Scooter electric problem

General questions not related to any bike specifically.
Every day questions, batteries, oil, spark plugs, etc. etc!
Think if it as the, Motorcycle Chit Chat Channel.
sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Scooter electric problem

Post by sgtcall »

Hello all
Ok this is an odd question for this fourm but I need to ask. I am visiting my brother in law in Germany and we were working on his Scooter. Some little 125cc odd brand thing. Anyway we got the turn signals working but the head light and tail light do not work. He thinks it may be the regulator rectifier but I just don't think this could be it since the other lights work. Also it seems there is not a fuse box and only one main fuse. We we novice at best with electrical but have a meter and are working through connections as we go.
So basically the question is why would the signals work but not the head light and tail light? By the way the break light works fine. Any ideas greatly appreciated?

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Re: Scooter electric problem

Post by sgtcall »

Also the bulbs in the head light and tail light are good.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Hard to say without know the make , model, etc but I would guess if it's a scooter made this century it would have more than one fuse.

Either that or a connector block is disconnected somewhere.

The annoying thing about working on scooters is you have to pull 1000 acres of plastic off them to get to anything......

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Post by WintrSol »

Or, a little scooter could power the headlamp with an AC source directly; this used to be common with small motorcycles, so it wouldn't surprise me. Need a schematic to know for certain.
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

On the older bikes/scooters there was an on/off switch for the head/tail lights. First thing is to check for a bad switch or wiring to it. The color code at the switch should be the same all through the bike.

I bought a 125 suzuki dirt bike that had a bad on/off switch.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I think the scooter is made by Znen (????) and the model is ZN125T-E. I can't find a data plate with a model year but it is fairly new my brother in law thinks it is a 2009. Once it is fixed and ready for inspection for tags he will rin the VIN to find out everything. I have been looking for a wireing diagram but no luck.

All the wireing at the front of the scooter seems to be good. Could it be the something near the tail light grounding out would cause both the head light and tail light to go out? This thing had no lights when we started but we found a few loose and dirty connections that fixed most of it. At this point I think we have unplugged and re-plugged everything on this thing.

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club

Post by WintrSol »

Herb wrote:On the older bikes/scooters there was an on/off switch for the head/tail lights. First thing is to check for a bad switch or wiring to it. The color code at the switch should be the same all through the bike.

I bought a 125 suzuki dirt bike that had a bad on/off switch.
On some, this was done with a 3-position key switch: off - run - run with lights. Does this scooter have this type switch?
Florissant, MO

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

It has a two position switch.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

sgtcall wrote:Thanks everyone for your replies.

I think the scooter is made by Znen (????) and the model is ZN125T-E. I can't find a data plate with a model year but it is fairly new my brother in law thinks it is a 2009. Once it is fixed and ready for inspection for tags he will rin the VIN to find out everything. I have been looking for a wireing diagram but no luck.

All the wireing at the front of the scooter seems to be good. Could it be the something near the tail light grounding out would cause both the head light and tail light to go out? This thing had no lights when we started but we found a few loose and dirty connections that fixed most of it. At this point I think we have unplugged and re-plugged everything on this thing.
The only way you can find the problem, without a wiring diagram, is to trace the wire back from either the headlight or taillight to find out where it goes. Keep following it until you find where it originates from. When it is in wiring looms it SHOULD come out with the same wire color.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

Herb
Thank you. That is pretty much what we are trying to do the biggest issue is getting all of the plastic off to trace the wire back. The odd thing is we have power at the conector near the headlight but the head light and tail light still do not work. Also we are still trying to find more fuses.

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club

Post by WintrSol »

sgtcall wrote:Herb
Thank you. That is pretty much what we are trying to do the biggest issue is getting all of the plastic off to trace the wire back. The odd thing is we have power at the conector near the headlight but the head light and tail light still do not work. Also we are still trying to find more fuses.
Do you have a solid ground on the connector near the headlamp, too?
Florissant, MO

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

WintrSol wrote:
sgtcall wrote:Herb
Do you have a solid ground on the connector near the headlamp, too?
Not trying to be a jackass, but are you sure the bulbs are good? What about the bulb sockets/connectors? I have t-shot light issues only to find out that the sockets were bad.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

Ok so strange thing happened today. We left it alone for two days and then when we started on it again everything worked. GREMLINS!!!

Thanks everyone

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

sgtcall wrote:Ok so strange thing happened today. We left it alone for two days and then when we started on it again everything worked. GREMLINS!!!

Thanks everyone
Man, I hate electrical gremlins. The damn things always seem to come back and do it again, at the worst possible time.

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!
My Bike: VS 1400. Royal Enfield

Post by Fred »

sgtcall"]Also the bulbs in the head light and tail light are good.[/quote]
Herb wrote:[quote=[quote=
Not trying to be a jackass, but are you sure the bulbs are good? .

:lmao:

Yes herb the bulbs are good.