What did you do to the motorcycle today?

General questions not related to any bike specifically.
Every day questions, batteries, oil, spark plugs, etc. etc!
Think if it as the, Motorcycle Chit Chat Channel.
old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Re: What did you do to the motorcycle today?

Post by old time rider »

Rode to Danville,Ky. again to meet the Old Coots. 40 and three of the ten rode in. Took the old 37 a drive a while ago to pick up a Harley frame a widow had told me to get if I wanted it. Hoped for a hard tail just to hang up to look at but what I thought it would be.A swing arm ,and my guess a 70s shovel. Mounts still in it and fat bob tabs. Numbers clear so can pin point it if I want. A front wheel in not great shape and being a 19 most likely a FX. Both well worth saving and may try to trade for junk I can use.My wife is so happy. :putput: :lmao:

old time rider
Back on the Road

Post by old time rider »

Rode home in light cold rain yesterday from back roads run. Raining when waking up today.Rain had come to a stop at pull out of 7:30 and ride to meet old coots again. Roads were not spaying water by time to Danville and one more of ten did ride in. He was on his C90. Good time and got to ride home at 40 degrees on roads with lots of dry strips :cheers: . Summer is long gone but as long as no ice is a ride day. :putput:

old time rider
Back on the Road

Post by old time rider »

Rode it as usual. So nice ride yesterday in the Sun and dry roads. :cheers: Today wet roads again to Danville but a warm 59. Three of us rode in of the ten that showed up. Ride back lots of dry spots but wind really getting bad and light Vstrom all over the place :tongue: .May drain gas out of Harley later and put fresh in.Starts right up but does not want to idle.Pop bowl on carb and check idle jet.

old time rider
Back on the Road

Post by old time rider »

Lot of owners and a few riders!.... Sunday took a cold ride in the 20s,Yesterday nice lots of sun and in the 40s.Took a 40 mile drive with wife in the old 37 truck then a two county ride on the Vstrom. Today to be up in the 50s with sun :clap: . Rode at 37 degrees this AM but nice and dry to meet old coots in Danville.. Five of 12 rode in.One on his new KTM 500 that is a lot more off road than on... :putput:

Forge
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: 99 Valkyrie Interstate- 05 S83

Post by Forge »

Late yesterday, I replaced my worn throttle sync cables. The plastic sleeve to the rear carb was wasted and kept wearing at the rate to where I was needing to re-sync the throttle every couple hundred miles. When I got the bike, the badly worn and frayed plastic was out of the metal ferrule and up against it and had been synced that way. I had tucked it back in and re-synced the throttle, but it was so badly worn by that point that it kept shifting and getting worse the more I rode her. While in it, I opened the carbs up and found badly out of adjustment floats, which I corrected. The front was too low and the rear was too high. The pilot jets were correct, but the main jets had been replaced with smaller than oem spec jets! We're supposed to have a 125 and a 140. It had a 120 and a 125. What the hell? Why would you go so much smaller? Luckily I was able to locate the correct size Mikuni jets in town and paid way too much for them but they're installed.

Yes, I had a shop go through the carbs when I got it because the bike had sat. I was too busy at the time to do it myself. They told me they had replaced the over sized jets that someone had installed with the correct oem size ones and they adjusted the floats and installed new float valves. The float valves and jets did look new, even though the jets were wrong and the float adjustment was wrong too. Chicken fuckers.

I took her around the block a couple of times just because I had to before putting her to bed last night. All I need to do is give her a proper fine sync adjustment and then it's play time. I really want to get out there and do it now, but I have quite a bit of cooking to do for tomorrow.
Arthritis sucks!

old time rider
Back on the Road

Post by old time rider »

Glad it seems to be coming together. The main reason I try to do my own work is I know who did what last and who to blame if its not right! :bonk:
Note to self ...stay away from Chicken fuckers bike shop! :wink: Really am glad you fixed it and may you put lots of nice miles on it. [emoji106]
Rode 31 miles of back roads at 40 degrees today but lots of sun and dry made it nice. Wife has cooked most the day and some kin folk and three motorcycle friends and wives coming for Turkey day. Cooler but still sun called for so should be great.Hope all of you have a good day and eat enough for a mild stuffed feeling but no one becomes sick.The left overs are what I like the best the next few days! :cheers:

Forge
Joined a 250cc Club

Post by Forge »

old time rider wrote:Glad it seems to be coming together. The main reason I try to do my own work is I know who did what last and who to blame if its not right! :bonk:
Note to self ...stay away from Chicken fuckers bike shop! :wink: Really am glad you fixed it and may you put lots of nice miles on it. [emoji106]
Rode 31 miles of back roads at 40 degrees today but lots of sun and dry made it nice. Wife has cooked most the day and some kin folk and three motorcycle friends and wives coming for Turkey day. Cooler but still sun called for so should be great.Hope all of you have a good day and eat enough for a mild stuffed feeling but no one becomes sick.The left overs are what I like the best the next few days! :cheers:
Oh, I am planning on over eating and taking a nap. It's my tradition.
Arthritis sucks!

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Today I redid the seat on the 1400. While working on it I found a corroded and partly burnt connector. When I cut it out the wires were too short (as usual) and I soldered in some new wires. What should have been a couple of hours ended up being almost 5 hours with the trip to the auto parts store to find wire of the same size.

