Vs 800 cutting off. Why?

General questions not related to any bike specifically.
Every day questions, batteries, oil, spark plugs, etc. etc!
Think if it as the, Motorcycle Chit Chat Channel.
Wolfgang1691
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1997 Suzuki VS 800 Intruder

Vs 800 cutting off. Why?

Post by Wolfgang1691 »

Hey guys I am looking for helpful wisdom from anyone who may know or who has been in this similar situation I have recently got a 97 Suzuki VS 800 GL intruder which has been sitting for a while and the original battery was completely dead I ordered a new one in the bike starts fine. Prior to getting this new battery the bike would idol fine and I could rock the throttle on the charger. I have my new battery now so the bike starts fine but it seems to be idling low and if I were to give it gas it would cut off. I think I need to get the carburetor tuned. Any help or suggestions would be great thank you in advance

-Wolf

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: Vs 800 cutting off. Why?

Post by navigator »

These bikes like a high idle.
Right hand side of the bike, on the rear carb is a thumbscrew to set the idle. set it around 1000 rpm.
Use the choke to start it, and once it's up to temperature, push it in.
Run a few ounces of Seafoam in a tank of gas to help clean the carbs.
If it continues to stall, it may need the carbs cleaned or synced.
Also, since it's been setting check the airboxes for critters.
Pull the right side cover and look into the airbox with a flashlight.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

You may have low charging at idle. My 1500 was like that. Would sit at around 12.5v at idle but anything above idle it would shoot up to 14v and be fine.

Raising your idle like navigator says would fix that - but I would get a voltmeter on the battery and check that the bike is actually charging first up.

tarza
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 2005 S50 Boulevard

Post by tarza »

I had a problem too. Mine would run. But when I got on it a little . It would snort buck and tell me we ain'ta get there . The spark plugs were NGK and had 600 mi. on them . I did everything I could think of. Yep it was the plug - starboard side . That Evil BEARCAT gave me the evil eye. And yes I looked for corrosion in spark plug cable. It would be ok until I hit 4000 + rpm then it was hit or miss . RUN like a scalded dog 6 sec later -like a diseased turtle.