tires vrses mileage

General questions not related to any bike specifically.
Every day questions, batteries, oil, spark plugs, etc. etc!
Think if it as the, Motorcycle Chit Chat Channel.
ardo
Studying MC Handbook

tires vrses mileage

Post by ardo »

Hi all, is there such thing that one tire gets better gas mileage then other?

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Re: tires vrses mileage

Post by WintrSol »

Maybe, but I've never seen anyone make that comparison. For certain, tire pressure will have a greater effect than brand.
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

Have not put my own tires on much at all in the last ten years.Only two at home in last five.I do all ways take wheel off the bike and in to have tire put on .Have found a $20 mount and balance now that I may use from now on.Some tires do give lots more wear but compounds may change over the years and what did wear so good may now have went to softer.May mean better grip and more even wear but lower miles.In the 70s I ran a lot of Avon RoadRunners because they would get as high as 12,000 on the rear of GS750 fours if not many drag races done on them.Tried one on my 961400 and only got 7,000!It sure did not have the power of a GS 750 four so did not run any more.
The only rear tire I ever got 20,000 on was a M. high tour.It was on a GS 500 work bike.Have all most 11,000 on rear of C50 tire now.If you can get 50% more miles the change cost can add up.If you do your own mount and balance and do not mind it go for cost but feel on road means a lot.Some of the cheaper softer dunlops really wear even but not a lot of miles.If less than 8,000 miles rode a year like most they may be a good choice for a fresh set every fair weather riding year.

Leckbass
Got My M1 License!
My Bike: 1992 Intruder 1400

Post by Leckbass »

ardo wrote:Hi all, is there such thing that one tire gets better gas mileage then other?
I think that is much more applicable to cars than bikes

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

I have used many different brands of tires, including running the radial car tire I have on now. Never could tell any measurable difference in gas mileage between tires.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

As usual did not read right. :bonk: The main thing in mpg IMO is as WintrSol posted psi .On trips and loaded down with camp gear go more psi front and rear. Even with the weeks of camp gear tied on still get best mpg on these trips with over posted mph most the time.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

old time rider wrote:As usual did not read right. :bonk: The main thing in mpg IMO is as WintrSol posted psi .On trips and loaded down with camp gear go more psi front and rear. Even with the weeks of camp gear tied on still get best mpg on these trips with over posted mph most the time.
I wouldn't know, I very seldom run much below the speed limits. Might get better mileage if I ran at 30 mph, not gonna bother to find out.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.