How does the 1400 stack up...

General questions not related to any bike specifically.
Every day questions, batteries, oil, spark plugs, etc. etc!
Think if it as the, Motorcycle Chit Chat Channel.
Spacecoast
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: Yamaha FZ-09 Suzuki S83

How does the 1400 stack up...

Post by Spacecoast »

To the more modern M90 and M109 bikes? With the M90 being almost 200 pounds heaver, is that bike slower than our 1400's? Can anyone provide a comparison from the 1400/S83 to either of these bikes?

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Re: How does the 1400 stack up...

Post by old time rider »

Dealer had a nice 109 second year I think that was only one with any trouble.It was getting away with oil.They gave the new bike owner back his money and put new rings in it.It was winter and mid 30s but dealer friend wanted 300 miles put on it before selling again.I was only one riding every day in winter so I took him up on it.With my best winter gear and gas and lunch money from him set out.I hated the big ass rear tire that made every imperfection in the road seem twice as bad.At a coffee break bike owners not riding gathered around it telling me how good it looked and, "Do you know how cold it is!" :bonk:
It did look good blue with a wide white stripe down the middle and over the front small faring.At a gas stop it got more with same guestions and raves about the looks and rear tire.Dark clouds coming and may be on snow so took it in early with around 230 miles.Went back next day and got the over 300 wanted.At no stops did it need oil and same mark second day it went back.It was way faster than my 1400 and any I ever rode.I even got to not mind the big rear tire by the time the first days ride was over.Really I would rather have my 1400 if it had had cast wheels.A good mid size sport four will do in about all v-twin :putput: cruisers.

Spacecoast
Passed the Circle Test

Post by Spacecoast »

Sounds like you liked the 109 the more you rode it.

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

Yes but not enough to buy one.I like way too many bikes and have way too many now. :bonk: Thats the only one I saw that did the oil thing and the local guy that got it never had troubles the five years he had it.Rode a M90 all so but just a trade rides awhile deal.Do not remember much about it so it must have felt ok. Put 45,000 on my 1400 and but for the piss poor below 35 starting a real good tough bike. :putput:

Spacecoast
Passed the Circle Test

Post by Spacecoast »

thanks...I keep wondering how and where the extra 200 lbs of weight gain is on these new bikes (I say new but the M109 came out 10 years ago). Guess everything is just bigger.

pmhearns12
Learning My Moped
My Bike: Suzuki s83

Post by pmhearns12 »

I rememeber when i had my chace to ride one and i really liked the seating position and knowing its an 1800cc with all that torque. But after i put my pipes on my bike, which i hadnt been able to ride becsuse my so laid it down...and even though, it didnt run right. I still liked the its nimble behavior and its good load of torque for its stature. I like to get aggressive and see if i can keep it above 45 on river road(especially rockledge side)... idk if i would be able to do the same on the 109.

Spacecoast
Passed the Circle Test

Post by Spacecoast »

I think you are talking about "Rockledge Drive 515"...I haven't been on that south side (south of 520) for a long time. I was on the north side (Indian River Drive 515) but too many cyclists and speed bumps to have any fun. Next time I'm that way I'll see how the south Rockledge side is. Still would interested is anyone has any experience on the M90 and how it compares.

dwd58
Riding on Learners Permit
My Bike: 2005 s83

Post by dwd58 »

A friend I ride with has the 109. To me it is a cross between a pocket rocket and a cruiser. Not that comfy to ride, but very fast and a lot of torque. He had it dyno tested last weekend and it tested out at 103 HP . I cant keep up with him on it, but if I wanted to be that fast, I would just go ahead and buy a pocket rocket. I will stick with my S83. I like the looks and the comfort of a cruiser.

Spacecoast
Passed the Circle Test

Post by Spacecoast »

I've never associated the word "comfort" with the 1400 Intruder/S83, but I know that's also a subjective issue. Nonetheless, I've watched several M109 and M90 videos, and neither bike seems to be significantly faster than our 1400; but admittedly I can't find a head-to-head comparison either. I'm attracted to the M109/M90 only from the standpoint of more modern style, FI, and overall refinement, but I don't think I'm missing anything in terms of overall cruiser torque. I definitely want to test ride both bikes when I can. When you say that you can't keep up with your friend, is that in reference to outright acceleration, handling, top speed, etc?

Prodigal_Sun
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: 03 FXDWG

Post by Prodigal_Sun »

They're purdy, but a bit ... dramatic? for me. I like the simplicity of the S83, I can hop on it in November and cruise a half mile to the store. You get into fuel injection in that weather and every ride becomes a "big deal"
:evil: [emoji56]

I have a lot of opinions, some of them professional, some of them educated, most of them I just pulled out of my @$$

Some of my best stupidity is largely self-inflicted. :roll:

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

I know that I am in the minority, but both the M90 and M109 are, to me, fugly bikes with a stupid seating position. They are not sport bikes or cruisers, and the little I have had to do with them, they are the worst of both worlds, just fucking ugly and WAY fatter than they need to be. 2 great big pipes on one side makes them look lopsided, especially from the rear. I would hate to always be rearend charlie because I wouldn't want anyone behind me.

right now I can't find a bike that I think looks half as good as the 1400.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Spacecoast
Passed the Circle Test

Post by Spacecoast »

Thanks Herb...now you did it, I don't think I want one anymore. LOL Actually I do like the more "modern" look, but they are big and heavy bikes.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

That big 'ol fat tire from the back of the M109 sure would look good between a set of 1400 exhaust though. [emoji2]

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

navigator wrote:That big 'ol fat tire from the back of the M109 sure would look good between a set of 1400 exhaust though. [emoji2]
Can't disagree with that point.

I don't mean to denigrate others choices, but I really don't like the look of the bikes Suzuki is putting out. If they want to run a single side exhaust, run a single muffler. Those huge stacked duals are fugly.

About the only bike, besides a dresser, that I would consider is the Sportster, but I hate the staggered duals, makes the bike look goofy from the back and from the left side.

Ever notice that almost no ads or pics show the view from the rear or left side?
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

dwd58
Riding on Learners Permit
My Bike: 2005 s83

Post by dwd58 »

Spacecoast wrote:I've never associated the word "comfort" with the 1400 Intruder/S83, but I know that's also a subjective issue. Nonetheless, I've watched several M109 and M90 videos, and neither bike seems to be significantly faster than our 1400; but admittedly I can't find a head-to-head comparison either. I'm attracted to the M109/M90 only from the standpoint of more modern style, FI, and overall refinement, but I don't think I'm missing anything in terms of overall cruiser torque. I definitely want to test ride both bikes when I can. When you say that you can't keep up with your friend, is that in reference to outright acceleration, handling, top speed, etc?
Speed, Handling and acceleration, you name it and it will out do the 1400. I am not a fan, but facts are facts. But I wouldn't trade my 1400 for 2 of the M109s. The 1400 is a very nice fit bike and very comfy for me.