but I ended up re-purposing a pair for circlip pliers that opened out to grip the inside of the pistons so I could tweak them out. So much crud in the seal channels....

Anyway, the pistons are pitted:

Not great. Even worse is a set of new pistons would cost more than I actually paid for the whole bike...

Ideally they should be replaced but I had another idea....

I know this stuff works on fork stanchions and I've heard of people also using it on caliper pistons so I'm giving it a go.

I'll let you know if it actually works....

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

So it's pretty hard to capture this in pics....but I think we are on a winner.

Here's the JB Weld sanded down...

And here is a pic against the light to attempt to show the hole is filled...

I won't know until they are all back together (I'm going to look at the SHB's whilst the front is apart) but it's looking pretty good so far. When I run my fingers and fingernails across the fill I can't feel any ridges so I reckon it's good :cheers:

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

So the calipers went back together and no leaks.

I bled the system and strapped the lever back to the bars overnight to test....and absolutely no leaks so that's a massive fkn win :clap:

I've pulled the rear caliper now and there's a few pits on the pistons so it's getting the same treatment.

Sometimes ghetto works... :cheers:

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

:clap: :cheers:

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

It's all back together - I've ridden it again in the hope that somehow I would be able to live with the racer crouch but alas - no way. So It's going up for sale.

Came up pretty tidy in the end...

Brakes are good - no leaks...

No before shots....but the wheels were filthy...but not any more...

Someone will enjoy this. It pulls pretty hard.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

So just to close this out - sold the bike yesterday afternoon to a young chap named Adam. He was pretty happy with the bike's condition and I wasn't too greedy on the price so smiles all round.

I still made a tidy profit - and resurrected a bike that was destined for the crusher - so a good result :ShitGrinandThumb: