shocks

General questions not related to any bike specifically.
Every day questions, batteries, oil, spark plugs, etc. etc!
Think if it as the, Motorcycle Chit Chat Channel.
sodapop83
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1992 suzuki intruder 800

shocks

Post by sodapop83 »

so just got a 92 intruder 800 bought cheap cause im a poor bastard. just took it out today for my first lil ride and it was kinda rough . looked at rear shocks online j and p doesnt have anything less than about 250 and got hits for ones off ebay for about 130 dont know if i trust ones of ebay . question is can my exsisting ones be redone? can the ebay ones be trusted? any help much appricated.

Blaine
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: 05 S83 07 M50

Re: shocks

Post by Blaine »

I have these on my 1400 & on several other bikes.....Good shocks for the money.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Emgo-Black-Chrom ... IS&vxp=mtr

If at first you succeed,don't be surprised.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

I got a pair of air shocks from ebay. 12.5" eye to eye. Done around 1500 miles on Thai roads no problems as of yet. They are rated to 300 kg so, just on the limit but the ride is good.

Measure your mounting points, if I remember correctly you will need 3 bushes at 12 mm and 1 lower at 10 mm but check for yourself.

[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

Blaine
Passed the Circle Test

Post by Blaine »

sodapop83 wrote:so just got a 92 intruder 800 bought cheap cause im a poor bastard. just took it out today for my first lil ride and it was kinda rough . looked at rear shocks online j and p doesnt have anything less than about 250 and got hits for ones off ebay for about 130 dont know if i trust ones of ebay . question is can my exsisting ones be redone? can the ebay ones be trusted? any help much appricated.
Did you check what notch they are at........May just need to bee adjusted up. :)

sodapop83
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1992 suzuki intruder 800

Post by sodapop83 »

the shocks look in need . the plastic im assuming seals on the upper end are weathered and cracked

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by Lechy »

I think you are referring to the rubber cushion blocks.
Like Blaine suggested, check the camlocks are on the lowest setting for a softer ride. Also, do not over inflate the tires try 10 psi below manufacturers max and increase until you are happy.

[emoji41]

vanhalenarmy
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 2002 Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by vanhalenarmy »

Blaine wrote:I have these on my 1400 & on several other bikes.....Good shocks for the money.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Emgo-Black-Chrom ... IS&vxp=mtr

Hey Blaine, which shock length did you go with exactly to get it lowered to the amount in your picture? I'd like to get a set of these Emgo's, just not sure on which length to go with...
If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
- Samuel Adams

Blaine
Passed the Circle Test

Post by Blaine »

I have 11.5" :)

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by Lechy »

I used to run 10.5" on my 750, handled like crap. I put on the 12.5" air shocks, night and day difference.

[emoji41]

jfaith15
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 2003 Suzuki Intruder VS800

Post by jfaith15 »

Blaine wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:41 am
Would yours work for a 2003 VS800? And if so, where’d you get yours? I’m real short (5’1”) and only the balls of my feet and toes can touch the ground. I was told replacing the stock 12.5” shocks with 11” ones would get me flat-footed. Do you think that would work?
I put my faith in Youtube and strangers on the internet to solve my problems.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

jfaith15 wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:15 pm
Blaine wrote:
Would yours work for a 2003 VS800? And if so, where’d you get yours? I’m real short (5’1”) and only the balls of my feet and toes can touch the ground. I was told replacing the stock 12.5” shocks with 11” ones would get me flat-footed. Do you think that would work?
Fitting the shorter shocks shouldn't be an issue. You could also recover the seat and shave down the foam padding to give you a better seat height.
These covers are well made and easy to install yourself. VS700 VS750 VS800 INTRUDER 2 Piece 1988-2005 Motorcycle Seat Cover You just need a good staple gun with 1/4 inch staples and a hair dryer. The foam can be shaved down and shaped with a razor knife.

jfaith15
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 2003 Suzuki Intruder VS800

Post by jfaith15 »

sgtcall wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:07 pm
jfaith15 wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:15 pm
Blaine wrote:
Fitting the shorter shocks shouldn't be an issue. You could also recover the seat and shave down the foam padding to give you a better seat height.
These covers are well made and easy to install yourself. VS700 VS750 VS800 INTRUDER 2 Piece 1988-2005 Motorcycle Seat Cover You just need a good staple gun with 1/4 inch staples and a hair dryer. The foam can be shaved down and shaped with a razor knife.
Thank you for the link and the quick response! Changing the length of the shocks was my first idea for a fix because it seems like it requires less skill and has a smaller margin for error. However, if I can’t find shorter shocks that fit, then I’ll try altering the seat using that cover.
I put my faith in Youtube and strangers on the internet to solve my problems.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

I found that using an electric carving knife works really well for carving/shaping foam. If you don't have an electric knife the razor knife does a good job.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

jfaith15 wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:23 pm

Thank you for the link and the quick response! Changing the length of the shocks was my first idea for a fix because it seems like it requires less skill and has a smaller margin for error. However, if I can’t find shorter shocks that fit, then I’ll try altering the seat using that cover.
Just take your time shaving the seat down and if you make a mistake you can always add new foam. If you warm the razor with the hair dryer it will cut easire. You also use the hair dryer to stretch the seat cover out and get a better fit. Herbs idea would probably work better than the razor knife.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

sgtcall wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:05 pm
jfaith15 wrote:

Just take your time shaving the seat down and if you make a mistake you can always add new foam. If you warm the razor with the hair dryer it will cut easire. You also use the hair dryer to stretch the seat cover out and get a better fit. Herbs idea would probably work better than the razor knife.
I think it works better but it isn't worth buying one unless you are going to be doing a lot of that kind of thing. I did a couple of seats with the razor knife before a friend gave me an electric knife. (I am a cheap a$$hole)...\

I like your idea of using the hair dryer to cut it. I never thought of that, although I did use one to stretch the fabric.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

Herb wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:10 pm
sgtcall wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:05 pm
jfaith15 wrote:

I think it works better but it isn't worth buying one unless you are going to be doing a lot of that kind of thing. I did a couple of seats with the razor knife before a friend gave me an electric knife. (I am a cheap a$$hole)...\

I like your idea of using the hair dryer to cut it. I never thought of that, although I did use one to stretch the fabric.
Electric knifes are always a good investment, Thanksgiving is right around the corner.