Any Indian Scout, or Harley Sporter 883/1200 owners (newish bikes)

General questions not related to any bike specifically.
Every day questions, batteries, oil, spark plugs, etc. etc!
Think if it as the, Motorcycle Chit Chat Channel.
Cerberus73
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 1986 VS1400

Any Indian Scout, or Harley Sporter 883/1200 owners (newish bikes)

Post by Cerberus73 »

Ok i was going to be doing up my intruder, but i have came into some disposable income. not a huge amount but enough to probably sell off some of my fleet and invest in a brand new bike. as I'm getting fed up doing more fixing than riding. and want something turn key to enjoy.

I have a few different models in mind and styles of bike, some of it comes down to money.. do i go get one now, or wait and save a little. but i keep thinking i want a cruiser, something with some go and grunt. and comfort.. I'm getting older and stiffer, so i need to ditch the plastic fantastics and get something more sit up or sit back. Ive considered a street scrambler version there doing of the SV650 here as a special at moment, the Yamaha MT-07 both are similar spec, and price. this i have the cash to go get next month when the 2017 models become available, or do i hold out 2-3 months, sell my GS500's (i have 2)and my honda C90 (passport to the guys in states) which i fully restored a couple of years back.. they are making good money for what they are so would add an extra £1500 to my total and i can save another couple 1000 to add in that time.. this brings me to my question..

Suzuki aint got nothing on there uk listings cruiser wise except the BOSS 1800 and thats like 13k.. out of my range.. even with saving more for a good while. so I've looked.. Indian Scout can be had for £10,500 if I'm paying hard cash no finance.. maybe less if i really shop around. and the 1200 sportster 48 is 9,995 RRP.. again maybe if handing over a wad of used notes a little less but HD dealers aint known for discounting much! and the 883 iron head is about £7795.. and i could do an almost instant 1200 big bore conversion and still be less than the 1200 from dealer. and the out there option is a Yamaha XVS1300 again under 10k new.

So being tallish, and long legged i want something engine wise about same as the intruder so 1000cc min in a cruiser, diff if its a higher tuned, lighter package like an SV650, able to crack 110-120mph so i can sit at 80 with no drama and still some go left for passing trucks etc.

Is the indian good for a 6ft 2" 33" inside leg guy without to much modding? same goes for a sportster 1200. i know like most things they can be customised.. but at first i couldn't afford to do this. so it have to be ok outta the box. Ive never considered a harley simply as they are a bit agricultural compared to the japanese, british and italian bikes I've been brought up with and ridden.. especially the more modern stuff. i need something reliable that isn't going to shit its innards over the road or drop oil like an incontinent 90yo. The appeal of a HD is simply the amount of stuff available to make it unique or more what our personal visions are. its like an ongoing rolling project. the appeal of the indian is of course the brand.. oldest bike I've ridden is a 1913 indian.. loved it. and the 5yr warranty.. downside is how long will it stick around? after polaris winding up victory so quick.. its a thought in these somewhat uncertain times.

How comfy are they for eating up the miles? range on tank? i will only ever buy 1 new bike in my life i want to make an informed choice if i can.. well unless i win the lottery or something.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: Any Indian Scout, or Harley Sporter 883/1200 owners (newish bikes)

Post by navigator »

I test rode an Indian scout, 100HP, very good torque, and only a little heavier than my 800.
if you buy new, they offer different foot peg locations, I rode the standard, but you may enjoy the ones more forward, I think the difference is about 2 inches.
They also have different bar options, and windshield heights....all factory.
The OEM saddlebags are quite pricey and very small.
I would have no problem taking the scout on a cross country ride.
I do not like the 883 sportster, not even for just around town.

Cerberus73
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Cerberus73 »

Thank you navigator for your reply, it does sound handy that they can be specced from factory with a couple of extra inches of space, i know from experience that can be all the difference between comfortable long distance travel and cramp. I would only get an 883 if i was straight off going to add a 1200 kit to it. as i think it be heavy and underpowered otherwise.its a fair bit cheaper than a 1200 from dealer. even once you add a kit to it.

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

Weight I think of 883 and 1200 are the same? Had two new 883 and even rode one way out west with all camp gear and shield and did not miss my big bikes at home at all. 55 mpg and 110 top end on trips.Put 11,000 on it in all most a year as a third bike with 0 trouble.I am only 5 11 with 32 inseam.
The smallest bike I ever got new was my 650 Vstrom but took longest trip on it.DeadHorse,Alaska with all camp gear and anything else the three and a half weeks and 10,300 miles.Around 900 miles of gravel with side trips. Thats the reason I got it.First on/off and first time I got a smaller motor over the bigger motor 1000.Just love that 650 motor and now has 54,000 and five years old in March.Wife will not get on it as too tall for her so we ride one of the big bikes. RoadStar and Harley when she goes.Solo like eight day camp/tour 015 trip to Colorado the Vstrom as usual is my pick for a trip bike.Does about any thing good and plenty of good power for such a small v-twin.You being tall bet you would like them.
Had six Harleys of over thirty bikes and fit/finsh really good.Would put them right in the middle for holding up.Looks wise all so love Harleys. Vstrom like a real good ugly old dog.Love it more all the time for what and how good it is.Ride as many as you can before a buy. Thats How I found I liked some bikes good enough to buy them that I would have never done with out the ride.Good luck :cheers:

