Hoses? '93/1400/Intruder

General questions not related to any bike specifically.
Every day questions, batteries, oil, spark plugs, etc. etc!
Think if it as the, Motorcycle Chit Chat Channel.
Spider
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1400 Intruder 1993

Hoses? '93/1400/Intruder

Post by Spider »

1. Directly under front carburetor is a nipple, I'd like to know if it is a vacuum, fuel, or vent hose? Where and what should it be connected to?

2. Behind the front air filter there is a hose (vacuum?) that is not attached to anything. Where should it go? (its length doesn't reach anything)

3. The hose coming from the front air box running down the frame (about 2' long) is capped (if it is a vent hose why is it capped?). What's up with that?

Thanks for your help.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Re: Hoses? '93/1400/Intruder

Post by Herb »

1. It is a vacuum port. On later models it connects to the Boost Sensor for better control of the ignition timing. On the older models, it is capped except for using it to balance the carbs.

2. that is a vent hose for the carb, it doesn't go anywhere.

3. this is a drain for the airbox. It isn't capped it has a piece of foam inside and the end is MOSTLY closed off so that it can drain the airbox of water and oil.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Spider
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1400 Intruder 1993

Post by Spider »

Thanks Herb,

Should the vent port have an actual cap (rubber) on it, or left bare as it is in the pic?

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Spider wrote:Thanks Herb,

Should the vent port have an actual cap (rubber) on it, or left bare as it is in the pic?
I checked mine today. The hose comes off of the carb vent and just goes up almost to the airbox and dead ends.

However, on the models with the charcoal canister, this hose goes down to a T fitting with the other carb and then down to the canister. There is another T fitting that that also brings the vent hose off of the gas tank into the circuit.

I pulled the canister a long time ago and put it back like my 87 was.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.