When I moved last year I got rid of a bunch of my junk, now when I need something like that I have to go buy it.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

old time rider
Back on the Road

Post by old time rider »

I have as much junk as any two of my friends.Come to think about it its were I picked up some of it! If you don't take this its going to the dump! I give a lot away but just last week stop at a place that she had told me to take this old Harley frame. So of course I load it and a wheel I did not know was in the deal in the old 37 and now barn a little tighter on free room.Not as old as I wished for.A hard tail I would have just painted and hung on the wall.Think this one is a swing arm shovel.Think I saw a silver sicker still on it so may not have to run the numbers to find out?
Still riding every day and we are in a nice dry spell but lots of below 32 morning but still no elc gear hooked up yet.20s tonight. :putput:

m2h
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: 03 VS1400

Post by m2h »

Have been real busy trying to get my mancave progressed as far as i could before a rotator cuff op so not ridden for about three weeks. Day before op was nice so did a few jobs and thought id get a short ride in as i'll be off it for about 6weeks :blink: turned the thing on, pumped up the fuel and hit the starter - nuthin! lights on but not enough to turn it over. Charged the battery and put my tester on it - 30% healthy -98% charged. RELACE BATTERY :eek: Bike started ok but back jug showing wisp of black smoke. Been running rich for a while. Wonder if the dodgy battery may have something to do with that what y'all think? The spark has been lookin a bit thin and pinkish when testing coils. Oh well give me something to chase when i'm feeling better.
:cheers:
M2H
" Old Guys Rule!" :rock:

old time rider
Back on the Road

Post by old time rider »

The dry has made the every day rides so much better. Just got back from second ride toady. First to meet old coots then back to Danville at 1PM to dance with Doc.. They remember me because all ways on a motorcycle,and packing my gear in.Nurse was in the small room on a machine looking up something but did move it around with her back to me when he put the glove and lube on. She did not laugh so guess she did not peek? :lmao: Every thing about same and just a little better on blood reading so that is a good thing he said. Old age is not great but a still ok is good to hear next to come back next week :eek: . Guess I am not homo at all because after a good number of these still don't like it! This was a year since last one so guess he don't like me any more? He does have small fingers so could be worse. [emoji2] Stood up on the pegs more than usual on back roads coming home. :putput:

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Had to go get an eye exam this am, and they dilated my eyes, sunny today and couldn't stand the light. didn't even go look at the bike today.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

old time rider
Back on the Road

Post by old time rider »

Rode to town to take care of a few things. Took longer way home and 61,000 roll over on the little Vstrom . Rear tire may make it till spring? Will most likely start riding the low mile 09 I bought in Dec. when this one runs out of extra warranty in March. :putput:

old time rider
Back on the Road

Post by old time rider »

The nice warm for Dec. and dry day rides came to a end :tongue: .Had to ride both ways in the rain to meet old Coot friends in Danville. Only one of nine that rode a motorcycle in so got to tell them. Lots of owner's and a few rider's!" :cheers: Wet leaves are a real danger now.

old time rider
Back on the Road

Post by old time rider »

Just ten mile ride yesterday .Cold here now. 28 this AM on ride to Danville. Three of us seven rode motorcycles in. V-Strom,Bonnieville,and Tenaray. Stopped at shop on way home with the Bonnie and we were only motorcycles at it. Got me a new glove wire set as old one broken and only used elc. once last winter as have to hook to jacket out lets to use.Hands are the coldest part since taking BP meds. Most the time only use gloves so will use more now.Nice ride but clouds getting darker and a little snow called for week end. :tongue: :putput:

old time rider
Back on the Road

Post by old time rider »

Still riding it every day but some cold ones.Yesterday did not see another bike rode in two towns and stop at bike shop.18 and WC of 10 but not too bad with 20 miles longest with out a stop in the two hour two stops trip.May hook elc. back up on it today? Still far better than a cage! :putput:

Forge
Joined a 250cc Club

Post by Forge »

I pulled and cleaned my carbs on my 1400. Just before Thanksgiving, I had pulled them and replaced my worn throttle sync cables. While I was at it then, I opened them up and found some other issues. See Above.

So I was riding her and after going to reserves and filling back up, I noticed that the rear jug was starting to sputter right off idle. Damnit. I pulled my carbs and found that the rear transition ports were plugged. I probably got a little piece of crap sucked up in it. So I stripped them completely and used canned carb cleaner, a very fine wire to chase the ports, and compressed air and got everything spotless and flowing nicely. I also took this opportunity to run a new and longer fuel line from the lower petcock to the fuel pump and installed an inline fuel filter. I got her back together tonight, but left the tank off to fire her up and check my sync tomorrow. I should have installed the fuel filter a long time ago, but kept putting it off. :bonk:
Arthritis sucks!

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

Forge, if you have fitted this kind of fuel filter:

It will cause you more problems due to the fact that ethanol gas destroys the cement holding the paper section to the plastic body.

[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

Forge
Joined a 250cc Club

Post by Forge »

Lechy wrote:Forge, if you have fitted this kind of fuel filter:

It will cause you more problems due to the fact that ethanol gas destroys the cement holding the paper section to the plastic body.

[emoji41]
:shock: oh oh. The one I installed is the K&N 81-0261 cellulose (paper) media filter. It is supposed to be safe with methanol, which is a type of alcohol. I wonder about ethanol being a different alcohol...
Arthritis sucks!

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

According to K&N it should be good to go.

https://www.knfilters.com/search/produc ... ZR6OmApnJ-

The K&N 81-0261 In-Line Gas Filter is perfect for racing applications and can be used with a variety of oils and fuels including methanol.