Cerberus73
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Cerberus73 »

Thanks old timer, thats perfect, just the info i needed, a 883 is a LOT cheaper than a 1200 roadster for example, well here in the uk it is. so even adding a kit to take her to 1200 is way under the new price of the 1200. at least $2k less. I like the v-strom for the height, the upright position, and i will be using this bike for long distance travel. as i will hold onto a cheap small capacity (like 250cc) for around the city. The new bike will be my main go to ride for distance and reliability. i need to know it will get there, and get me back, i don't need ludicrous speed, but enough for passing trucks on a motorway. I keep getting drawn to the indian, I've liked them since polaris brought them out. my sister owned a kawasaki drifter (vulcan in states i believe)which was just a knock off of a 40s indian chief visually.. if you squinted a bit :D and the new scout just looks fast standing.. sure the pipes are a bit ugly, but those can be changed. my only worry is will they be around 10-15 yrs from now, will i still be able to get spare parts etc. I know a harley will have parts for decades to come, and theres so much available to make it your own.

I will take your advice and try as many bikes as i can. so i can make an informed choice, just good to get feedback from real world non shilling users. I never quite trust a magazine review.

old time rider
Back on the Road

Post by old time rider »

Like to read the reviews but would rather hear from someone with a lot of miles on one.The Drifter was a good looking bike IMO. Thought they nailed the look lots more than the SS powered stab at them on last Indian owners go around. This time the new motor looks good but like the plain jane regular shield and leather bags in looking like the real ones did. You see a lot of the Drifters fitted with Indian decals and fender head .I like the way the rear fender goes up and down with swing arm when riding behind them.The 800 with its smaller size and chain drive looked more like the real thing.
I had a 01 Nomad that had the same 1500 drive line.1999 back a plastic oil pump gear gave some troubles.Real smooth motor and put over 82,000 in less than four years as my main bike.They sure did not have a lot of top end for a big motor but would not feel strained at the shown 103 for miles.Only bike I ever put 1,000 miles on in a day .1,030 miles on last day back from Sturgis. It was not my best bike but Kaw was the best at getting me back on the road fast with over night parts for the fix.They were really great on the extra warranty I had.Gave me two new front fenders due to road salt doing them in. :cheers:

dwd58
Riding on Learners Permit
My Bike: 2005 s83

Post by dwd58 »

That drifter is one ugly bike to me.....

MattSunn
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Sportsters

Post by MattSunn »

Like navigator, I test rode the Indian Scout. The engine and trans are wonderful, very quick bike. And, I suppose, a better bike for a taller person than a short person due to the seating position. Even with the standard pegs and bars, I found it to be uncomfortable and I don't think I could have ridden it more than fifty miles without having to get off. Oh, and the stock seat is godawful, but I understand Corbin has a very good replacement available. The rear suspension has very short travel and is very harsh over sharp edged potholes etc. It's not a bike I would pick for longer distance travel. Out of all the different Sportster models available, I would pick the 1200T if I was going to tour on a Sporty. Comes complete with bags and a windshield. The 1200T along with the 883 Superlow also have radial tires instead of the bias ply tires mounted on other models. I won't say the difference is night and day, but it is an improvement as far as the already good Sportster handling. The only thing, you as a tall person, would have to add would be forward controls to allow you to stretch out a bit. You can also add a crashbar and mount highway pegs for even more stretch if you feel the need. An 883 with a 1200 kit(1250 kits are also available) will still retain the 883 gearing. You'll be able to beat factory 1200's off the line(not by much), but the gearing spacing on the 1200's works much better in a touring situation. I'd recommend you test ride the bikes you mentioned, because they are a whole different animal than the ones you've been riding and you may find you don't like the handling, seating position, engine response etc. It would be a shame if you plunked down all that money and came away with a bike you don't like.

old time rider
Back on the Road

Post by old time rider »

Drifter looks like what they were shooting to copy in looks from the Indian Chief with its full fenders.I thought the 40s Chiefs were the best in looks only bikes ever made.Others hate them so bad [emoji2] .Good thing we don't all like the same .My big trouble is I like way too many bikes. :bonk: My wife agreed with the wife on one of the Pickers shows.'The Funeral is at 11;00 and the auction is at 2:00. She may very well do that :bonk: ! Told her I want a bike line at mine.Just like the ones I have been in for good friends.All so a few I barley knew but got a request to be in as he said he had rode with me years back.

ntruderJ
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: Vstar 1300t and Intruder 1400

Post by ntruderJ »

I'll throw in my 2 cents on the XVS1300, I have the tourer version that comes standard with shield, leather covered hardbags, and passenger back rest. I'm 6'4" and the only thing I did comfort wise was move the floorboards forward 3". It cost $50 and took about 45 minutes of work.

The 1300 is buttery smooth for a Vtwin, it is more of a large bore, short stroke engine and is a little happier running in higher RPMS. It's not going to run with the Scout, but will easily outperform the sportsters. The 1300 is already a fairly light bike, and an extremely low center of gravity makes it feel even lighter. I've added several things to my 1300, but that's just making it mine, the only thing I felt that it had to have was the floorboard extensions.

Jason