2006 VS800 gear clunk

General questions not related to any bike specifically.
Every day questions, batteries, oil, spark plugs, etc. etc!
Think if it as the, Motorcycle Chit Chat Channel.
thomastee
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 2006 VS800

2006 VS800 gear clunk

Post by thomastee »

I have only owned this bike for about a month or 2 but when putting it into 1st gear it makes this terrible clunking noise. It also seems to make a loud noise when shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear about half the time, especially at higher RPM's.

It has the hydraulic clutch so I found out it can't be adjusted like a cable clutch can because I thought that might be the problem. A buddy suggested it need a new clutch or even gears but it has less than 6000 miles on it.

Is anyone familiar with this problem and should I be worried about it or do all Suzuki s50's do this? I had a GZ250 years ago but it didn't sound like this when shifting gears.

Any help or ideas is appreciated.

Tom

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: 2006 VS800 gear clunk

Post by navigator »

Some clunking is normal. Loud or terrible clunking is subjective and hard to evaluate on a forum.
No adjustment on the clutch, but clean fluid and a bleeding will make things smooth. If it looks like tea, change it. It should be clear.
Clunky shifting also starts to show up when you need an oil change.

thomastee
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 2006 VS800

Post by thomastee »

Hey, thank you. That's good to know and I will try that first chance I get. I hope that's the solution I'm looking for and solves the problem. I'm hoping I don't have a major expense in my future. Other than the noise the bike runs perfectly except for the cold starts.
Thanks again!

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Fresh oil (and a different type) can help smooth things out. A lot of guys use Shell Rotella with good results (your results may vary...)

Also check you gear change linkage is lubed / smooth. They can get gummed up and hamper the shifting.

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!
My Bike: VS 1400. Royal Enfield

Post by Fred »

You might want to get your clutch working so the gears can change without straining them. The clutch is not adjustable --hydraulics are self adjusting. If you have air in the system it wont clear and changing gears will be clunky

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

As stated, old dirty engine oil causes a clunk, nasty old fluid causes a clunk. Bleed the system through with fresh fluid, new oil and filter. If this does not improve things a new set of Barnett clutch springs would be the next step. When starting from cold it is best to pull the clutch lever and gently rev the engine for a few seconds before engaging first gear.
[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

Baysideintruder
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 1992 VS 800

Post by Baysideintruder »

I am not sure if this will help but when I start my bike I turn up the idle to warm it up. When it idles so high it clunks into gear. This is my reminder to lower the idle back down. It still has some sound to the shifting that I think is normal but it greatly improves when I put the idle back down.
Just my experience. Good luck.

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!
My Bike: VS 1400. Royal Enfield

Post by Fred »

Baysideintruder wrote:I am not sure if this will help but when I start my bike I turn up the idle to warm it up. When it idles so high it clunks into gear. This is my reminder to lower the idle back down. It still has some sound to the shifting that I think is normal but it greatly improves when I put the idle back down.
Just my experience. Good luck.
The revs should be kept to a minimum when selecting gear. Motorcycle clutches do not clear fully because they use dog teeth and not a spline as with a car gearbox.