stalls at stop signs

General questions not related to any bike specifically.
Every day questions, batteries, oil, spark plugs, etc. etc!
Think if it as the, Motorcycle Chit Chat Channel.
ardo
Studying MC Handbook

stalls at stop signs

Post by ardo »

Hi all, does anyone know what would be the reason, for the bike to stall at red light stops or slowing down to stop? I did bring the idle up a bit I know it is revving fine, I appreciate any help to make this issue disappear, today I added some SeaFoam, I dont know if it will help. I charged the battery in case it was the battery. I like to hear from the group if anyone have had this problem and resolved it. By the way the bike is 2000 intruder 1400.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Re: stalls at stop signs

Post by Herb »

low idle speed or idle air jet set too rich are the only 2 things that have caused it with my 87 and 99.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

ardo
Studying MC Handbook

Post by ardo »

Hi Thank you for your response, I was thinking about that my self as I was driving, you are talking about the A/F mixture screw right? so should I turn it clockwise or counterclockwise ?.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

[youtube][/youtube]

[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Good video. Just for basic information, the 1400 has a fuel screw, turn it in, to lean it out.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!
My Bike: VS 1400. Royal Enfield

Post by Fred »

The Mikuni BS 36 on the Intruder is a CV carb, its similarity with the one in the VDO is that they are carburettors, there the similarity ends.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Fred wrote:The Mikuni BS 36 on the Intruder is a CV carb, its similarity with the one in the VDO is that they are carburettors, there the similarity ends.
But idle adjustment works the same and the basic adjustment is the same.

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!

Post by Fred »

No it most certainly is not. On the slide carb as shown you raise the slide to let more air in to increase idle . On the Mikuni 36 you open the butterfly.

The Mikuni 36 has air and fuel already mixed, the needle just lets more of it in.

Chalk and cheese.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Fred wrote:No it most certainly is not. On the slide carb as shown you raise the slide to let more air in to increase idle . On the Mikuni 36 you open the butterfly.

The Mikuni 36 has air and fuel already mixed, the needle just lets more of it in.

Chalk and cheese.
No it is not. Be it a slide control carb, a butterfly carb or a CV carb, the principal of idle adjustment is the same.

The idle mixture needle either lets more air into the fuel or more fuel into the air, depending on what type of carb is being used. If the mixture screw is on the inlet side of the carb it controls air, if it is on the engine side it controls fuel.

The needle on the 1400 lets more fuel into the mix, that is why backing it out richens the mix, if it were letting more air in, like the video bike, you would turn the needle in to richen the mix.

Pretty damn simple.

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!

Post by Fred »

Herb wrote:
Fred wrote:No it most certainly is not. On the slide carb as shown you raise the slide to let more air in to increase idle . On the Mikuni 36 you open the butterfly.

Chalk and cheese.
No it is not. Be it a slide control carb, a butterfly carb or a CV carb, the principal of idle adjustment is the same.

The idle mixture needle either lets more air into the fuel or more fuel into the air, depending on what type of carb is being used. If the mixture screw is on the inlet side of the carb it controls air, if it is on the engine side it controls fuel.

The needle on the 1400 lets more fuel into the mix, that is why backing it out richens the mix, if it were letting more air in, like the video bike, you would turn the needle in to richen the mix.

Pretty damn simple.
A butterfly carb is a CV carb in this Mikuni BD36. Air and fuel is already mixed in a BD 36 It has 2 air jets and it mixes in a huge tube above the venturi, I give up becaue I dont care. :bonk:

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Fred wrote:
Herb wrote:

Chalk and cheese.

Pretty damn simple.
A butterfly carb is a CV carb in this Mikuni BD36. Air and fuel is already mixed in a BD 36 It has 2 air jets and it mixes in a huge tube above the venturi, I give up becaue I dont care. :bonk:
You are wrong again. Not even real sure what you are talking about the fuel air mixing in a huge tube, unless you are talking about the main jet that is controlled by the slide/main needle jet.

The idle circuit is a completely separate circuit and damn sure is not a 'huge tube". The idle circuit fuel comes in on the engine side of the butterfly.

While the carb uses a butterfly, it is classed as a cv slide carb. A butterfly carb is what was used on cars until the advent of FI. Butterfly carbs are still used on small engines.

The butterfly is only a primary fuel/air control, mostly air, the slide that is controlled by engine vacuum is the main control.

On the 1400 carbs the needle jet controls how much fuel is allowed into the idle air stream.

Your incorrect information is confusing to those with limited experience with carbs and it is not a good idea to make these things anymore confusing than they already are.

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!

Post by Fred »

Well carbs are confusing and giving you problems understanding too.Take one apart Herb then we might be able to talk. I dont mean take the diaphragm out I mean drill out the welsh plugs and clean the emulsion tube running on top of the venturi --you can see the welsh plugs to drill out. That is where fuel and air is mixed for the transition jets. It also feeds the idle adjustment with ALREADY MIXED FUEL/AIR.

You can then drill out each and every circuit for meticulous cleaning. They have not yet invented a drill that goes round corners so you can trace it through with wire or a small flash light and learn each circuit, then you will be half way to knowing as much as me. You will then find out where 2 air jets and idle jet fuel meet up.

You may not know what the transition jets are, you probably dont but they are also in the emulsion tube above the venturi feeding the engine with fuel from idle as the butterfly slowly reveals more of them, yes there are more than one. You will see them with your little flash light if you shine it down the idle emulsion tube.

Thats why Harelys have an eccelerator pump, they dont have transition jets.--- Never heard of it ? Thats because YOU DONT KNOW JACK .

All this goes on in that tube above the Venturi that you don't know about.

a BS 36 is not a slide carb and is nothing like it,---

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Fred wrote:Well carbs are confusing and giving you problems understanding too.Take one apart Herb then we might be able to talk. I dont mean take the diaphragm out I mean drill out the welsh plugs and clean the emulsion tube running on top of the venturi --you can see the welsh plugs to drill out. That is where fuel and air is mixed for the transition jets. It also feeds the idle adjustment with ALREADY MIXED FUEL/AIR.

You can then drill out each and every circuit for meticulous cleaning. They have not yet invented a drill that goes round corners so you can trace it through with wire or a small flash light and learn each circuit, then you will be half way to knowing as much as me. You will then find out where 2 air jets and idle jet fuel meet up.

You may not know what the transition jets are, you probably dont but they are also in the emulsion tube above the venturi feeding the engine with fuel from idle as the butterfly slowly reveals more of them, yes there are more than one. You will see them with your little flash light if you shine it down the idle emulsion tube.

Thats why Harelys have an eccelerator pump, they dont have transition jets.--- Never heard of it ? Thats because YOU DONT KNOW JACK .

All this goes on in that tube above the Venturi that you don't know about.

a BS 36 is not a slide carb and is nothing like it,---
This thread is about setting the fucking idle jets, which you have shown that you know nothing about and just make it difficult for someone with limited experience.

Fuck the hell off diplshit.

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!

Post by Fred »

Thanks for your gratitude , its not my fault you know fuck all . Im trying to help you. You will never set up a BS thinking it is simple slide. A common rooky mistake.

For everyone else that has sat through this painful episode of ignorance.

http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/showt ... -different

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Fred wrote:Thanks for your gratitude , its not my fault you know fuck all . Im trying to help you. You will never set up a BS thinking it is simple slide. A common rooky mistake.

For everyone else that has sat through this painful episode of ignorance.

http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/showt ... -different
Exactly what I said about adjusting the idle mixture, same as the video said.