VS 1400 Battery Box

STRICTLY Motorcycle Talk allowed here. ALL others get deleted!!!!
sky02
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: VS1400 93

Re: VS 1400 Battery Box

Post by sky02 »

I don't get the battery problem, maybe because i dont have lowered shocks.
All i do is unscrew the black plastic cover. Take it off to one side. Unscrew the terminals (i have side ones). Unscrew one of the bottom swing doors bolt. Unscrew second one while holding the bottom so it wont open under the weight of battery. Open the swing door, the battery drops and i just take it out with little rotation opposite the way the swing door opens (i think its towards the front) and thats it. 5min tops. No lifts no digging holes.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

sky02 wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:36 am
All i do is unscrew the black plastic cover. Take it off to one side. Unscrew the terminals (i have side ones). Unscrew one of the bottom swing doors bolt. Unscrew second one while holding the bottom so it wont open under the weight of battery. Open the swing door, the battery drops and i just take it out with little rotation opposite the way the swing door opens (i think its towards the front) and thats it. 5min tops. No lifts no digging holes.
Some of the taller batteries don't fit as well. If you have one that fits correctly you should make sure to get a new one that is the same size.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

sgtcall wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:05 pm
sky02 wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:36 am
Some of the taller batteries don't fit as well. If you have one that fits correctly you should make sure to get a new one that is the same size.
I enlarged the battery box so I could put in a battery large enough to get the damn thing to start in cold weather. it is longer, wider and taller than the original and the bike starts fine down to below freezing.

I still have no major problem getting the battery out of the bike. Oh, and I have top mount terminals, again, no major problem.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

buckey1313
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 2002 SUZUKI INTRUDER 1400

Post by buckey1313 »

Get a Norco Lithium Battery which is awesome. You do not have to ever remove it again until it is shot. The battery also shuts itself down if you leave lights on in 15 minutes you never have to be without starting power. Now Norco is the one to get as it has this feature and it works like a dam.

It also cranks over bike allot better and fires it up. I am loving it for sure very happy with the purchase.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

buckey1313 wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:42 am
Get a Norco Lithium Battery which is awesome. You do not have to ever remove it again until it is shot. The battery also shuts itself down if you leave lights on in 15 minutes you never have to be without starting power. Now Norco is the one to get as it has this feature and it works like a dam.

It also cranks over bike allot better and fires it up. I am loving it for sure very happy with the purchase.
How do you reset the "off" feature when you do return after 15 or more minutes?

HARRIS
Bike in shop for repair
My Bike: VS 800- HONDA VALKYRIE- MAGNA

Post by HARRIS »

INTRUDER'S USE " BACKWARD'S BATTERIES, THE TERMINALS ARE IN REVERSED POSITIONS ...
Luck & Experience:
You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck