What did you do to the motorcycle today?

General questions not related to any bike specifically.
Every day questions, batteries, oil, spark plugs, etc. etc!
Think if it as the, Motorcycle Chit Chat Channel.
old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Re: What did you do to the motorcycle today?

Post by old time rider »

RoadStar again yesterday and V-strom in light rain at start today then nice to Danville,Ky.. Back home really nice and called for rain still not around when out again at 1PM. :cheers: :putput:

old time rider
Back on the Road

Post by old time rider »

Rode to bike night Thursday . Rode 1600 a hour Friday.Today rode Vstrom to Danville to meet old coots.So warm all rode bikes in today. Heavy rains just North of us but so far none here. A while ago rode C50 for a afternoon fix. If I go over a day with out a ride may have to retrain :bonk: ! Lots of owners and still a Few riders. :putput: :cheers:

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Got the
GS1100GK out for a ride. Rode over to Carson City, up to Reno and back home. A little over 150 miles, with side trips and the long way around. Nice ride, did hit some gusty winds in a couple of the narrow places.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

old time rider
Back on the Road

Post by old time rider »

Got back from my to -do list on the motorcycle with really hard wind on way back. Rode the 1600 yesterday and the C50 today.
Herb the old 850/1000/1100 eight valves head suzuki's were really good bikes IMO. When was last year? Guess they went to CV carbs around 79/80 like most all Suzuki fours.

old time rider
Back on the Road

Post by old time rider »

I think the cams on all the eight valve 750,850,1000,and 1100 may interchange? When I got my new 1978 GS1000 the dealer that built my 1977 GS750 /843 with Yos cams took my stock cams from the 750 and put them into the new 1000.They were a little better at the strip.So I have a like new GS1000 eight valve cam in a box somewhere.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

old time rider wrote:Got back from my to -do list on the motorcycle with really hard wind on way back. Rode the 1600 yesterday and the C50 today.
Herb the old 850/1000/1100 eight valves head suzuki's were really good bikes IMO. When was last year? Guess they went to CV carbs around 79/80 like most all Suzuki fours.
Mine is an 83, only had a little over 9000 miles when I bought it. It has been down 2 years because in CA I couldn't afford the insurance and license on 2 bikes. The move to NV lowered my insurance on the 2 bikes to less than one in CA. I just got it back on the road, only has a little over 17,000 miles.

Really happy to have it back up and on the road.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

old time rider
Back on the Road

Post by old time rider »

Rode the Vstrom to meet old coots and 50 felt cool with too much summer gear on.After home from Danville and check IA started oil change on Vstrom.Draining now and looking up another bolt for side of skid plate.One is rounded from rocks in rough stuff. Draining now.May take another ride before dark.Still too much wind to be all fun. :putput:

old time rider
Back on the Road

Post by old time rider »

Same rides,1600 yesterday and Vstrom to meet old coots today.Had to ride home in the rain.Then my rod builder friend with the 32 roaster came over and we loaded my 37 chevy truck and it will be at his shop awhile.Just want it safe again and a few gauges in it.May take my 1600 for work he is going to do. It looked so small being hauled away behind the big crew cab.First time its been away from me since 1977.Two guys stopped going by thinking I had sold it.
Steady light rain all PM and they called off bike night tonight at dealership. :putput:

old time rider
Back on the Road

Post by old time rider »

Rain,rain,rain.Got a short ride yesterday on C50 between rain on wet roads.This morning rain had stopped but wet roads.Went on Vstrom to Danville and only old coot that rode a bike in. They did not go on a N.C. BMW meet trip because of too much rain. Made a stop at the motorcycle shop and thought the light rain would stop.Was a lot more of it when rolling out and all the way home.Kentucky Derby looks to be a muddy one today. :putput:

franktiregod
Joined a 900cc Club
My Bike: SUZUKI

Post by franktiregod »

I was sick for two weeks but I got better and we rode 200 miles yesterday. Rode today for about 60 miles. [emoji106]

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

98VS1400 wrote:
Herb wrote:

That is a nice bike! I used to have a GS850, I think it was a 1982 if I'm not mistaken. I only owned it for a short time back in the mid-90s. I was a teen back then and worked with a guy at the local KFC who used to be a Suzuki tech. Never learned what happened to his life but he was good 10-15 years older than me. Anyway, he did all sorts of work to the engine on that 850 in hopes of restoring it for himself. I'm guessing his alcohol problem contributed to him having to unload the bike to me for $500. Of course, back then, I was making like $4.65 an hour so $500 was a small fortune. I ended up selling the bike a few months later.

Whatever he did to that bike made it the fastest thing I had ever ridden, which ain't saying much because the largest cc bike I had ridden to that point was my father's VS700 Intruder. But that GS would cover some ground.

Anyway, you got a nice bike there, Herb.
Thanks.

Changed the oil on it today, took it out for a short ride, only about 20 miles.

Tomorrow I am planning a ride of about 250 miles. If the weather is nice my wife said she will go with me. ;)

old time rider
Back on the Road

Post by old time rider »

The first GS suzuki motorcycles were good bikes all but the 1978 GS1000 that would not take strip abuse as good as the other GS fours.
Still riding every day.Today rode Vstrom to meet...old coots... [emoji2] Then this PM call my friend that has my 37 chevy and he had a two man job getting the new motor mounts lined in.We worked on it about two hours and when done took a nice three county back roads ride by the locks and river along HW 68. :putput:

lonerider
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: vs1400

Post by lonerider »

So that ol 37 back on the road again? Good deal! [emoji106]

old time rider
Back on the Road

Post by old time rider »

No the ride was on our motorcycles.Got new f plug in,motor mounts,front U joint,and some front tie rod bits.37 still needs carb rebuild , new rear brakes , tune up and power glide rear seal.Worm gear is a maybe.

old time rider
Back on the Road

Post by old time rider »

Two rides yesterday,and one in the rain to meet old coots but nice dry and all most hot at go home time.Bike night called off two weeks in a row because of a little rain.Guess too many Hardley riders around? Time for it now but wet roads.Rain looks to be gone for hours now.

old time rider
Back on the Road

Post by old time rider »

Good thing about retirement stil ride every day and 95 percent of any where I go on the bike.Wife will not ride it a few places. Took the usual AM on the Vstrom to meet old coots.All rode in.Then later friend working on the 37 wanted some help so spent three hours after going over on the C50.We put gas,tranny fluid in,and water. Fired right up with charger but the 12 year old battery getting bad so went and got a new one.Then we took a two mile ride in it . :clap: 67 283 and power glide seem worth keeping.Need to put new front joint in drive shaft and steering gear needs replaced.Bad thing have no idea what is in it?Rear brakes shot and may put new carb on?At least it saw a little black top again for first time this year.I drive it like lots of motorcycle owners use the bike they have. :putput:

old time rider
Back on the Road

Post by old time rider »

Rode 1600 and C50 last two days .Vstrom to meet old coots this AM and loaded it up with camp gear before dark to go to Burkesville rally Friday. May rain but all ways fun time at it.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

Put a new set of front pads on the 800, metal to metal on one side, then went for a quick 50 mile jaunt around the canals. Beautiful day, 95 and a bit cloudy.

[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

old time rider
Back on the Road

Post by old time rider »

Rode the Vstrom with all camp gear to a rally.Not nice as rain most all the way but return far worse with one storm and then so strong wind guts.Arms still tired.High light bikes are like a sail boat in hard winds :tongue: :putput: .

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Took the GS out for a little 80 mile ride. The tach quit and when I took the cable off the engine end had been epoxied on some where in the past. Redid it with jb weld and ordered a new cable for it.