Blowing a fuse

General questions not related to any bike specifically.
Every day questions, batteries, oil, spark plugs, etc. etc!
Think if it as the, Motorcycle Chit Chat Channel.
wallylong
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: VS 1400 Intruder

Blowing a fuse

Post by wallylong »

A while back I put some purple LED around the engine of my 1400 Intruder. I never had an issue with them until riding back from Colorado in August 2018, I hit a torrential rain storm. The lights stopped working. The fuse blew. Ever since then, the fuse keeps blowing. I replace it and sometimes it works for a couple hundred miles. Sometimes only a few miles into town. I have looked closely at the actual LED wiring and it is all good.

Is there a common wire or junction that after it gets wet causes a short? I am not sure where to start looking for the short. All of the other electrical functions are working properly. No other fuses blow. Just the one for the LED's.

Thank you!!!
Wally

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Suzi 1400

Re: Blowing a fuse

Post by YoDude »

Yes! There is a common wire that's causing your problem. The thing is this, only you can find it because you put this custom alteration on your bike!

Yo-
Intelligence is just the right thing to have, to render yourself extinct.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Maybe it's a sign that your bike doesn't want to be lit up like a Christmas tree?

wallylong
Tricycles are Cool

Post by wallylong »

Thanks, YoDude. That particular wire has been checked and rechecked. It worked for a year until I hit that rainstorm. I appreciate the sentiment though.

Hillsy, you may be right. But again, it didn't seem to have a problem being lit up like a Christmas tree until I hit that rain storm.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

If the water infiltrated and shorted one of the LED pods internally, the fuse will blow.
Just like the old Christmas lights, if one goes out, they all go out.
Disconnect all the LED pods, then reconnect them one at a time until you find the one(s) that blow the fuse.

wallylong
Tricycles are Cool

Post by wallylong »

Thanks, Navigator. I'll give that a try.