Electroplating? anybody done there own.

General questions not related to any bike specifically.
Every day questions, batteries, oil, spark plugs, etc. etc!
Think if it as the, Motorcycle Chit Chat Channel.
Cerberus73
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 1986 VS1400

Electroplating? anybody done there own.

Post by Cerberus73 »

I have a small fleet of bikes including my intruder 1400, and all need regular maintenance, or rebuilds. and because we get salted roads here, the finishing on a lot of parts ends up looking like crap.

After looking at what needs doing, on my intruder, and other 2 wheeled junk. i decided to give home plating a go. as well as other chemical means of stripping old finishes, so far I've procured a zinc/nickel kit from a supplier here, a chrome stripping kit, and a nickel stripping kit. I am also going to look into copper plating as it can be handy for filling in minor pitting before further plating, or coating.so this is stuff i would like to start a thread on, as I'm sure others have done it before, and will know the pitfalls, and what is feasible and not. I used to get my neighbour to do my plating as he worked at a proper shop, they did everything except chrome.. unfortunately no one within 150 miles or so does chrome to me. but his bosses started giving them earache about doing side jobs. so now this route is not available.

What kind of success have fellow site members had with electroplating, what is possible to the home restorer? i plan on replating all my carb fittings and linkages. any fasteners that need refinishing, especially stuff that can't be replaced by stainless. and i want to strip the chrome off engine covers, driveshaft cover, so i can get them powder coated satin black. same with shock springs, covers (i have some form of progressive suspension shocks, look kinda like there 412, but bottom cover don't take a C spanner like the ones on site now does to adjust) same with fender struts, id like to strip plating and powder coat em.

I was considering doing a zinc/nickel coat, then copper on the engine covers before powder coating. to fill in any minor pitting. same with wheel rims.. if i can't source the stainless ones I'm looking at in germany at the moment. i won't passivate the zinc on these, as i know that causes issues with powder coating. but the zinc/copper would hopefully act as a extra layer of corrosion resistance.

Can anyone categorically say if the stator and clutch covers are steel or alloy on the 1400 intruder? as I'm unsure if i can use the chrome and nickel stripper i have on alloy parts. and don't want to ruin them.

So any advice, tips, do's and dont's? has anyone ever done copper plating? any lists of supplies needed to do various types of plating? as buying the small quantities available in these kits can get expensive, and after looking i can pick up most of the stuff to make electrolytes cheaper from industrial suppliers. any recommendations as to what kind of power supply would be best.. the "thing" in the kit is a bit rube goldberg/heath robinson for my tastes. it basically uses some wire to turn power to heat by resistance using a battery or 12v charger.. would prefer something more made for the task.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Re: Electroplating? anybody done there own.

Post by Herb »

Never done any plating.

I can tell you that all of the engine cases and covers are aluminum alloy.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Cerberus73
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Cerberus73 »

Thanks Herb, thought so, but just wanted to check.. damn don't think i can strip them at home then. i will double check elsewhere on tinterwebs. but I'm sure i read alloy was a sod to get chrome off on… the nickel stripper is nitric acid based.. and the information is somewhat conflicting regarding its suitability on alloy.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Cerberus73 wrote:Thanks Herb, thought so, but just wanted to check.. damn don't think i can strip them at home then. i will double check elsewhere on tinterwebs. but I'm sure i read alloy was a sod to get chrome off on… the nickel stripper is nitric acid based.. and the information is somewhat conflicting regarding its suitability on alloy.
My cases and rims have started to corrode and the chrome is coming off. Peals off in big strips. I am going to wait until most of it is off then sand and paint them.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by FallenAngel »

Cerberus73
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Cerberus73 »

Yup Herb, thats what happened to mines, basically every chromed part is starting to look like Freddy Krugers face. so I'm going to strip the chrome back to base metal, and powder coat the lot. including blacking out the motor.

I think I will stick a post onto a plating forum asking for clarification on alloy castings. as i have found some products on caswell's site for taking nickel off aluminium. but since i already own a shitload of nitric acid at 50% concentration i want to check whether i can use that. seems it is used for stripping off old anodising. so can't be to rough on alloy.. i would think :uhh:

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by FallenAngel »

Here is more on Electroplating and Chroming

http://www.finishing.com/faqs/chrome.html

Seems there is a good reason's for so few shops that chrome plate

Also I found some videos that may be useful
https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/sear ... mp=yhs-001

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by FallenAngel »

Cerberus73 wrote: Can anyone categorically say if the stator and clutch covers are steel or alloy on the 1400 intruder? as I'm unsure if i can use the chrome and nickel stripper i have on alloy parts. and don't want to ruin them.
Sorry I missed this question

The covers are Aluminum and I have had really good results polishing Aluminum to a bright mirror finish