refurbish wheels? A bitch fest

General questions not related to any bike specifically.
Every day questions, batteries, oil, spark plugs, etc. etc!
Think if it as the, Motorcycle Chit Chat Channel.
old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Re: refurbish wheels ?

Post by old time rider »

:funnylast: Herb the older I become the less I wash a motorcycle. Went to the cruise in again last night and a friend told me."Don't know who has the cleanest bike but you win again for most dirt !If you are on a on/off bike it just don't look right clean! :cheers:

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!
My Bike: VS 1400. Royal Enfield

Post by Fred »

old time rider wrote::funnylast: Herb the older I become the less I wash a motorcycle. Went to the cruise in again last night and a friend told me."Don't know who has the cleanest bike but you win again for most dirt !If you are on a on/off bike it just don't look right clean! :cheers:
Ha ha you wont be able to beat Herb on dirty bikes, his bike looks like its been kept under and old carpet in the garden for 20 years, looks like shit and probably is. He proudly posted some pics once,--- my god.

Im not sure of the physiological implications of a dirty bike being indicative of personal hygiene. Probably does but I don't want to think about it.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

old time rider wrote::funnylast: Herb the older I become the less I wash a motorcycle. Went to the cruise in again last night and a friend told me."Don't know who has the cleanest bike but you win again for most dirt !If you are on a on/off bike it just don't look right clean! :cheers:
If I have time to wash/wax a bike, I have time to ride.

Bikes were made to be rode. Mine gets rode, a lot, to the tune of somewhere in the vicinity of 250,000 miles, on this bike. Not only that it has been totalled once, then, a few years later, my wife ran over it with the utility trailer. Fixed most of the damage on it both times.

Oh, yeah, freddie, those pics were taken right after a 1500 mile trip, and was rained on twice. I had gone to visit a friend that was dying, he passed away the day I came home. Really didn't give a damn about the appearance of the bike.

So freddie :fubird:
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!

Post by Fred »

Herb wrote:

Bikes were made to be rode. Mine gets rode, a lot, to the tune of somewhere in the vicinity of 250,000 miles, on this bike. Not only that it has been totalled once, then, a few years later, my wife ran over it with the utility trailer. Fixed most of the damage on it both times.

Oh, yeah, freddie, those pics were taken right after a 1500 mile trip, and was rained on twice. I had gone to visit a friend that was dying, he passed away the day I came home. Really didn't give a damn about the appearance of the bike.

Was'nt just a bit of road grime herb it was the hose clamps holding the foot pegs to the frame that got my attention. I have this re occurring night mare of my feet hitting the ground and my face getting my chin ripped off on the grit of the tarmac, dunno where this dream could have come from.

Dread to think what a full picture would reveal.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Fred wrote:
Herb wrote:

Was'nt just a bit of road grime herb it was the hose clamps holding the foot pegs to the frame that got my attention. I have this re occurring night mare of my feet hitting the ground and my face getting my chin ripped off on the grit of the tarmac, dunno where this dream could have come from.

What you don't realize is that there are 2 clamps on each side. I have put over 350,000 miles on my 2 intruders with that setup, NEVER had an issue. There are 2 short pieces of square stock bolted to the bar and they are clamped to the frame. Sorry about your personal issues, but they have no foundation in reality.

The other thing is, back when windjammer, and then others, started making aftermarket fairings, they used hose clamps to hold the mounting brackets to the frame. Never heard of a failure of them either.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!

Post by Fred »

Herb wrote:
Fred wrote:
Herb wrote:

What you don't realize is that there are 2 clamps on each side. I have put over 350,000 miles on my 2 intruders with that setup, NEVER had an issue. There are 2 short pieces of square stock bolted to the bar and they are clamped to the frame. Sorry about your personal issues, but they have no foundation in reality.

The other thing is, back when windjammer, and then others, started making aftermarket fairings, they used hose clamps to hold the mounting brackets to the frame. Never heard of a failure of them either.
Still don't get it do ya-- Hose clamps herb are for hoses. For a man that professes to be a master mechanic hose clamps holding foot pegs is as low as you can get. I mean are you happy with how that looks?

Blaine
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: 05 S83 07 M50

Post by Blaine »

I ride lots......15000 to 20000 a year (in 6 months)........But I'm anal on how my ride looks.

If at first you succeed,don't be surprised.

old time rider
Back on the Road

Post by old time rider »

Blaine I still use my motorcycles like most use a car/truck.At all most 71 still put around 20,000 a year with one good road trip a year. When young and working every day my 97 mile round trip was getting me 30,000 + most years. Rode both ways in rain this AM to meet old coots. That's the most my Vstrom ever gets a wash job.In the winter wash the road salt off some. My old 66 Harley chopper was washed more than any bike ever owned.Some of my sport bikes got wax all so.Now in old age washing my self is good enough for me.If some one on a nice clean bike has a lot of miles it does impress me but most do not.
I like a clean street bike but would rather ride if nice. :cheers:

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

Fred wrote: I have this re occurring dream of my feet hitting the ground and my face getting my chin ripped off on the grit of the tarmac, dunno where this dream could have come from.

I have the same dream! Your feet hitting the ground etc.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Re: refurbish wheels? A bitch fest

Post by Lechy »

Now, now, Nav, that's just wishful thinking on your part.

:lmao: [emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

old time rider
Back on the Road

Post by old time rider »

Blaine that is a clean good looking 1400 [emoji106] . Some of my Harleys may have been that clean when I was a young man but now with more free time its all about the ride. :putput: Still like to look at nice old cars and nice motorcycles. :cheers:

dwd58
Riding on Learners Permit
My Bike: 2005 s83

Post by dwd58 »

Blain that is a nice bike.

Blaine
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: 05 S83 07 M50

Post by Blaine »

Thanks.....Always a work in progress! :)
If at first you succeed,don't be surprised.

old time rider
Back on the Road

Post by old time rider »

From my old harley days still carry more tool wise than most.Lots do not know even how to get to the dinky little tool kit on most Japan bikes.BMW did have the best tool kits but you paid for them as price was high. None came with the three new Harleys I bought. Herb I had a windjammer and do recall the clamps and brackets for most bikes.They would not cover them in warranty on Triumphs because they shook too much.Would love to have a dollar for everyone put on a Gold Wing before Honda made them dressed. A few nuts and bolts,wire,duct tape,and hose clamps are still with me most the time and all ways on out of state trips. Lots that do not even change oil like to say"this piece of plastic will take care of me any where!" They have not been lots of places us old coots have were no cell service to get someone to take your plastic card..IMO the more you know about your motorcycle and a few tools with you the better you may be if you break down in the wilds. :putput: