Adventure bikes

STRICTLY Motorcycle Talk allowed here. ALL others get deleted!!!!
hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Adventure bikes

Post by hillsy »

OK - I'm in the market for a new bike. When I say "new" I mean new to me - the budget is around 10-12k AUD.

I do like my xj900 but the semi sports bike leg position is starting to cause me discomfort - and after riding my buddies 1250 BMW GSA it kind of makes sense to go Adventure bike as I am pretty long in the leg department (which is why I bought an LC about 10 years ago and ended up on IA and here).

So.....today I went out to a few dealers and rode....

2010 XTZ1200 SUPER TENERE

2015 KTM 1050 ADVENTURE

2014 TRIUMPH TIGER EXPLORER

All of them were in fairly decent condition and all had around 30k miles on them. The Triumph was the most refined of the lot - the KTM had the usual clunky donk that sounded like it was going to throw a rod at idle (that's normal) but at the same time felt raw and peppy. The Yam was pretty good but was probably the roughest of the lot cosmetically.

So, any input for other bikes to try? I am keen to try a 1000 Vstrom from 2014 up but there's none around here right now. Are any of the smaller bikes worth a look? 650 Vstrom? 800 Tigers? In my mind I am thinking anything under 1000cc is just going to disappoint but what's your thoughts?

MattSunn
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Sportsters

Re: Adventure bikes

Post by MattSunn »

I think, if you're not pressed for time, you should try out some of the smaller bikes, to see if they will disappoint you. Only experience I've had with an adventure bike is a KLR. It's reliable, pretty much bulletproof, but probably way underpowered for you, considering what you've looked at so far. I only got rid of it because I'm short and the 35" seat height got to be a PITA to mount and dismount. I think TBeck has had one or two ADV bikes and there might be a coupla other folks here who've owned them. Best of luck in your search.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

MattSunn wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:25 am
I think, if you're not pressed for time, you should try out some of the smaller bikes, to see if they will disappoint you. Only experience I've had with an adventure bike is a KLR. It's reliable, pretty much bulletproof, but probably way underpowered for you, considering what you've looked at so far. I only got rid of it because I'm short and the 35" seat height got to be a PITA to mount and dismount. I think TBeck has had one or two ADV bikes and there might be a coupla other folks here who've owned them. Best of luck in your search.
Cheers - yes have ridden a few KLR's and they are too small for me power wise. But yeah - they are pretty reliable along with the DR650.

I'm hearing some good things about some of the 800 ADV's so I might check them out as well.

This whole thing started when I took my buddies 1250GSA out for a few hundred miles so it's all his fault :ShitGrinandThumb:

Timbox
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 2000 1400

Post by Timbox »

I see your point on the power issue. The KLR is just a nice mellow bike and if you are used to or want power, there is really no milking anymore out of them. Great bikes as they are, but for power nope.

The newest bike you can get for the money is best and I would love to get the KTM.

Have to make a pros and cons list and then decide from there. Good luck and I hope to see a pic on here of the new bike soon.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Quite a timely revival of this thread - this fella followed me home today :ShitGrinandThumb:

2014 V-Strom DL1000A.

Came with a bit of luggage

And a nice throaty can :clap:

Near new chain / sprockets

And just really clean all round....

Goes pretty hard....stops on a dime (ABS and TC). Super comfy. Really relaxed twin rumble (kinda missed that)...

Happy days :cheers:

MattSunn
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by MattSunn »

Nice! Best of luck with it. :ShitGrinandThumb:

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

First overnighter ride on the Strom - so comfortable over all the shit roads we have over here....

Stayed in a small town called Killarney - not a real long way away from Brisbane but over half the journey was through the mountains on one lane roads and it was really nice. Once you get past Beaudesert it's all twisty mountain range stuff....

Next day brekkie at an inconspicuous cafe...

Mud map...

We couldn't leave Brisbane til about 2PM so hence the shortish ride and beers at the pub.... :ShitGrinandThumb:

MattSunn
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by MattSunn »

:ShitGrinandThumb:

maxriderdon
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: Suzuki GSX1250FA

Post by maxriderdon »

Of 14 different bikes, the V-Strom was the best overall bike I ever owned, did nothing exceptional, did pretty much everything well.

Enjoy!

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

maxriderdon wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:47 pm
Of 14 different bikes, the V-Strom was the best overall bike I ever owned, did nothing exceptional, did pretty much everything well.

Enjoy!
I've ridden a few ADV bikes now and the Strom ticked the most boxes for me.

Not the top of the tree as far as bells and whistles and outright performance goes - but it does everything I ask of it around 90% as well as more expensive bikes.

Duckiemonster
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 87 Intruder-08 gsxr750-17 husk

Post by Duckiemonster »

I'm super late to the thread but had to say my vstrom650 (2012) was my first bike and carried me 84k miles with zero complaints before black ice ended it. Hope that 1k is still doing you well, I almost bought one instead of the intruder 😁 the stromtrooper forum is a great place with a wealth of information, advrider as well! I used to be active on both but haven't kept up on it for a few years now.