petcock question

General questions not related to any bike specifically.
Every day questions, batteries, oil, spark plugs, etc. etc!
Think if it as the, Motorcycle Chit Chat Channel.
ardo
Studying MC Handbook

petcock question

Post by ardo »

Hi all, I have problem with the petcock on 2000 intruder 1400, as it gets hot get very hard to turn it from any position, are this petcocks rebuild able?
also when the bike gets hot in traffic the idle seems to get up higher, are these things normal for this bike? any advise is welcome, and appreciated. Thank you

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Re: petcock question

Post by old time rider »

My 96 did that a few times in the 45,000 I put on it.I would hit it with a little good soak oil right in the inside of the lever and would be ok after a little set. They had a recall on mine.I bought it six months old and 1,300 from the dealer after a new bike trade in.Was still under warranty when I started smelling gas so I started looking close at all the lines etc. on my old Harley next to it.Then one day when I went to turn it on a drop of gas was on the petcock! After telling the Harley sorry :lmao: looked at it every day and put a paper towel around it when in the barn.Sure enough it was a very minor leak. Told the dealer and he was really over run so told him I will put it on as I did work at the place a few hours a week some years before.About a month later got a letter in the mail of a recall for them. [emoji2] They are easy to change if need be.Good luck. :cheers:

ardo
Studying MC Handbook

Post by ardo »

Hi Thank you for your reply, I had to replace the fuel pump and the hoses that comes out of the gas tank to petcock, I sprayed with carb leaner so I know it is very easy to replace, but do you think it is re-buildable ? I can get a new one OEM for $ 85.00, what you think?

old time rider
Back on the Road

Post by old time rider »

I would hit the bone yards close first and most will let you look before you buy.So work it before you buy it.Since the 60s have had good luck with yard parts and sometimes for over 90% less than new.

Spyder
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: S50----

Post by Spyder »

:confused: :eek: :funnylast: :confused: :lmao: :Umm: where's the asshat emoge?

old time rider
Back on the Road

Post by old time rider »

He must be really old? They have a hard time staying on topic. :Umm: Maybe we could make a SPECIAL place for him to post. They have done it to some of the SPECIAL old ones before. Glad I thought of that. :cheers: