Tuning a recent purchase

General questions not related to any bike specifically.
Every day questions, batteries, oil, spark plugs, etc. etc!
Think if it as the, Motorcycle Chit Chat Channel.
jrsaw27
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 96 Intruder 1400

Tuning a recent purchase

Post by jrsaw27 »

First Post! Finally decided to get another bike.On My first ride it sounded loud and a bit like a harley (potato, potato) and back fired a lot. After i purchased it i did some research. This site is GOLD! With a little reading and some handy pics i was able to tune the forward carb to stop gurgling and hear it start to purr. I was amazing to hear it as i adjusted the carb. Big thanks to all the members and info on this site!

I am a new Suzuki owner and not familiar with the ins and outs. What kind of regular maintenance should i plan on? (Esp after getting a new-to-me bike).

What are some things i should look at for a yearly tune-up?

Also I have taken a look at the air filter and found a small puddle of gas at the bottom, what is this from?

1996 Intruder 1400

-JRS
-JRS
"Organization, although not always evident, is unique to one's own perspective."

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Re: Tuning a recent purchase

Post by WintrSol »

Not really much to do - electronic ignition, hydraulic valve lifters. Basic things, like oil changes (MC-rated oil, only), change the brake fluid at least every 2 years, clutch fluid every year, check the oil in the 'pumpkin' (rear drive unit). You should also check the air cleaners, which requires removing the seat and fuel tank; the stock ones are foam, and can get sucked in when they start to crumble from age. It will probably benefit from a good carb sync, both at idle and with the throttle open; this usually doesn't have to be done more than once, but once you know how, you may check it from time to time. Idle rpm should be about 1000-1100, BTW.
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie

Blaine
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: 05 S83 07 M50

Post by Blaine »

Shell Rotella=T is a good oil.....Reasonable priced & JASO (wet clutch) safe. :)
If at first you succeed,don't be surprised.

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

Have used Shell Rotella 15-40 in all my motorcycles and 37chevy truck the last twenty years or more.

jrsaw27
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 96 Intruder 1400

Post by jrsaw27 »

Its been awhile but update: followed the advice, ended up going synthetic just to give it a try. ive put about 4,000 and oil still *appears* to be clean and viscous. I like it, just a bit more expensive than I like.

also found a few great posts on carb balancing anf adjusting a/f on the carbs. Runs great. Thank you guys!
-JRS
"Organization, although not always evident, is unique to one's own perspective."