idle up and up

General questions not related to any bike specifically.
Every day questions, batteries, oil, spark plugs, etc. etc!
Think if it as the, Motorcycle Chit Chat Channel.
ardo
Studying MC Handbook

idle up and up

Post by ardo »

Hi all, wondering what makes the idle go up when the bike 1400 is in stop and go traffic ? anything wrong or it is normal ?

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Re: idle up and up

Post by Herb »

These are a lean running engine to start with, when the engine gets hot, like stop and go traffic, it leans out the mixture even more, causing a higher idle speed.

Even with my idle screws out about 2 1/4 turns my 99 will do that in really bad traffic.

I have found that turning the choke/enrichener valve about half way will slow the idle down. Don't forget to turn it off when traffic picks up or it will blubber and be hard to start, experience talking...
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!
My Bike: VS 1400. Royal Enfield

Re: idle up and up

Post by Fred »

Mine too is all over the place and I only ride at sea level.

Answer-- Take out the mixture screws taking care to catch the spring, washer and o ring, (if you dont have a washer or an o ring this will make it worse)

Drill into the screw a little and epoxy in 4 inches of speedometer cable. Then epoxy in the other end an old valve cap on the other end.

I can now adjust mixture at the lights or even when riding for a sweet spot.

Mind you I don't move them much.

I also don't have a synch cable,--- I have 2 seperate idle adjustments the rear already having its own. The front is adjusted by the old sych cable that is now no longer attached to the rear carb.

Makeg an adjuster with a cable adjustment screw. Not only can I adjust idle I can synch at the lights too. Basically all that means is keeping both carbs pulling the same with similar mix,--its not rocket science. Ok 4 screws to juggle but its easy

All done by feel but thats another story.