Rigid struts

General questions not related to any bike specifically.
Every day questions, batteries, oil, spark plugs, etc. etc!
Think if it as the, Motorcycle Chit Chat Channel.
Leckbass
Got My M1 License!
My Bike: 1992 Intruder 1400

Rigid struts

Post by Leckbass »

I know some guys love them, I hate them. I really don't know why anyone would want them. What is good about them?

pmhearns12
Learning My Moped
My Bike: Suzuki s83

Re: Rigid struts

Post by pmhearns12 »

Leckbass wrote:I know some guys love them, I hate them. I really don't know why anyone would want them. What is good about them?

Dont know much about them... why do you hate them? I would assume its just a prefernce of ride? Also, perhaps the power is forced to stay at the wheel during hard acceleration rather than being dampened by the shock, but on the flip side, would it cause it lose traction is such situations due to less force being applied while trying to push the rear wheel ditextly via the strut?

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

Lots of your old bikes were hard tail with no swingarms with shocks.Some had really nice lines when chopped. Struts are really Bad on your back if you really ride much at all. Bar hoppers and ones that ride very little have them often. When drag racing made them from flat stock and holes for shock mont bolts and holes to mount wheelie bar. They do make a hole shot a little better but most seen on the street have never been on a drag strip just posers LOL.

Leckbass
Got My M1 License!
My Bike: 1992 Intruder 1400

Post by Leckbass »

pmhearns12 wrote:
Leckbass wrote:I know some guys love them, I hate them. I really don't know why anyone would want them. What is good about them?

Dont know much about them... why do you hate them? I would assume its just a prefernce of ride? Also, perhaps the power is forced to stay at the wheel during hard acceleration rather than being dampened by the shock, but on the flip side, would it cause it lose traction is such situations due to less force being applied while trying to push the rear wheel ditextly via the strut?
I shouldn't say I hate them I should say I hate the way the ride feels. I rode on one bike with rigid struts about five years ago and my back still hasn't forgiven me.

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

The help if only small would be not going side to side. A 1400 does really good hole shots stock to be a shaft because it has just low enough power not to make the shaft act like a jack rabbit on crack! [emoji2] A bike like the V-rod or V 65 Honda are a hand full at the strip out of the hole.Chain dive would be lots better for strip.
Good thing about the strip you don't hear "never been beat "and "bullet proof ." Everyone has good and bad days if you come every week and "When the green lite drops the Bull S**t stops is the best line IMO. :cheers: