starter?

General questions not related to any bike specifically.
Every day questions, batteries, oil, spark plugs, etc. etc!
Think if it as the, Motorcycle Chit Chat Channel.
ardo
Studying MC Handbook

starter?

Post by ardo »

Hi all, I have a small dilema, with my 2000 intruder 1400, this is what happened, I parked outside in cold weather, I tried to start, I push the starter button, no noise at all, I thought might be the clutch safety switch, i sprayed some silicone lubricant nothing happened, I pulled it in the garage for overnight, this morning I turn the key on I push the starter button, the starter make very loud repetitive noise like grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, but the starter does not engage. this is where I need help to determine if I have a faulty starter or starter solenoid? I dont remember the solenoid making that loud noise before. thank you all in advance to help me.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: starter?

Post by navigator »

Clean and tighten your battery connections.

ardo
Studying MC Handbook

Post by ardo »

hi thank you for your response, I am embarrassed to post this thread, I use to brag, that I fix everything I own, lately, I have not done any mechanical repairs, being busy with any other issues, coming back to my bike, about an hour ago, I got to it and start going step by step, battery is was tight, fuses all good, this is where it is embarrassing; the grrrrrr noise I was hearing and thinking its the starter solenoid, it was the fuel pump, the reason it was making that noise, because I had the pet cock off, I was making the fuel pump starve, at the end I disconnected the safety switch by the clutch and by passed it, the bike started right away. This is where I am embarrassed to post something so simple to be figured out. I apologize, for taking your time with my stupid problem. Happy Easter everyone. :oops: :oops:

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

ardo wrote:hi thank you for your response, I am embarrassed to post this thread, I use to brag, that I fix everything I own, lately, I have not done any mechanical repairs, being busy with any other issues, coming back to my bike, about an hour ago, I got to it and start going step by step, battery is was tight, fuses all good, this is where it is embarrassing; the grrrrrr noise I was hearing and thinking its the starter solenoid, it was the fuel pump, the reason it was making that noise, because I had the pet cock off, I was making the fuel pump starve, at the end I disconnected the safety switch by the clutch and by passed it, the bike started right away. This is where I am embarrassed to post something so simple to be figured out. I apologize, for taking your time with my stupid problem. Happy Easter everyone. :oops: :oops:
Stuff happens. At least your bike is up again.

don't worry about the embarrassment, not a big deal.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Forge
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: 99 Valkyrie Interstate- 05 S83

Post by Forge »

Herb wrote:
ardo wrote:hi thank you for your response, I am embarrassed to post this thread, I use to brag, that I fix everything I own, lately, I have not done any mechanical repairs, being busy with any other issues, coming back to my bike, about an hour ago, I got to it and start going step by step, battery is was tight, fuses all good, this is where it is embarrassing; the grrrrrr noise I was hearing and thinking its the starter solenoid, it was the fuel pump, the reason it was making that noise, because I had the pet cock off, I was making the fuel pump starve, at the end I disconnected the safety switch by the clutch and by passed it, the bike started right away. This is where I am embarrassed to post something so simple to be figured out. I apologize, for taking your time with my stupid problem. Happy Easter everyone. :oops: :oops:

Yup, it happens to us all. I can’t tell you how many times I have forgotten to plug the igniter back in before bolting the seat back down... :bonk:
Arthritis sucks!

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Forge wrote:
Herb wrote:

Yup, it happens to us all. I can’t tell you how many times I have forgotten to plug the igniter back in before bolting the seat back down... :bonk:
forgot to hook the boost sensor back up after a carb sync. An open vacuum port makes for a REALLY lousy running bike.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

We all that do most our own work have it happen. Old age does not help IMO! A friend who is as good or better than me wanted me to look at his girl friends sportster at his place as was running bad and not starting good. I had owned two of them so he just wanted a idea before going deep in to it. Did a 360 around it and asked,"You take the front plug wire off?" 'No why?"he said. The front wire was hanging away from the jug and so easy to see. Put back on and it cranked right up and after a little black smoke sounded like new. He just did the old slap your self on the head and laughed. Wish they all went that good... :putput:

Forge
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: 99 Valkyrie Interstate- 05 S83

Post by Forge »

old time rider wrote:We all that do most our own work have it happen. Old age does not help IMO! A friend who is as good or better than me wanted me to look at his girl friends sportster at his place as was running bad and not starting good. I had owned two of them so he just wanted a idea before going deep in to it. Did a 360 around it and asked,"You take the front plug wire off?" 'No why?"he said. The front wire was hanging away from the jug and so easy to see. Put back on and it cranked right up and after a little black smoke sounded like new. He just did the old slap your self on the head and laughed. Wish they all went that good... :putput:
Oh, that’s a classic!
Arthritis sucks!