Stupid throttle grip!

General questions not related to any bike specifically.
Every day questions, batteries, oil, spark plugs, etc. etc!
Think if it as the, Motorcycle Chit Chat Channel.
woodsnake
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1995 VS1400

Stupid throttle grip!

Post by woodsnake »

When I got my Intruder, it had the stock grips on it, and they were tired and crappy looking. They worked, for a while, and then I "upgraded" to a pair of the rubber inserted chrome looking things. They were like 25 bucks, shipped, from E-bay. They worked great for about 2 years, and then for some reason, the temperature in my garage melted the glue, and so my throttle would slide around while riding. Very aggravating. So I bought another set, very similar, and they failed in the same manner, in about 6 months.
So-
What is a reasonably priced fix for this? do I HAVE to pay a hundred, plus dollars for a pair of Alren Ness ones?
What has worked for the rest of you?

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Suzi 1400

Re: Stupid throttle grip!

Post by YoDude »

It would seem, just use a better glue that doesn't interact with the composition of the grips. Talk to someone at a MC dealer or shop. [emoji106]

Yo-
Intelligence is just the right thing to have, to render yourself extinct.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Yep - I had the cheap ones and the glue is crap.

I re-glued mine with Contact Adhesive (Gorilla Glue?) and they were fine for years [emoji106]

woodsnake
Tricycles are Cool

Post by woodsnake »

I did use not one, but two other aftermarket adhesives, before posting the question, and buying the second set that also failed. THe second adhesive sounded like just the ticket, having been made by a military guy (or so the tube said) specifically for my problem. For some reason the heat caused the glue to fail. I'd be willing to try another type of adhesive, before spending the money on a "good" pair of grips. Seems like such a stupid thing to happen, not once, but twice!

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

I used this stuff:

I used a fair bit of it I suppose - enough for the rubber of the grip to slide easily over the throttle tube. Then let it set and it was good for as long as the grips lasted (the rubber parts wore out after a few years). Then I bought a new set of grips and did the same thing straight away.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

I use shoe goo or plumbers goop for things like this. They set up quickly, are waterproof, seem to be impervious to heat and cold, and last for a long time.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

woodsnake
Tricycles are Cool

Post by woodsnake »

I've never seen the kwik grip before, but shoe goo is common enough. Thanks for the replies, I will try and get something going again soon on the poor bike...

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Kwik Grip and Shoe Goo are quite similar - although Shoe Goo sets a bit firmer than Kwik Grip. Either should work OK.