Suzuki chrome

General questions not related to any bike specifically.
Every day questions, batteries, oil, spark plugs, etc. etc!
Think if it as the, Motorcycle Chit Chat Channel.
dwd58
Riding on Learners Permit
My Bike: 2005 s83

Suzuki chrome

Post by dwd58 »

Is it just me or is Suzuki chrome harder to maintain and keep in good shape than most other chrome. It seems like it has a thinner coating or something. Of course, our bikes are 12 plus year old or more, but most older chrome on cars, ect. seems to me much easier to maintain and keep from rusting or popping up.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Re: Suzuki chrome

Post by Herb »

The chrome that is on steel isn't a problem, but the chrome on the aluminum cases is. Very few cars, especially the older ones put chrome on aluminum so of course it would be easier to maintain.
Get a nick in the chrome on the engine cases and pretty quick like the chrome is bubbling from corrosion under the chrome. My right side cover was getting some bubbles right behind the rear brake master cylinder. Pulled on a little piece sticking out and the chrome peeled off of over a 3rd of the cover, with a bunch of corrosion under it.
Damn few of the older bikes had chrome on the aluminum and almost none of the older cars.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

Yes IMO not as good as Harleys owned. The screws and small bolts on my 1400 seemed softer than the lots of other suzuki bikes owned.May have just been a bad batch? I did use the right screw driver tips.You can mess up the head points by not doing that IMO. The 1400 did have a good tough motor for a big v-twin. [emoji106]

dwd58

Post by dwd58 »

With the chrome being laid over aluminum, is it possible to have the engine covers re-chromed?

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

On side covers did do my 66 chopper.Took it off and screwed it to a board through some of the bolt holes.Back then stock they had no chrome or polished to them.Looked a lot like your side walk.Started with sand paper then to fine emery cloth the last time.Used fine little wheels on sunk places like bolt holes.Then took polish in stick form from Sears and buffed with drill buff wheels till it was every bit as good looking as chrome.After sprayed with clear and it did really good the eleven years I owned it.A little retouch three times but it looked good.Try it on small piece first.It takes a good while but worth it if still into looks. :putput:
A far faster and good looking IMO is to just flat black heat paint big parts and polish or chome small stuff.They look so good next to each other. :cheers:

dwd58

Post by dwd58 »

Thanks, Old Time Rider

Brettmm92
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: Intruder 800

Post by Brettmm92 »

My own chrome has some very weak spots.
I really want to know what's underneath the chrome on my 2001 intruder 800.
I am into welding and metal working in general but chrome has been out of my jurisdiction.
Shoot for perfect, get great, think it's good

franktiregod
Joined a 900cc Club
My Bike: SUZUKI

Post by franktiregod »

It has a lot to do with how the bike was maintained and stored.

The chrome on my 1500 still looks new. It is parked in the garage. But I have looked at bikes with way less miles that were parked outside-sometimes with a tarp over it-and that chrome looked like crap.

The tarp actually holds moisture in and with nowhere to escape so its like putting your bike in a humidifier.

1sttightwad
Learning My Moped
My Bike: 2008 Suzuki s83

Post by 1sttightwad »

franktiregod.. You are right about it holding moisture.. I have mine under a Sportsmans' Guide large MC cover ($19 I think)...BUT.. I hike the front cover up over the front tire and under the fender..do the same with the rear.. That allows some wind to circulate and dry everything out. Let the lady show some leg and she will be just fine. Dave