Suzuki gz250 questions

General questions not related to any bike specifically.
Every day questions, batteries, oil, spark plugs, etc. etc!
Think if it as the, Motorcycle Chit Chat Channel.
pmhearns12
Learning My Moped
My Bike: Suzuki s83

Suzuki gz250 questions

Post by pmhearns12 »

So this site is for motorcycle querys of all sorts, right? Lol

Anyway... i have a few questions that can be applied throughout the motorcycle world, though, i am referring to my gz250. I am having trouble with battery. Fresh battery, lasts a few days and then its dead... does this point to the stator needing to be replaced? Battery statted at 12.5v and within a few days it was at 8ish.

Next queation... im going to mess with the gearing, maybe... but i want more low end torque... will adding 1 or 2 teetg to the REAR sproket make it too low where i wont be able to ride it around town since its only a 250 amd tops out at around 70mph. I am bobbing it out and want to cruise around town, no long distance and no highway speed, just a quick little bar bike if you will. I have been told that even -1 on the FRONT will make 1st gear useless and make it horrible to ride. I had -1+2 (front rear) on my gsxr and it gave me great low end torque compared to stock... i understand ones a 250 and the other is a trackin killing race machine but the concept should be the same...

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Re: Suzuki gz250 questions

Post by old time rider »

One or two to the rear is not much at all.The cheapest way is one less at front not much lost if you want to change back.Don't see how one in front would make it bad?Must be some forms on the net you can find for them.I like about all bikes and had the same Super 90 three times by taking it back in trade on big bikes.It looked so small the last time between a big four and my 66 FLH chopper. [emoji2] I rode and had fun on it every time owned.Even some 100 mile plus rides.My two SR 500 yamahas were my most fun solo rides on back roads. :cheers:

pmhearns12
Learning My Moped

Post by pmhearns12 »

old time rider wrote:One or two to the rear is not much at all.The cheapest way is one less at front not much lost if you want to change back.Don't see how one in front would make it bad?Must be some forms on the net you can find for them.I like about all bikes and had the same Super 90 three times by taking it back in trade on big bikes.It looked so small the last time between a big four and my 66 FLH chopper. [emoji2] I rode and had fun on it every time owned.Even some 100 mile plus rides.My two SR 500 yamahas were my most fun solo rides on back roads. :cheers:
I suppose you are correct avout the front. I was hoping to find a neat renthal sprocket for the rear maybe to add some modest flare. But yes i have a blast romping around on the 250, i love my s83 but that 250... its tiny and so light i feel nimble and light as if it were a pitbike or bmx almost [emoji106]. So the gearing in the direction im going would be good i feel.. i plan on even taking this little devil on some dirt roads and just hope i can get some quick accelaration going on.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

pmhearns12 wrote:So this site is for motorcycle querys of all sorts, right? Lol

Anyway... i have a few questions that can be applied throughout the motorcycle world, though, i am referring to my gz250. I am having trouble with battery. Fresh battery, lasts a few days and then its dead... does this point to the stator needing to be replaced? Battery statted at 12.5v and within a few days it was at 8ish.

Next queation... im going to mess with the gearing, maybe... but i want more low end torque... will adding 1 or 2 teetg to the REAR sproket make it too low where i wont be able to ride it around town since its only a 250 amd tops out at around 70mph. I am bobbing it out and want to cruise around town, no long distance and no highway speed, just a quick little bar bike if you will. I have been told that even -1 on the FRONT will make 1st gear useless and make it horrible to ride. I had -1+2 (front rear) on my gsxr and it gave me great low end torque compared to stock... i understand ones a 250 and the other is a trackin killing race machine but the concept should be the same...
Do a check on the charging system, even a broken wire could cause the problem.

I don't think that 1 tooth on the front or even a couple of teeth on the rear would hurt the top speed that much.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Blaine
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: 05 S83 07 M50

Post by Blaine »

Here is a link to the GZ 250 forum.....Alot of good people there (Including me [emoji2] )...

http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/index.php
If at first you succeed,don't be surprised.

pmhearns12
Learning My Moped

Post by pmhearns12 »

Blaine wrote:Here is a link to the GZ 250 forum.....Alot of good people there (Including me [emoji2] )...

http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/index.php
Unfortunatly, you and i are likely the ONLY ones on that site. It doesnt get much traffic it seems. There are 3 people with advice on there and i have found its not REAL informative or crawling with a ton of expericend techs. Hince my post avout the mystery gullies on the jug...knuckleheads before me used wrong head gasket... :bang:

Blaine
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: 05 S83 07 M50

Post by Blaine »

There are a lot ok noligable people there......If you do a search ..There isn't much about the GZ that hasn't been answered......I had one & put over 30000 k on it before I sold her.

If at first you succeed,don't be surprised.

pmhearns12
Learning My Moped

Post by pmhearns12 »

Yea i have a little help there but it doesnt hold a flame to the amount of experience and candor available here.

Anyway, i just got my battery back from charging and adjusted the carb... got it running quick... i have everything pulled off exept the battery, gas tank and front end... the rear is ready chop and ill be buying some mini blinkers and a new taik light. Lower struts and paint the tank... battery and wire re location and this will almost be done already...