Not starting [SOLVED]

General questions not related to any bike specifically.
Every day questions, batteries, oil, spark plugs, etc. etc!
Think if it as the, Motorcycle Chit Chat Channel.
jrsaw27
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 96 Intruder 1400

Not starting [SOLVED]

Post by jrsaw27 »

I have had my 96 1400 for ALMOST a year. Ive learned a ton from this site, TONS of knowledge here.
I ride my 1400 as a daily commuter, went on a two week vacation and come home after Turkey day and it was having difficulty starting. I charged the battery and it seemed OK for a day or two. Then it stopped starting again. So i went ahead and replaced the battery, gave it a good charge and started for another couple days. then stopped. WTH?!

It seems to crank very well but just wont turn over.

Some research I found out about the decompression cable, I was able to start it by manually pressing on the front cam, but only a couple of times. Followed the service manual and other advice and adjusted the front and rear decompression cables, was only a little off. but still wont start.

I pulled the plugs, front is tan - looks perfect, rear is blackened - a little rich, once it gets running I know Ill have to adjust a little especially because of the cold season.

I plan on checking or replacing the plugs (one year old) by grounding the plug while connected and checking for spark. Then doing a compression check and maybe ignition coil test (not sure on that, saw it in the service manual but need to read it again). Then if no results I will be looking at the carbs for fuel flow and air filters for blockages. :Umm: Am I missing something incredibly simple?

I have gas, the selector is in the ON position, it cranks but wont fire. Ideas?

EDITED: Changed subject to Solved
-JRS
"Organization, although not always evident, is unique to one's own perspective."

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Re: Not starting

Post by WintrSol »

Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie

jrsaw27
Tricycles are Cool

Post by jrsaw27 »

1400's dont like the cold, at all?

It did drop to the 40s after Turkey day and several of the days it wouldnt start, I was standing in 25-35F weather. I dont want to accept it but its so well documented!

I will go ahead and change the plugs (why not!) and put the tank and seats back on and grab a can or magic starting fluid to see how my beast behaves. If it works I will be looking into making a custom holster in place of the saddle bags made just for a can or starting fluid. Ill post my findings, Thank you WintrSol, (appropriate name for suspected issue).
-JRS
"Organization, although not always evident, is unique to one's own perspective."

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Post by WintrSol »

If the carbs are synchronized properly, and you keep your hand from turning the throttle, it should start OK in the 40s on full 'choke'. Opening the throttle defeats the 'choke', which is actually a starting enrichment valve that feeds the idle mixture with a greater fuel/air mix.
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie

jrsaw27
Tricycles are Cool

Post by jrsaw27 »

WintrSol again thank you. Spray'd some starting fluid in the front intake (through the fork lock hole) and it back fired, did it again it started and died...forgot the choke. applied choke now my baby is purring again. Thank you! :bow: You helped me out of a lot of frustration that would have taken till spring to fix!

Also i did carb sync about 8 months ago. I did double check the cables when I was poking around.

About the throttle during starting: absolutely, Ive noticed it will flood every time.

SOLVED: COLD WEATHER. APPLY STARTING FLUID BY INTAKE AS NEEDED.
-JRS