Stator

General questions not related to any bike specifically.
Every day questions, batteries, oil, spark plugs, etc. etc!
Think if it as the, Motorcycle Chit Chat Channel.
thefuzz
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1996 intruder vs1400

Stator

Post by thefuzz »

Does this look burnt up? The coating is good. Wires are not broken.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: Stator

Post by navigator »

It does sit in oil. it may just be discolored, just my opinion.
Check the AC output and the connector under the seat for burnt wires or melted connectors.

thefuzz
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1996 intruder vs1400

thefuzz

Post by thefuzz »

Thanks Navigator.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Re: thefuzz

Post by Herb »

thefuzz wrote:Thanks Navigator.
A quick check is continuity between the 3 wires, and no continuity to ground on any of them. If those 2 things check out, the stator is good.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!
My Bike: VS 1400. Royal Enfield

Post by Fred »

Looks perfect.

Warning When you replace the stator (your picture is stator coils) be very carefull to check the magnetic stator has not picked up a bolt or even a small nut or screw, Catastrophe is the result.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Fred wrote:Looks perfect.

Warning When you replace the stator (your picture is stator coils) be very carefull to check the magnetic stator has not picked up a bolt or even a small nut or screw, Catastrophe is the result.
The stator is not magnetic, the rotor is the magnet.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Post by WintrSol »

Herb wrote:

True, but the stator can build up a small magnetic field, enough to hold very small bits; also, the two timing pickup coils can do the same, so make sure the inside of that whole chamber is clear of metal bits.
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

WintrSol wrote:
Herb wrote:

True, but the stator can build up a small magnetic field, enough to hold very small bits; also, the two timing pickup coils can do the same, so make sure the inside of that whole chamber is clear of metal bits.
I suppose it is possible, but I have never seen it.

I have changed out, at least, 6 stators, on a number of different bikes. NEVER had any magnetism on a stator. I have changed 3 on my 2 1400s, and never found any magnetism on the stator or the pickups.

As for keeping it clean and free of debris, that is a given with anything that is being put back together.

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!

Post by Fred »

The coils are not magnetic but the rotor is ---it has magnets in it.... This is how electricity is made my rotating magnets over coils of wire :bonk:

Put the rotor on the floor and you will pick up pliers let alone a nut or two.

Wether the rotor over coils or coils over rotor, all electricity on this planet is the same.

Here A1 motorcycle how to.

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/how-it ... ndamentals

As many as 6 times herb ---Wow.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

Fred wrote:The coils are not magnetic but the rotor is ---it has magnets in it.... This is how electricity is made my rotating magnets over coils of wire :bonk:

Wether the rotor over coils or coils over rotor, all electricity on this planet is the same.

Can you explain static electricity and lightning strikes to me?

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!

Post by Fred »

navigator wrote:
Fred wrote:The coils are not magnetic but the rotor is ---it has magnets in it.... This is how electricity is made my rotating magnets over coils of wire :bonk:

NO

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Post by WintrSol »

Fred wrote:
navigator wrote:

NO
:lol:
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

navigator wrote:

They are basically the same thing, both are types of static electricity which is caused by friction between different objects. This friction causes the movement of electrons from one object to the other, until the charge builds up to a point it can jump to an object with a lower electrical charge.

Lightning from a clear sky is caused by the movement of air currents of 2 different temperatures of air, usually in cloud formations. The warm moist air rises to the colder air and as it mixes the molecules rub on each other creating a static charge. While strikes sometimes do seem to happen out of clear sky, the clouds/storm can be many miles away.

When I lived in coastal NC we used to see lightning in clear sky and later the storm would move in. While reading on this I read that lightning can strike more than 20 miles from the place it is generated (I don't remember the exact distance but it was over 20 miles).

When I was on a aircraft refuel team we had to stop refueling when there was lightning 5 miles away. After reading about the 20+ mile range, anytime I could hear thunder, I wanted them to shut the fuel pits down. Working around a piping system of 8 inch pipes, full of JP 4, with lightning in the area is SCARY as hell.

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!

Post by Fred »

A tracer goes up into the sky before the static tracks down it. No ship can be damaged at sea as it is earthed to the sea along with any steel structure with anything in it.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

Fred wrote:A tracer goes up into the sky before the static tracks down it. No ship can be damaged at sea as it is earthed to the sea along with any steel structure with anything in it.
OK, Got it, ....so no coils or magnets heh?

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!

Post by Fred »

navigator wrote:
Fred wrote:A tracer goes up into the sky before the static tracks down it. No ship can be damaged at sea as it is earthed to the sea along with any steel structure with anything in it.
OK, Got it, ....so no coils or magnets heh?
Ahhh so thats what you wanted to say.

pmhearns12
Learning My Moped
My Bike: Suzuki s83

Post by pmhearns12 »

This thread took an interesting turn :lmao: