Question for your passenger

General questions not related to any bike specifically.
Every day questions, batteries, oil, spark plugs, etc. etc!
Think if it as the, Motorcycle Chit Chat Channel.
76sjb
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 2004 vs1400

Question for your passenger

Post by 76sjb »

G'day, I have a question for the back seat rider. Looking for suggestions to make it more comfy for my girlfriend. Her butt and lower back bother her on longer rides, even worse if we ride on the highway. I have a stock seat and back rest on my 1400. The passenger seat is extremely firm compared to the driver's, I don't think it has seen much use, it has softened up a bit. Another user on here has a larger back rest pad for sale I was considering it or a higher one. I have been looking into replacing the seat or having it shaved and a gel or softer foam inserted. If anyone has any info or personal experience to add I would greatly appreciate it.
04 intruder vs1400

Take the time to smell the daisies, you never know when you'll start pushing them up

franktiregod
Joined a 900cc Club
My Bike: SUZUKI

Re: Question for your passenger

Post by franktiregod »

The 1400 just is not comfortable for a passenger. Not much you can do that will help greatly. That is why I switched to my first 1500. A wider seat for my wife.

Then I realized it rode much better without the wife so I got rid of that too. [emoji2]

Seriously though she loved the 1500 seat along with the floorboards and extensions I added. As for the 1400, it was a great one up bike but for two it wasnt the one.

76sjb
Tricycles are Cool

Post by 76sjb »

franktiregod wrote:The 1400 just is not comfortable for a passenger. Not much you can do that will help greatly. That is why I switched to my first 1500. A wider seat for my wife.

Then I realized it rode much better without the wife so I got rid of that too. [emoji2]

Seriously though she loved the 1500 seat along with the floorboards and extensions I added. As for the 1400, it was a great one up bike but for two it wasnt the one.

Lol When I was with my wife I had hard tail bobbers and dual purpose bikes. Never really cared if she would ride. I want the girlfriend to ride with me. Trying to make it as comfortable as possible.

The floorboards and extensions might help As well, to get her in the best seating position. Just don't want to go wasting money if it doesn't help. Money is tight child support and alimony take a big cut
04 intruder vs1400

Take the time to smell the daisies, you never know when you'll start pushing them up

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

While the seat is hard, the worst of it is the back rest. It leans back so far that the passenger is sitting with their tailbone on the back rest. My wife hated it. I removed the stock back rest and installed a luggage rack with an adjustable backrest that is straighter up and down with an opening at the bottom so she isn't sitting on the backrest. Made a HUGE difference in her comfort.

The stock backrest is too short, leans back too much and is very uncomfortable... Throw it away and get a backrest that is higher and more straight up and down.

My system is from a late 70s aftermarket, gives me a real luggage rack, instead of the normal postage stamp thing that is useless as tits on a boar, and the backrest is adjustable so that when I am riding solo I can move it up for my use.

I had to make my own brackets for the system I am using, but it works really well, for both of us.

Also, I put a extra set of pegs on that allows her to stretch out her legs so that her knees are not higher than her waist, this also keeps her from sitting on her tailbone.

I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

76sjb
Tricycles are Cool

Post by 76sjb »

Ordered off set pegs, should have them this week. I've been talking to a local upholster. Thinking about a shave and some gel and memory foam for seat. He thinks he can redo the back rest pad for a better angle and support. I realize it will never be great, just trying to make it tolerable for her.
04 intruder vs1400