Small bike - kinda big project....

STRICTLY Motorcycle Talk allowed here. ALL others get deleted!!!!
hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Small bike - kinda big project....

Post by hillsy »

So I've been upgrading a little 1st gen 250 Ninja (with the intent that my daughter might want to start riding) and in the process I stumbled across a rather neglected and rashed up 300r....

I got this for $200 and only really wanted it for the clutch basket assembly (slipper clutch) and the rear shock (preload adjustable) to fix / upgrade the 250. Don't be fooled - that picture makes it look good - heaps of stuff was FUBAR'd

So after I took the bits off it I stripped the rest down to the frame and kept a box of things that were OK ....and dumped the rest..

Kept the motor and frame as there was no write-off status (IE: clean title)...

Anyway, being a slack ass I never ended up offloading or selling the stuff - and low and behold a guy puts a statutory write-off bike with some rear end damage up on marketplace for very little dollars...so I snapped it up

It had been smacked up the rear...

Buckled wheel (not out of round though) but I have a spare from red bike....

And the fairings had a few cracks...

Anyway I put the rear indicators / bracket on from the red carcass (and a plate from another bike :OhNo; )

And put the red bike muffler on because... A) that pissy little thing it had on it was loud.... B) it was held on with hose clamps....and C) I wasn't wanting to attract unwanted attention...

I know, I know - I can't find my paddock stand :funnylast: I think I lent it to someone... :dunno:

Took it for a spin and it's REALLY sweet. The Statutory Write-off rules here are pretty harsh - if there is ANY suspected damage to the frame it will be deemed a stat write-off and that VIN frame cannot be re-registered. Hence this thing was cheap. I think they suspected the rear end was bent when it got hit (it's not). Anyway, I have a CLEAN frame from red bike and I am allowed to use the engine from the stat write-off bike (I might throw the red bike engine it there to see if it runs).

So - now the fun begins with stripping it down to a bare frame and re-building it on the other frame.

It's OK - I'll drink some beer while I'm doing it :ShitGrinandThumb:

I might end up keeping this one for my daughter as it's actually nicer to ride than the 250.

More pics to come but like anything I end up doing in the shed - don't hold your breath....

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Re: Small bike - kinda big project....

Post by sgtcall »

Nice work hillsy, good luck.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

sgtcall wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:20 pm
Nice work hillsy, good luck.
Hey thanks - I like to resurrect things destined for the dumpster - especially when they don't deserve that fate :ShitGrinandThumb:

Finding intact rear plastics for these things is pretty hard - they have tiny mounting lugs that all tend to break quite easily. So I started to fill the hole in the back of the one I already had with some ABS rods and my soldering iron. Normally I would have used a heat gun with a directional nozzle but these panels are REALLY thin and would warp too easily....

From this hole

To this fill

Obviously needs some fill and paint but at least the panel isn't in two pieces any more :clap:

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

You could use a Plastic welding kit.

https://www.harborfreight.com/80-watt-i ... d-EALw_wcB
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

sgtcall wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:27 pm
You could use a Plastic welding kit.

https://www.harborfreight.com/80-watt-i ... d-EALw_wcB
The cheapest one of those is basically a soldering iron - which is what I've used here. I also have a hot air style one but I didn't use that here because these panels are really thin and they would have distorted (also more likely because I am not an expert at plastic welding :ShitGrin:).

I re-welded the fairings on my old ZX9r before I converted it into a naked bike some years back and still have the tools / welding rods from that.

Plastic welding sounds easy but it's a black art in some ways - you can easily get it wrong. Anyway - I'm not looking for perfection here by any means.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

Zip ties have always been my go to method. :rag:

MattSunn
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Sportsters

Post by MattSunn »

Love the zipties. :ShitGrinandThumb:
Nice project hillsy.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Cheers MattSunn - I probably would have gone with zipties as well except there was a gaping hole to fill in that panel...

Anyway not having a race stand was annoying me - last time I looked they were only $50 but I couldn't find one for under $100....I'm trying to get this thing done without spending anything if possible...so I made one...

And a coat of paint to hopefully hide my shit welds...

Just waiting for it to dry now and will stand the bike up to start the strip down :ShitGrinandThumb:

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

And we're away! :ShitGrinandThumb:

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

So I managed to get a few extra hours in the shed and have got the tiddler down to a rolling chassis with engine...

Now to be fair - the assessors were pretty much right on the money to write this thing off - these crash bobbin holders have saved the fairings, but have ended up bending the frame at the top engine mounts...

These wing looking things are supposed to be in a straight line, not swept back...

So - the fun will continue trying to get these things off without bringing out the angle grinder :cheers:

MattSunn
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by MattSunn »

Nice job on the stand! I'm following this. Good luck. :ShitGrinandThumb:

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

MattSunn wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:23 am
Nice job on the stand! I'm following this. Good luck. :ShitGrinandThumb:
Haha - the steel for the stand was from an old trampoline.

I've got this thing about recycling steel - we've had a few trampolines for the kids over the years which would normally have gone to trash but I've made them into other things at times....

Climbing frames for the kids...

And I made a couple of fire pits out of a 44 gallon drum which I cut in half...and used some of the trampoline frame to make the stands

I like welding stuff :ShitGrinandThumb:

MattSunn
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by MattSunn »

I like those firepits. :ShitGrinandThumb:

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

MattSunn wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:11 am
I like those firepits. :ShitGrinandThumb:
Yeah - they work pretty well. I put a couple of vents in the bottom (covered with C channel) to direct air into the middle and they burn nice and clean. Everything was recycled steel except for the C channel and the grate.

Here's my daughter and her friends having a mock camp out in the backyard a while back...

And it burns pretty much everything right down to ash...

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

So back to the bike - it's all apart now.....

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

The top engine mounts on the write off frame were pretty heavily tweaked by the crash bobbins...

Quite skew..

And here's the new frame's mounts for reference...

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

So this is where I've ended up for today...

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Righteo - so after some measurements and eyeballing of the whole thing I've decided I'm sending the rolling chassis off to my frame straightening guy to check out / fix. This will put a bit of a dent in the budget but we're still well in the black. I'm either keeping this bike for my daughter to ride or selling off to a newbie so I'm not comfortable with the possibility of it being bent. This will take a couple of weeks turnaround so I'll concentrate on other things until it's back.

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by FallenAngel »

Thaanks for the build thread
Nice scooter stand as well excellent use of old material
I recycle everything I can
There was an elderly welder in our neighborhood that would build rolling Go Cart frames out of old swing sets all we needed to provide was an engine and wheels

I was hoping you would share what you do in your new shed
Keep them coming and Ill be watching this thread for as long as your posting

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

FallenAngel wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:42 pm
Thaanks for the build thread
Nice scooter stand as well excellent use of old material
I recycle everything I can
There was an elderly welder in our neighborhood that would build rolling Go Cart frames out of old swing sets all we needed to provide was an engine and wheels

I was hoping you would share what you do in your new shed
Keep them coming and Ill be watching this thread for as long as your posting
Cheers FA - yes the shed is fully functional and a fun place to escape to :ShitGrinandThumb:

I'll keep this thread going but there might be a bit of a hiatus as the chassis needs to go off to the guy with the big square jig.