VT Registration?

STRICTLY Motorcycle Talk allowed here. ALL others get deleted!!!!
Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder VS800

VT Registration?

Post by Acton67 »

Looking at a 86 VS1400 with no paperwork from NJ. The guy claims he picked it up from a mechanic who was "clearing out bikes that customers never picked up". He's selling for parts or repair, and the price was decent enough to catch my interest.

I currently own a VS 800 that I fixed up last year and got plenty of experience working on, a few of you guys probably remember me from that bike. Figured I'd take the experience and either flip another bike or fix up a 1400 for myself this winter.

Anyone ever go through the process of getting a Vermont registration on a bike? I'm from NY, bike is from NJ. I hear all you need is a bill of sale?

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Re: VT Registration?

Post by sgtcall »

I have no idea about registration but I am in New Jersey. If the bike is near my area I could swing by and take a look at it for you just to see if it looks decent. Do you know what town it is in?
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by Acton67 »

sgtcall wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:17 pm
I have no idea about registration but I am in New Jersey. If the bike is near my area I could swing by and take a look at it for you just to see if it looks decent. Do you know what town it is in?
Come on man, not cool.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

Acton67 wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:10 pm
sgtcall wrote:
Come on man, not cool.
1. I have a newish bike and don't have room for another.
2. I will never own another bike with carbs.
3. I just thought you might want someone to get eyes on it before you drive down to see it.

You don't want help, no issue for me.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by Acton67 »

sgtcall wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:25 pm
Acton67 wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:10 pm
sgtcall wrote:
Come on man, not cool.
1. I have a newish bike and don't have room for another.
2. I will never own another bike with carbs.
3. I just thought you might want someone to get eyes on it before you drive down to see it.

You don't want help, no issue for me.
If you're sincere, no hard feelings. Can't blame me for my reaction though. It's kinda suspect, especially since we don't know each other. I'm a pretty open and friendly guy, but it's hard to trust people in this day and age. It's really sad, especially since maybe you're honestly just offering help. I've been screwed one to many times though, so thanks for the offer but I'm going to pass.

If you have any tips on what to look for though I'm all ears. Going to do a compression check, if it's got good compression and the starter motor works I can figure out the rest with enough time. I need to figure out how to look up the VIN number though and make sure it's not stolen. I've been watching some YouTube videos on the topic. Was hoping to get some advice on the topic here.

If the deal goes through though I'll definitely post pictures, I've learned a lot on these forums and it'll be fun to work on a project bike that I can take my time with since it won't be my main ride.

What kind of bike do you have? The carbs are a pain in the ass for sure, went through cleaning and synching them on my vs800. I've got the carb tune, ultrasonic cleaner and recent experience from my last bike. Figured this would be the best time to jump into it with another bike. I genuinely enjoyed the troubleshooting experience I went through last year and used intruders can be had at a reasonable price.

I'd love to jump over to Harleys at this point, but everyone wants at least $3k for them around here. Seriously overpriced.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

I have verified vin numbers through the police. If the bike has a license plate you can also check that through the police.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by Acton67 »

Herb wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:11 pm
I have verified vin numbers through the police. If the bike has a license plate you can also check that through the police.
What do I do, just call my local police department with the VIN number and ask them to run it?

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Acton67 wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:20 pm
Herb wrote:
What do I do, just call my local police department with the VIN number and ask them to run it?
That is what I did, I explained that I was concerned about the vehicle because of no title and it was a better than average deal. They called me back the next day and said it had not been reported stolen. This was in the 70's and nothing was as quick as today.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

Herb wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:51 pm
Acton67 wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:20 pm
Herb wrote:
That is what I did, I explained that I was concerned about the vehicle because of no title and it was a better than average deal. They called me back the next day and said it had not been reported stolen. This was in the 70's and nothing was as quick as today.
I was thinking that might have been a while ago.

I did the same back in the mid 90s over here - was looking at a Katana for cheap and rang my local police station. They ran the vin over the phone and it came back clean.

Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by Acton67 »

Local police station won't do it, said I have to contact the DMV. Cops are so helpful these days!

Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by Acton67 »

Decided against buying the bike. It's going for $600, needs coils and paperwork. It's a good deal to be had for anyone looking to work on a project bike. I decided not to buy due to my job situation this winter and a potential lack of time to work on the bike. Links below, guy sent me a picture of the VIN, he's not hiding anything.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... tid=dXMIcH

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

Acton67 wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:01 am
Decided against buying the bike. It's going for $600, needs coils and paperwork. It's a good deal to be had for anyone looking to work on a project bike. I decided not to buy due to my job situation this winter and a potential lack of time to work on the bike. Links below, guy sent me a picture of the VIN, he's not hiding anything.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... tid=dXMIcH
I would have passed on that as well - lot's of work. Looks like it was parked partially submerged.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

The ad says 86, the first 1400 was introduced in 87. It might have been first sold in late 86 but it was an 87 model.

Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by Acton67 »

The seller reduced the price to $375 so I bought it. The carbs alone are worth more then that. It's missing the rear seat, coils, throttle grip and rubber boot for rear carb. The throttle cables will also need to be repaired or replaced.

It's actually a 97, I looked up the VIN before purchase.
The previous owner knew nothing about these bikes, he didn't even know that the clutch was hydronlic. He was ready to part it on ebay.

These bikes regularly sell for at least $3k in the spring, if I get it running and throw on a new paint job I can probably get more.

Between getting the VT registration and then transferring it to NY I think I'll need to invest another $3-400. I'm going to make a separate post on the 1400 forums tomorrow with additional pictures. Believe it or not my 800 was in worse condition then this bike was and I got it for $450, it did come with paperwork though unlike this bike.

Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by Acton67 »

Delete

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

Those Jardine forwards are worth $300.