Night riding

General questions not related to any bike specifically.
Every day questions, batteries, oil, spark plugs, etc. etc!
Think if it as the, Motorcycle Chit Chat Channel.
Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Night riding

Post by Tbeck »

I still do a fair bit of night riding even though my eyes are going. So I really like being able to maximize the vision path without blinding other motorists.
The kawi came with standard H4's installed but like most bike headlights, toss a rather yellowed beam.
I found some Phillips H4 bulb's called their "WhiteVision" for $22 per pair. They even came with the two small marker/parking lights that sit below the headlight's.
I thought I would pass this on because I am extremely pleased with the white beam, improvement in visibility, and cost. See and be seen.
They do this series of bulb in a variety of sizes.

JFL Live
Joined a 950cc Club

Re: Night riding

Post by JFL Live »

I used that bulb in my Ultra Classic and I agree, big improvement over the stock bulb. There was a down side though, they have a significant shorter life than the standard bulb. So I always carried a spare on road trips.
_I"T"|[___|___]
[---T--L -OlllllllO-]
()_)"""()_)/"**")_)

You will ride eternal, shiny and chrome...

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: Road King

Post by RoadKing »

The deer in Upstate come out at dusk like an infestation of giant antlered rats. Not much riding gets done here after dark.
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury…
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

RK, yep we have them as well. I don't worry about them, and they don't appear to like my bikes which is fine by me.

JFL I got in the habit of carrying a spare when I got the beemer. The only thing they like more than oil is headlight bulbs, Lol

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road
My Bike: Kugelblitz-Kriegshammer 2200

Post by jeffcoslacker »

H4 COB LED, 6000K light temp, less than $30/pair. I can hook you up [emoji2]

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

What you've got there is what I had in my Sporty...they aren't bad, 4300K and 60w which is not white by comparison but still very much improved from the yellow of standard bulbs (halogen filament-type around 3000K, ick)...5500-6500K is natural daylight. They do actually produce yellow-ish light, but have a blue coating that "eats" much of the yellow wavelengths...so you're left with a fairly white light with a tinge of blue to it...I liked them! People I rode with didn't...they said it was too bright and too unusual, kept grabbing their attention unnecessarily...but I think they were just a bunch of old farts that liked something to complain about and weren't used to that light color yet... [emoji2] ...I know a lot of people that would bitch and flash high beams at people with the early xenon and HID lights even though they were aimed correctly and perfectly within DOT spec for output...it was DIFFERENT, dammit...and we don't like change. Harumph. :lolfall:

So anyway, that's how I got moved up to the front on rides. :rock:

JFL Live
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by JFL Live »

Tbeck wrote:RK, yep we have them as well. I don't worry about them, and they don't appear to like my bikes which is fine by me.

JFL I got in the habit of carrying a spare when I got the beemer. The only thing they like more than oil is headlight bulbs, Lol

I have them in my H3 as well. The smaller bulbs turn signals etc, I've been replacing with LEDs.
_I"T"|[___|___]
[---T--L -OlllllllO-]
()_)"""()_)/"**")_)

You will ride eternal, shiny and chrome...

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

Jeffco, there is a fella out of Oklahoma I believe that makes and sells the original version of those style LED's. He warrants them for 3 years and they are super white light. Ran them in my ultra.

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

Tbeck wrote:Jeffco, there is a fella out of Oklahoma I believe that makes and sells the original version of those style LED's. He warrants them for 3 years and they are super white light. Ran them in my ultra.
Yeah you were saying when I brought it up before. They were pretty expensive, no? Were they CAN/BUS compliant?

n-trude
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: Honda GW Trike

Post by n-trude »

I have done some overnight riding in Mo. and Ill but I like to
call it looking for bambi. :lmao: