What did you do to the motorcycle today?

General questions not related to any bike specifically.
Every day questions, batteries, oil, spark plugs, etc. etc!
Think if it as the, Motorcycle Chit Chat Channel.
Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Re: What did you do to the motorcycle today?

Post by Herb »

Loaded it on the trailer and towed the thing for 400 of the 600 miles to my son's place. Would have much rather rode it, but a wife, a dog and all their trash will NOT FIT on my 1400.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

Herb wrote:Took the GS1100 out for a ride. A little over 50 miles, but it ran like a dream. My issue with flooding seems to have gone away, at least for the time being.

Hey Herb, my 750 caught your bikes sickness, front carb overflowing. I don't know how your float valve is set up but on mine it was the float stop tang that was letting the needle drop too far in the valve so when the float started to rise the needle would cock over a little and stick.

[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

Took the old 1600 RoadStar out for a good cool ride at 8:30 AM .Had the old thing about a year and still loud motor but same as when I got it. Oil stays same and not hating the 10 inch risers like I did. May take another ride before dark or take the wife in the 37. Like two good options. :cheers:
Glad the old in line is doing good again Herb. The old GS750,850-1100 two valve fours were such good motors IMO. Over kill I guess for first fours they made?Mine were not the best on mpg but sure made up for it on tough and take abuse better than any motorcycles ever owned. :putput:

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Lechy wrote:
Herb wrote:Took the GS1100 out for a ride. A little over 50 miles, but it ran like a dream. My issue with flooding seems to have gone away, at least for the time being.

Hey Herb, my 750 caught your bikes sickness, front carb overflowing. I don't know how your float valve is set up but on mine it was the float stop tang that was letting the needle drop too far in the valve so when the float started to rise the needle would cock over a little and stick.

[emoji41]
I was planning on bringing the 1100 to my sons place, but it started flooding again. I will check it out when I get home.

Not sure which card is flooding because the gas is going into the airbox. What is weird is that it doesn't flood on the center stand, but put it on the side stand and it is a steady drip.

Went out yesterday and today with my son. He has to keep waiting for me because the 1400 is no way capable of keeping up with his 'busa. He is a good sport about it though.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

my son has a pocket bike that hasn't ran in a couple of years. I spent a couple hours cleaning the carb and checking things out.

Rode it up and down the street. That damn thing is squirrelly as hell.

knees out in the wind, reaching between my thighs to get to the handlebars. Feels like riding a weedeater.

Kinda fun.

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

I did the same to my 800 today that I have done for the last three weeks... nothing. I can't get the DS tire to seat on the rim. :bang: If the WD-40 doesn't work I will buy a regular motorcycle tire and put it on. :bonk:
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Yesterday my wife and I rode the 1400 to Reno. Her hearing aid quit and Reno is the nearest place to get it fixed. After it was fixed we rode on down to Carson City and then back home. Total distance about 130 miles. Nice day, great ride.

old time rider
Back on the Road

Post by old time rider »

Sounds nice. My wife has not rode that far with me in over a year.She did go with me in the 37 truck 40 miles late yesterday to a cruise in.Had fun and saw lots of old friends that no longer ride but have a older car now. :putput:

old time rider
Back on the Road

Post by old time rider »

Sounds nice. My wife has not rode that far with me in over a year.She did go with me in the 37 truck 40 miles late yesterday to a cruise in.Had fun and saw lots of old friends that no longer ride but have a older car now. :putput:

1sttightwad
Learning My Moped
My Bike: 2008 Suzuki s83

Post by 1sttightwad »

Franktiregod... Shh.. Dammit.. Don't let others know just how beautiful and serene our back roads with the tree canopy over your head are. We, in South Georgia, are still blessed with some of the old county roads, etc., being left alone by the "tree trimming:" power companies. THAT is my FAVORITE thing to do on a cool Saturday morning.. Talk about clearing the mind of the previous weeks hassles it will do it every time.. Dave

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Worked on the GS1100. I THINK I finally got the leaking carb fixed. As soon as the weather gets better I will take it out and see if the problem comes back.

Tell you this much, if there is ever a reason for pod filter, that fucking air box is it. What a pain in the ass.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

Yep, I hated carb work on my CB 750. Had to number the boots so I didn't get them in the wrong place.
[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

Skipper
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: S83

Post by Skipper »

Mounted a small windshield and took it for a ride. Starting to get cool here so the wind protection was welcome.

Forge
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: 99 Valkyrie Interstate- 05 S83

Post by Forge »

Skipper wrote:Mounted a small windshield and took it for a ride. Starting to get cool here so the wind protection was welcome.

Skipper,
That is a beautiful pic. Where are you at?
Arthritis sucks!

Skipper
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: S83

Post by Skipper »

Thanks Forge, I live in the South West corner of Alberta.

Forge
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: 99 Valkyrie Interstate- 05 S83

Post by Forge »

Skipper wrote:Thanks Forge, I live in the South West corner of Alberta.
Nice.
Arthritis sucks!

old time rider
Back on the Road

Post by old time rider »

Took two rides on the Vstrom yesterday and changed oil in between rides. Still riding at least once a day. What has happened to Frank? Last post I saw was before the big rains and think he was in NC..Hope he's ok and still riding. :putput:

old time rider
Back on the Road

Post by old time rider »

Have not missed a day in a long time.Rode to Willysburg,Ky. early this AM.Talked with a long time even older than me car nut friend. His two sons as big in to it as we are. Went to the small bank and took two big CD that had matured and put them in my local bank before going home. My ..what to do with your money so it will out last you ...guy coming Tuesday to see what I need to do.Wife was sure I would not make it back with enough cash to buy another old truck or motorcycle.Did slow way down when I saw a 30/31 model A but looked too good to be cheap or for sale. 40s now and high of 59 today and high 30s tonight.Will be a cool ride to Danville in the morning. :putput:

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

What did I do to the bike today? The same thing I did yesterday and the day before and the day before that all the way back to the day I put the DS tire on the wheel and never got it to seat properly. :bang: I'm not in a hurry as I let the insurance expire while waiting for the energy to put that tire on the wheel correctly. So I did nothing to the bike in over a couple of weeks or longer. I'll get it on one of this days but it can't be rode without insurance so I'm not in any hurry. :bang:
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

Marauder03
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: Intruder 1400vs

Post by Marauder03 »

Spent a lot of time trying to get my horn to work wich failed, I know it works because I jumped it with a battery. The po I got the bike from hacked up the electrical wiring pretty good. Removed spark plugs and cleaned them, out em back in and seems to purr a little better.