gasoline in air box

General questions not related to any bike specifically.
Every day questions, batteries, oil, spark plugs, etc. etc!
Think if it as the, Motorcycle Chit Chat Channel.
ardo
Studying MC Handbook

gasoline in air box

Post by ardo »

Hi all, how do I get gas in the air box? I think the petcock is off. is it faulty pet cock or what you think?

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Re: gasoline in air box

Post by Herb »

Not sure what you are asking.

Is it the front or rear one?

How much gas is in the air box?

There will always be a small amount of gas kicked back out of the carb, when the engine is running.

If it is a lot, the carb is probably flooding due to a bad needle valve or a sticky float.

Considering that the gas goes from the fuel pump to the rear carb then uphill to the front carb, if the rear carb is flooding, there will be hoses full of gas that will drain back into it even if the petcock is shut off.

I never shut the petcock off unless I need to for maintenance.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

ardo
Studying MC Handbook

Post by ardo »

thank you for responding, it is the rear carb, this is the first time it happened I noticed a small dripping from the airbox discharge hose I opened the airbox the bottom of the foam filter had caught some gas I dried it, the dripping stopped, I went about half hour ago there was no dripping

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!
My Bike: VS 1400. Royal Enfield

Post by Fred »

Have you changed your exhaust system?

ardo
Studying MC Handbook

Post by ardo »

sorry for delayed response, no I did not change anything , I checked the oil level it showed normal , Ill replace the oil regardless but it is not leaking any more so I am hoping it it a one time stuck something , needle or float ball.
thank you for your interest I appreciate it very much